Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If nothing else, long fast walks every day can help a lot. Start wearing a day pack and add water bottles as you get in shape. A 5 mile walk wearing 30 lb gets the heart going a bit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be 67 in a couple weeks. I've used to hike the hills around here, but winters and some summers kind of got in the way. Joined a gym sponsored by the local hospital so I can go year round. I usually go 4-5 days a week. Hit a few of the weight machines, mainly the back extention, rear delta, stomach crunch, and shoulder press with the back extention being the only one I really add a lot of weight to. Then comes the tread mill or eliptical on alternating days. On the treadmill I raise the angle as high as it will go and set the speed to 3.5 mph. Once my heart rate hits 150 I drop a couple degrees. Keep adjusting the angle to keep my heart rate in the mid 140s. This one I go 30 minutes on. The eliptical I set with a fat burn program giving my weight, age, heart rate target and go for 20 minutes.
Three years in now at the gym and I can pretty well hunt daylight to dark on our family pheasant hunts.Some of that CRP will kick my backside, but this is the only way I'm still hunting so I'll keep it up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hiking/walking with a pack on uneven ground.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
General farm labor all year long, cutting, maul splitting, and stacking fire wood, driving fence posts with a 35lb driver, a couple trips up the mountain or down in the hell hole and back out has my legs and lungs blown out and ready for another year in the woods.

Trump Won!
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If nothing else, long fast walks every day can help a lot. Start wearing a day pack and add water bottles as you get in shape. A 5 mile walk wearing 30 lb gets the heart going a bit.

I used to run the treadmill at 4.5 until I got the heart monitor. It was 200. I thought it was high so asked at the front desk. They told me to keep it below 150. Therefore I started backing down till it's under control.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
“I’m too old” excuse is lazy and puts you one step closer to hospice.

220 minus your age is max heart rate.

Last edited by callnum; 12/30/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I am a strict follower of the cigar, whiskey and bacon diet.

Wife just informed me it's supposedly National Bacon Day.

I missed it this morning.

I'll double down tomorrow perhaps.

Geno

PS actually we just picked up an ancient exercycle to add to our walks and such.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Check out bosu ball. Fantastic for balance, strength, cardiovascular. Can be as easy as you want it or can kick your ass.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Keep going good men, I need to get motivated.

That's the hardest thing about keeping in shape, Wabi.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by callnum
“I’m too old” excuse is lazy and puts you one step closer to hospice.

220 minus your age is max heart rate.

“How to determine your ideal running heart rate

To determine your ideal running heart rate, you’ll first need to calculate your maximum heart rate.

To calculate your maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220.

For example, if you’re 30 years old, your maximum heart rate would be 190.

Keep in mind, this is just a guide. Your maximum heart rate may vary 15 to 20 bpm in either direction.

The American Heart Association recommends exercising with a target heart rate of 50 to 75 percent of your maximum heart rate for beginners, and for moderately intense exercise.

You can work at 70 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate during vigorous activity. Follow the table below as a general guide. Your heart rate may be 15 to 20 bpm higher or lower. Use a monitor to keep track.”

75 and I can hit the low 170’s before crashing. Doc says don’t change anything now based on all tests.

Last edited by battue; 12/31/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue

75 and I can hit the low 170’s before crashing. Doc says don’t change anything now based on all tests.

Damn, son!!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to that my max should be 153, I often hit 153-154. Asked the dr about it and he said as long as it doesn’t bother you keep it up

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by battue

Damn, son!!!

Hmmm,
Doc said the same. 👍

Treadmill Doc didn’t come close to stressing me. “Doc, there is more to give.” “Your done, I don’t need someone your age dying on my watch. Go change.”

Last edited by battue; 12/31/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Is this booby maintenance or baby maintenance?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
At age 70 I walk one mile every day and try to work in a 2-3 mile walk a couple times a week. I work out at the gym three days a week using the cable machines and bosu ball for balance/equilibrium improvement. I alternate days doing upper body one day and lower body the next, so far I have maintained my weight and my blood sugar and blood pressure are within my doctor's guidelines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't swim due to mucked up shoulders, can't walk very far due to arthritic knees. What am I left to do? And I'm only 53!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I walk from two to five miles, over varied terrain, carrying a rifle, everyday. In the winter, I use snowshoes, if necessary. When it's icy, I use those slip-on studded shoes. I lift weights (not too heavy, high reps), and hit the speed bag and heavy bag. I quit sparring five years ago, on advice from the Dr., due to some neck problems but I'll still do a round now and then. I'm 70 and am still doing OK. One thing I find is that things go wrong more easily. A few weeks back, I bent down to pick up a nail, my back popped, and I was crippled for two weeks. I still managed to walk but had to use a cane! I guess these are the golden years.
From the time I was about 10 years old, I have been taking that walk with a rifle and it helps me feel good. GD

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by AB2506
Good topic. I suggest changing the spelling on the title.

To what?
get with Eyeball first.

Kin he spel?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Ringman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
gunswizard,

You sound like you're in very good shape.

Triggernosis,

I feel for you, man. There is something worth a try. Call the elders of a church and have them anoint you with oil in the name or Jesus. It sure can't hurt and I have seen complete healings. I can't recommend a church 'cause I don't tend to go there.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
well since i got these testosterone pellets and have been working out 17 inch biceps are coming back...and i can see making the 18 inch i always wanted too.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.