Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Currently I’m running a Luxe Lightweight TeePee with 1.5 person inner
Dry weight for the system is roughly 2.2 pounds. Since near freezing condensation builds up inside and can drip.

Planning a later season hunt next year with possible snow.

Looking for the lightest, toughest 4 season 2 person tent. Can be a one person, but I like room for my gear etc. to stay dry.

Thanks

Last edited by addicted; 12/31/19.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Kuiu Storm Star 2P, 4-season, 2 person, two doors, two vestibules, 5 1/2# , free-standing dome

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2, 3 season, 2-person, two doors, two vestibules, 4#, free-standing dome.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Black Diamond Eldorado 2 person single wall tent weighs 4lbs 11 oz with carbon fiber poles. Thank me later.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks fellas

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KC

Kuiu Storm Star 2P, 4-season, 2 person, two doors, two vestibules, 5 1/2# , free-standing dome

Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2, 3 season, 2-person, two doors, two vestibules, 4#, free-standing dome.

I don't consider the CSUL2 a 4-season tent... I have one. Also, it weighs under 3.5 lbs.

The Kuiu Mountain Star is a nice tent, but I can't fathom hauling a 5.5lb tent for one in this day and age.

Originally Posted by kaboku68
Black Diamond Eldorado 2 person single wall tent weighs 4lbs 11 oz with carbon fiber poles. Thank me later.

I've had the Black Diamond Firstlight, the sister version of the Eldorado. Good tent(s), but not real light for a 1P and I dislike not having a vestibule, and the front entry. It's unnecessarily heavy, small, and expensive for what you propose. It's a mountaineering tent made for single use, high altitude climbing.

Originally Posted by addicted
Planning a later season hunt next year with possible snow. Looking for the lightest, toughest 4 season 2 person tent. Can be a one person

I'd recommend the Big Sky International Revolution, either the 1P or 2P with solid interior... 1P under 3lbs., and a damn good tent.

1P:

https://bigskyinternational.com/col...-revolution-1p-tent?variant=165398741320

2P:

https://bigskyinternational.com/collections/tents-and-shelters/products/big-sky-revolution-2p-tent

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
This may be nitpicky but the big sky international website leaves much to be desired. What models do they purport to be 4 season tents vs 3 season?

Can you fit anything besides boots in the vestibules?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'd also put the Stone Glacier Skyscraper on my list to investigate; a true four season tent is never going to approach the uber light weights of some of the three season shelters- it takes some extra weight to insure a shelter can handle higher winds and snow loads

I'd probably also recommend seriously at evaluating your shelter needs, often times a bomber four season tent is overkill

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by addicted
Currently I’m running a Luxe Lightweight TeePee with 1.5 person inner
Dry weight for the system is roughly 2.2 pounds. Since near freezing condensation builds up inside and can drip.

Planning a later season hunt next year with possible snow.

Looking for the lightest, toughest 4 season 2 person tent. Can be a one person, but I like room for my gear etc. to stay dry.

Thanks

Any stove option in the Luxe you have now?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The little Luxe wild wild west stove is a dandy......

https://luxe-hiking-gear.com/collec...ies/products/folding-wood-stove-titanium

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by KC

[quote=kaboku68]Black Diamond Eldorado 2 person single wall tent weighs 4lbs 11 oz with carbon fiber poles. Thank me later.

I've had the Black Diamond Firstlight, the sister version of the Eldorado. Good tent(s), but not real light for a 1P and I dislike not having a vestibule, and the front entry. It's unnecessarily heavy, small, and expensive for what you propose. It's a mountaineering tent made for single use, high altitude climbing.

Brad- I hunt sheep and goats. The Eldorado with its ToddTex walls is not like the first light. It can take a lot of weather and if vented right also is good for condensation. I have many lighter tents and I have used them including a BA Copper Spur 3 UL and a BA Flycreek UL2 and I keep going to the Eldorado. It is not the biggest tent but it is a 4 season tent that won't crap out in bad weather.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Brad- I hunt sheep and goats. The Eldorado with its ToddTex walls is not like the first light. It can take a lot of weather and if vented right also is good for condensation

I understand, which is why I said the Firstllight is its "sister."

The Eldorado is the old Bibler I-tent. I just consider it a very specific type of tent, and I think there are better, lighter, all-around 4 season tents. The Eldorado is more of a fall/winter tent, made for what you're using it for. It's a great tent, just not as versatile as others, and it is not especially light.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me, a generalist 4 season tent should be double wall, have a vestibule, a solid interior, and if for 1P, should be under 4lbs.

Besides the Big Sky Int'l Revolution, another that meets my idea is the MSR Access 1:

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/all-s...our-season-solo-tent/09544.html?srd=true

And its 2P version (which is right at 4lbs):

https://www.msrgear.com/tents/all-s...son-ski-touring-tent/09545.html?srd=true

There's really no "wrong" answer, it just comes down to what the OP's criteria are, and what it's going to be used for.

For most fall hunting in the Rockies, a mountaineering tent isn't needed...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
This may be nitpicky but the big sky international website leaves much to be desired. What models do they purport to be 4 season tents vs 3 season?

Can you fit anything besides boots in the vestibules?

I agree their old website sucked, but the new one is quite good.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Brad:

I agree with you, the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 is a 3-season tent. That's why I indicated that it is a 3-season tent. I just wanted to give the OP a couple of options.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
cdg Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I’ll second Big Sky Tents. I’ve used the Revolution and Mirage and both performed admirably but would look at their 4 season Chinook 1plus or 2p tent. It’s based off the Revolution but has an additional third pole that can be left behind in three season weather to save weight.
https://bigskyinternational.com/products/big-sky-chinook-2p-tent

Last edited by cdg; 01/02/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KC

Brad:

I agree with you, the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL-2 is a 3-season tent. That's why I indicated that it is a 3-season tent. I just wanted to give the OP a couple of options.

KC

Makes perfect sense KC. Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cdg
I’ll second Big Sky Tents. I’ve used the Revolution and Mirage and both performed admirably but would look at their 4 season Chinook 1plus or 2p tent. It’s based off the Revolution but has an additional third pole that can be left behind in three season weather to save weight.

I'd forgotten about the Chinook! Good call.

I really like/prefer a tent (like the Kifaru or Big Sky) that have an external pole structure that allows the tent body and fly to be erected as one. Snow, and especially rain, aren't able to get into the living space during setup. Great designs.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Huntsman,
Thanks for posting that link again. That is a great option for my solo elk hunt in NM next Dec.. Do you recommend a tipi style tent for that?
Sorry people didn't mean to hijack.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by cdg

I'd forgotten about the Chinook! Good call.

I really like/prefer a tent (like the Kifaru or Big Sky) that have an external pole structure that allows the tent body and fly to be erected as one. Snow, and especially rain, aren't able to get into the living space during setup. Great designs.

Maybe I’ve been missing it Brad, but what Kifaru tent are you referring to that offers an external pole system?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
bigwhooper, yeah, I'm well past having to crawl into an unheated tent..... give me stand up room and a woodstove.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
742 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.