-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't remember why, but I felt the urge to buy two M48 Mausers.....

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mbhunt
We were at our next door neighbor's house for a party. One of my friends and I were outside near midnight and we got the idea to throw the main electrical switch. (No alcohol involved in the decision of course). When midnight hit I cut the power and they about sucked the walls in with their collective gasp. We laughed our a$$ off but the guy who lived there wasn't nearly as amused.

This for the win!^^^^^. Epic!

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I was in boot camp, Great Lakes, IL. 12/31/99

I gave 2 shi ts about y2k.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a Computer Science grad student in 1980 and we were discussing it then. It was hard to get anyone to take a problem seriously that wasn't going to happen for 20 years. About 1997 businesses started to take it seriously, and I worked on it for most of 1998 and 1999.

Was the problem real? Yes.
Was the problem potentially serious? Yes.
Was the problem exaggerated by the media and the public? Yes.
Was the problem avoided by a LOT of hard work by thousands of people and the expenditure of millions of dollars? Yes.

Last edited by natman; 12/31/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Corporate Investigator for Target in the 90's.

You bet your ass the threat was real, especially infrastructure.

100s of billions spent to millions modernize systems did stave off many problems as well as continued to position the US as the leader in all tech fields.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tried to explain Y2K to my teenagers a couple months ago. Waste of my time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tinfoil alert

You've Got 25 Years Until UNIX Time Overflows - Slashdot

Actually only 18 years now - archived article.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
A lot of people on here and elsewhere are playing armchair quarter back. The "See I knew nothing would happen" is strong here. The truth is no one knew for sure what would happen and if and when it did go South everyone would be an instant critic and say "Why were you not prepared for that".

You can't win either way.

As a foreman for an Electrical Substation equipped with Microprocessor relays I was in charge during Y2K. We had run simulations by moving the date ahead on some test relays and allowed them to roll over to Jan 1, 2000 and nothing happened.

That being said the manufacturers of the microchips for the protective relays had made no provision for the date rollover and didn't know themselves with 100% confidence exactly what would happen so they were really of no help. Every breaker in the Substation could have tripped and stayed off line. That was a distinct possibility.

The real problem was the imbeded instructions that were hardwired into the microchip so it was way more that just a possible software glitch. Manufacturers like G.E. and Siemens had never taken into account that at the end of the decade all 4 year digits would (or not) change.

People who scoff at the preparations before Y2K have no idea what they're talking about. They were not there on the technical end and have no appreciation of what could have happened. The fact nothing happened was due more to happy coincidence than precise planning. We got lucky and people in the technical end know that.

I look at the cost of Y2K preparations as necessary insurance. We didn't need it "Thank God" but were extremely glad it was there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PSE
A lot of people on here and elsewhere are playing armchair quarter back. The "See I knew nothing would happen" is strong here.

And it's a lot of fun too. smile

Embedded systems engineers always did consider fault tolerance. Like your computerized car going into limp mode if a sensor fails. Time that doesn't pass a sanity test is just another fault to tolerate.

And today even embedded systems can boot all new firmware over the Internet. As what happens to Ring if you leave the default password.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I imagine every ATM in the country and likely most everywhere in the modern world was stuffed with as much cash as it would hold over the last week leading up to Y2K out of fear there could be a deluge of cash withdrawals and mass panic would set in if they they ran out. I know they were here.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I understand it took a lot of work to prevent a meltdown.

Not doubting, could you please elaborate ....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PSE
People who scoff at the preparations before Y2K have no idea what they're talking about. They were not there on the technical end and have no appreciation of what could have happened. The fact nothing happened was due more to happy coincidence than precise planning. We got lucky and people in the technical end know that.

You're right. Better to have been prepared in a few small ways than find out the hard way. We made some provisions for food, water and heat for at least the short term. Didn't cost me dime in the long run.

We are expecting freezing rain tonight and into tomorrow. I bought 40gal of gas today for the generator in case the power goes out as it has in the past, sometimes for days on end. Have a woodstove and enough food to keep us fat for a week or so. Why not?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't know more than that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
20 years ago I didn’t even carry a cell phone. That all changed February 20, 2000 when I got hit by 18 yd end dump on way to work. Was oinda like that fog wreck video other day. About 2 hours later I flagged down a concrete truck from plant Where wifey was HRO and he radioed dispatch to call her and for her to come get me!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i worked from 9-9 that night for a major healthcare company. they hired me specifically in march 99 to get them ready to y2k. i worked my ass off all year upgrading their schit box computers and dry running clock roll aheads and back until i was blue in the face. big boss man was literally schitting bricks. was on a con call with CFO when the ball dropped. cheap schit company bought us pizza and gave me an extra 75 bucks before taxes.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PSE
I look at the cost of Y2K preparations as necessary insurance. We didn't need it "Thank God" but were extremely glad it was there.

Interesting way to sum up the events.

I don't give a damn to engage anyone on the memory's they hold surrounding the non-event. We all have them.

100's of billions were spent on fixes that the need for was questionable, those making the decisions to recommend the fixes along with those making the decisions to spend the money required in implicate the fixes will go to the grave saying their decisions saved everything. Why wouldn't they?

Most all have resources that they are incline to believe on hi tech topics for whatever the reason, I got mine.

I let mine convince me Y2K would be a non-event. We were together for New Years 2000 as the world experienced Y2K becoming a non-event. After mid-night as the news was reporting Y2K to be a non-event, we toasted to the reports and had a couple more drinks.

We'd gone to high school together in the 70's, he graduated and went into computer science, I just went on...

After college he put together a team of geeks (late 70's early 80's) and developed a program that made it possible for law enforcement to have the first mobile networking computers in cars, as the senior architect he traveled the country setting up their program in about every major city up until the time Motorola bought them out.

He took his teams and moved into the banking world, a few years passed and they were setting up banks with the system they created that made for a common platform all banks could network on that pretty much revolutionized banking computer systems. His teams were all over the globe setting up banks with their software and It was their platform many banks rolled into Y2K with.

As Y2K approached their banking customer base insisted they come and save them, he refused and informed them the fixes being recommended were pretty much money grubbing scams. Fear boosted by media hype took hold and most bought into high dollar fixes.

I guess it's different when you know because you actually know something, I just had to roll with what he told me.

He took his teams and walked away from the banking community on Y2K, by April of 2000 they were creating anti-virus and advertisement software, their anti-virus software took hold and became their main focus. After they had a couple of marketed anti-virus programs behind them they became the main architects that developed Malwarebytes into what it is today...

He's a proven entity, I gotta run with his opinion, it was a scam.
Y2K started as a fear factor that was proven unjust before it came to be.
So many were spending so much cash on fixes and so many were cashing in on installing fixes that it just became a tsunami of cash people couldn't back of out once they made their decisions to buy in.

Lot's of different numbers online about how much was spent on Y2K fixes but they range from 400 to 600 billion dollars. Plenty enough to attract corruption and then some, nothing like playing on peoples fears...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wife was a supervisor at a hospital.
All employees were reguired to be there.
I went along, tho hated to be away from home and all our stuff!
Long boring night!!

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by PSE

Interesting way to sum up the events.

I don't give a damn to engage anyone on the memory's they hold surrounding the non-event. We all have them.

100's of billions were spent on fixes that the need for was questionable, those making the decisions to recommend the fixes along with those making the decisions to spend the money required in implicate the fixes will go to the grave saying their decisions saved everything. Why wouldn't they?

Most all have resources that they are incline to believe on hi tech topics for whatever the reason, I got mine.

I let mine convince me Y2K would be a non-event. We were together for New Years 2000 as the world experienced Y2K becoming a non-event. After mid-night as the news was reporting Y2K to be a non-event, we toasted to the reports and had a couple more drinks.

We'd gone to high school together in the 70's, he graduated and went into computer science, I just went on...

After college he put together a team of geeks (late 70's early 80's) and developed a program that made it possible for law enforcement to have the first mobile networking computers in cars, as the senior architect he traveled the country setting up their program in about every major city up until the time Motorola bought them out.

He took his teams and moved into the banking world, a few years passed and they were setting up banks with the system they created that made for a common platform all banks could network on that pretty much revolutionized banking computer systems. His teams were all over the globe setting up banks with their software and It was their platform many banks rolled into Y2K with.

As Y2K approached their banking customer base insisted they come and save them, he refused and informed them the fixes being recommended were pretty much money grubbing scams. Fear boosted by media hype took hold and most bought into high dollar fixes.

I guess it's different when you know because you actually know something, I just had to roll with what he told me.

He took his teams and walked away from the banking community on Y2K, by April of 2000 they were creating anti-virus and advertisement software, their anti-virus software took hold and became their main focus. After they had a couple of marketed anti-virus programs behind them they became the main architects that developed Malwarebytes into what it is today...

He's a proven entity, I gotta run with his opinion, it was a scam.
Y2K started as a fear factor that was proven unjust before it came to be.
So many were spending so much cash on fixes and so many were cashing in on installing fixes that it just became a tsunami of cash people couldn't back of out once they made their decisions to buy in.

Lot's of different numbers online about how much was spent on Y2K fixes but they range from 400 to 600 billion dollars. Plenty enough to attract corruption and then some, nothing like playing on peoples fears...

Again - Had it gone the other way your friend would have been a bum and not a hero!! Hindsight is always 20/20. No pun intended.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I worked a 12 hour shift that night. Other than the usual adjustment needed for liquored up creek gypsies, nothing big happened.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There was no hindsight involved...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.