Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who is currently making 16ga shotguns?

Browning A5? who else?

Arcus Venator

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lot of new Citoris floating around. Barrett is making one. Think Franchi is also making an over/under too. I'm enjoying my Citori.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Most of the Spanish side by sides are offered in 16 gauge.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Been enjoying my Dickinson SxS the last few years. Got it from Cabelas, there is a place to order custom if wanted. I've seen some talking about the Iside, think it's Italian. CZ has a couple. Franchi has a nice o/u

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What price range are you considering?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was just curious as to what is out there. Price range would be around 2K and under.

I am not a super shotgun aficionado/collector. More a hunter looking for something a little different.

Arcus Venator
There is a CSMC RBL for just under $3K on Guns International listed by Griffin & Howe. I know this is more than you want to spend, but this one has all the features I'd want.

English stock, double triggers and weight around 6.5 pounds. I actually have met the owner and he just had them drop the price by $1K to try to move it.

When he ordered it from CSMC he asked for a specific weight, regardless of grade of wood because the RBL 16's have a reputation for weighing near 7 pounds with higher grade/denser wood.

I had one but sold it because it was too heavy in my opinion, When I first saw this one I said to my self that I'd have gladly traded for and probably been happy.

Good luck in your search.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Although you can still get barrels it looks like Ithaca dropped the 16. I was going to mention them, but decided to make sure first. What a shame. I had thought about giving one of those to my kid when she graduates. I'll have to look to the used gun sales now.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
On the Economy side, there is the Stevens 555, Not sure where it is made, but the one I held felt....ok. I was expecting less. I thought it felt about as good in the hands as the Franchi sitting next to it.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Although you can still get barrels it looks like Ithaca dropped the 16. I was going to mention them, but decided to make sure first. What a shame. I had thought about giving one of those to my kid when she graduates. I'll have to look to the used gun sales now.

I bought one of the new production model 37 pumps a couple years ago. Shot 50 rounds and sold it.
Was very heavy.

NRA Patron
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought that gun from him and also sold it because of weight.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for all the information. Been perusing through GI,Gunbroker, etc. Some absolute stunners out there, but not wanting to part with that much cash. Looks like New Browning A5, BPS, or a Citori would be best option.

Opinions on the A5? I have handled Citori's.
Would like to stay away from pumps and side by sides (can not seem to hit anything with a sxs).

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by dale06

I bought one of the new production model 37 pumps a couple years ago. Shot 50 rounds and sold it.
Was very heavy.
That is interesting. My old one is nice and light. It is what I carry mountain grouse hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CRS- I got one of the new A5's last year (28-inch barrel) after I finally found one with wood I liked. Took a few sharptail and pheasant last year and some dove this fall. No problems with several factory loads and handloads; very nice and light to carry. I think it's the best of the current production single barrel guns.... Not that there's a lot of them!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Franchi Infinity SL in 16 ga and love it! 5.5 pounds, recoil not that bad, I expected worse. Very straight grain wood, but pretty wood is heavy wood. Fit and finish is excellent!

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am still shopping, and want to thank everyone for the replies.

Arcus Venator
K
K
I have a Fair 16 ga model 600, put adjustable butt plate on it and it breaks Clay's really well now that it fits me. My son just bought a FAIR Iside prestige deluxe 16 ga s x s and he loves it. Nice and light. Small fore end so you would want a glove due to barrel getting warm. I have 2 other FAIR over unders in 28 and 20 gauge, light and fast to point. SLX692 models. Really nice to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
CZ has at least one offering in SxS, O/U and auto models.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

Was very heavy.

And I now have one of the new A5 s. Have not had a chance to shoot it much, but is very light, and functions flawlessly.

NRA Patron
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
since im from the old school, tell me why lighter guns are popular these days.
just the thought of a 5.5 lb gun makes me flinch.
all guns in my generation were meant to be heavy to absorb recoil.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You shooting clays with the LW or carrying it for a long day in the field? For all day carrying in the field, LW’s have been popular with the old school hunters for a long time, for the obvious reason of all day carrying.

What kind of flinch? Recoil related or visual.. all flinches are not due to recoil, but you already know that.

Addition: just re-read your post..you are not actually using a LW in the field, only imagining using a LW sometime. Do so, and the answer will be obvious.

Flinching is rare when one shoots instinctively at game that presents itself quickly and unexpectedly. Mainly because the thoughts are also fleeting and quick.

Last edited by battue; 06/05/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just a quick update, Still looking, just have not found the one yet. I will certainly post pics once a 16ga finds its way home.

Arcus Venator
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looked at a Stoeger O/U today. ICl/Mod

Too heavy for my taste, it did fit fit me though.

Arcus Venator
S
S
Just purchased Franchi Instinct SLX 16 ga. Comes with 5 extended choke tubes, C IC M IM F. My copy weighs in at 5lb 4oz. Excellent fit and finish.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

anybody remember the guy who had the sweet 16 for sale awhile back.....bob

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Post # 14886083
5-17-20
by Leroy Jenkins

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

thank you......bob

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Was very heavy.
That is interesting. My old one is nice and light. It is what I carry mountain grouse hunting.

The old ones (like I grew up with) were true 16 gauge guns and an absolute delight as an upland gun. The new ones (and I fear, most of the new "16 gauge" guns are built on 12 gauge receivers and, to compound the sin, 3" 12 gauge receivers. I have always felt that there is no better fit for a full-sized adult male than a true 16 gauge birdgun.

I don't know if there's a true 16 gauge repeater made these days. Might better find a nice SXS . My 16 gauge guns today are a Fox Sterlingworth and a Merkel 1620. If I could find a vintage 16 gauge Ithaca in good shape I'd jump on it, but it seems every time I come across one of those or a vintage A5 16 gauge in a gun shop it's got a damn Polychoke on the end of it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a Franchi SL O/U and a Dickinson Estate SXS , both in 16 Gauge. Both are wonderful upland shot guns. I find no practical difference between them and my 20"s, but I enjoy odd ball stuff. That is one of the reasons, as I sell of my rifles I'll always keep my 300 H&H, 7X57, and 6.5X55.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a new Dickinson Estate 16 and frankly, I cannot believe the very good wood, fit and finish at the price point — +/- $2k.

Dickinson specifies and imports them from Akus, Turkey.

ETA: correction: built in Huglu, Turkey BY the Akus factory I believe.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 09/26/20.
H
H
Made in Turkey by Kahn Arms. Good reliable guns.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
When I'm after game , rabbits or feathered I never feel recoil on game. Never thought about it. But walking around all day makes me glad I have a light 16.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by bobski
since im from the old school, tell me why lighter guns are popular these days.
just the thought of a 5.5 lb gun makes me flinch.
all guns in my generation were meant to be heavy to absorb recoil.

For me personally, I do alot more walking, and carrying, than shooting.

As for fhe OP, I've handled the new Sweet Sixteen A5, and as others have mentioned, its real light; points and swings well. I'd like to have one.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kitfoxdave
I have a Fair 16 ga model 600, put adjustable butt plate on it and it breaks Clay's really well now that it fits me. My son just bought a FAIR Iside prestige deluxe 16 ga s x s and he loves it. Nice and light. Small fore end so you would want a glove due to barrel getting warm. I have 2 other FAIR over unders in 28 and 20 gauge, light and fast to point. SLX692 models. Really nice to shoot.

Be intersted to know the weight of the FAIR 600 16ga and whether it's on its own frame or a 12ga frame.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Was very heavy.

And I now have one of the new A5 s. Have not had a chance to shoot it much, but is very light, and functions flawlessly.

I was going to ask about that. I fondled one of the Browning A5 16 gauge shotguns in Sportsmans Warehouse today. It was a really nice gun, I was very impressed. It was light and pointed well, felt smooth and quick. I think I need to get one of those.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
5.75 pounds, like carrying a wand. Makes long walks easy.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Is this A5 on its own frame and not a aluminum 12 ga frame.

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Billewe
Is this A5 on its own frame and not a aluminum 12 ga frame.

Check this out.

https://www.browning.com/content/br...current-production/a5-sweet-sixteen.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From Browning's web site:

the Browning A5 16 gauge is built on a smaller, lighter receiver for reduced weight and a sleek feel in your hands

Receiver Material Aluminum Alloy

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Where did you find that affinity 16 ga? Have not found one anywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you are referring to the pic posted by bartman, I'm think that that gun is more like a Franchi Al48 - not an Affintity, maybe not.

FWIW, LGS just got a Franchi SLX in 16ga. Nice gun, though I'm not a fan of the 'scalloped' receiver. Light. $1450 price tag. Also, and from my research, I believe the 16ga Franchi SLX is made by F.A.I.R. and is not in fact a 'home grown Franchi'.

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WiFowler

If you are referring to the pic posted by bartman, I'm think that that gun is more like a Franchi Al48 - not an Affintity, maybe not.

FWIW, LGS just got a Franchi SLX in 16ga. Nice gun, though I'm not a fan of the 'scalloped' receiver. Light. $1450 price tag. Also, and from my research, I believe the 16ga Franchi SLX is made by F.A.I.R. and is not in fact a 'home grown Franchi'.

That`s Brownings new A5 Sweet 16.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Any updates when the Browning Citori 16’s will be shipped?

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I found a parker-hale (ugartechea) 16 ejectors, double triggers, been my go to for several years, also a 12 gauge 25 " barrels Churchill rib, v ery pleased with. Lion county supply sold them .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a new Stevens 555 in 16 gauge last year for upland hunting, grouse and woodcock. I like it, a lot.

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I saw this on the 16 gauge Forum web site.

https://uplandguncompany.com/product/rfm-sk-field/?mc_cid=52e43706ea&mc_eid=f626264adb

"Here are some good pics
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...gauge-28-quot-bbls-.cfm?gun_id=101663823

Kinda pricey for this action but I guess with custom build to your specs not so bad.
Anybody shot these yet?"

Looks decent for new production, but there are better deals to be had on Foxes and Smiths with condition.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Any updates when the Browning Citori 16’s will be shipped?

Latter half of 3rd quarter - in other words, late Aug, early Sep.

Browning said 20s, 28s, and 410s would ship 2nd quarter. LGS put one of each of the aforementioned Grade I's on the rack today. Couple of Grade II's too.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks. My LGS has no idea when they will get them in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.