Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
OP Offline
O
Hey all. I'm looking to get into a new rifle for the next deer season. Looking for consistency from 50-250 yards(that's my hunting spot), flat and powerful but not not overly destructive. I've been going back and forth, comparing two different levels.

Category 1 - 270 or 308: Seem fairly similar, the 270 seems to edge out on most numbers, but seems I'd be just as happy with one as the other. Please share personal experience between the two of there's big defining pieces I'm missing. Would've probably had 7mm-08 in place of 308, but ammo is simply not as available around me.

Category 2 - 7mm mag or 300 mag: These are obviously a step up. My brother uses a 7mm mag, and though it seems way unnecessary, it gets the job done every time and doesn't seem to destroy the deer. I can read numbers all day, but from personal experience is there a vast difference between these two in actual performance? Or are they both in the "stupid obnoxious" realm for whitetail, and it doesn't really matter?

I'm trying to pin down the best (relative) choice in each category and then make up my mind from there. Trying not to over think it. All of these will absolutely kill a deer with good shot placement. I'm just trying to see why or if I should really lean one way or another, or just pick one and have fun.

Thanks!

Last edited by OriginalUsername; 01/01/20. Reason: English hard, trying do gooder.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
OriginalUS, welcome to forum..just joined myself but have been reading on here for a while. Can't speak of the Category 2, except to say they are 2 very good rounds if you can stand the kick and not develop a "I know what is coming when I pull this trigger." Have shot the 7mm and could not take it. The 270 is one that my brother has and have shot few times, and to tell you the truth, it has about the same kick as a 7mm. Fine round for deer, will reach out there, do all caliber for elk.deer, and many more. The 308 is about all I use now and was my first caliber almost 40 years ago. Also got a 243 which is about as good and my grandson uses some, very easy on the shoulder and with reloads will get done on any deer that walks. Both of these are in Winchester Model 70 in stainless. Reason I like the 308 is I reload and can work up loads that fit my type of hunting, which is about like you described....50 yds all the way out to 300-400 yds with ease. Shooting like 2- 3 inches high at 100 will drop like 7-8 inches at 300, no hold over no problem at that range. Now, also at that range it has over 1500 ft lbs of energy and traveling over 2000 fps, so look it up, all you will ever need for deer and on up in game. Can shoot at range and never think about it going to kick and not have a sore shoulder afterwards....all which is important to me. Many rifles out there in the 308 to choose from, ammo to be found easy, and another thing, the 308 and 243 is built on a short action vs long action for the heavier calibers...another thing to consider if you will handle both before you buy. Also, the Win.Model 70 is built on the Mauser type action, or controlled round feed (CRF) which controls the round picking it up out of the mag and holds it till round is extracted....no chance of a round failing to cycle into chamber when working bolt fast....repeated shots held at different angles when firing and loading rounds. Sorry for the long read, but thought I would try to give you little insight into what I believe is one of the best rounds ever developed for hunting. Now, after all this has been said, am looking at another project.... the 6.5 Creedmore.....check that round out....nothing to not like.

O.B.Wallace
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
From my personal experience, shot placement and the type of bullet have a lot to do with the "destructive" part. My new favorite rifle is a Sako 85 FL 7-08, and thus far I have taken deer past 300 yards with it. I do have access locally to a variety of ammo for it. With that being said having to order for a few other calibers, I would go with a caliber that I can get ammo off the shelf for and not have to order, unless you are going to reload. Lots of new rifles on the market today are way more accurate than the average shooter, pick one you like a go for it.

Dont eat the big white mint!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cat 1 ...... 308, 150 bullet @ 2800fps. Point blank range would be about 270 yards. point and shoot. Dead deer.

Perfectly honest, IMO, just about any off the shelf caliber with the correct bullet will do the job from 50-250 yards.

Ed
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with the 7mm Rem mag and 300 Win mag on deer. Dead is dead and they get it done quickly. You have to be careful about bullet selection or you'll end up with a blood shot mess but they really shine when you can't afford to have a deer take one step because of property lines or other hunters.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
.308, lots of good and great short action rifles available in just about any price range, more than enough for any whitail deer with 150 or 165gr factory ammo, endless reloading potential, and if you look around a little you can even get a Savage 99 in .308!

Why haul around a magnum, and pay for magnum ammo, for the type of hunting you're describing?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
There is absolutely no reason to consider the magnums given your criteria. If you reload you could always load the 300 or big 7 to 308 velocities but if you are buying ammo off the shelf the 308 will do fine. The 270 will do the job equally well and that is my choice because some of my hunting involves long range shooting and the extra velocity helps flatten trajectory but inside 300 yards there are lots of cartridges that will get the job done.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A .243 or a 7mm-08 with a good bullet is all you need. Anybody shoots a low recoiling rifle better than a magnum.

O
OP Offline
O
Thank you all for the input. I was kind of thinking there'd be no real defining reason to get into magnums with my criteria. The availability is really good on all the rounds I mentioned, but 270 and 308 are the most available and affordable, with a broad variety.

I saw someone mention 7-08, and yes I'd love to go with that, but around me I see on average one lone box of that stuff in most stores, and it's usually much more expensive than the aforementioned.

Seems more and more I'm hearing folks tell me to go lower recoil for better shooting/consistent accuracy, so likely coming between the two in category 1.

Anyone with experience with both 270 and 308? Asking pretty much just about recoil at this point. Vastly different? I'm assuming (yeah I know) that 270 will recoil harder with the extra charge, even though it's smaller caliber. Right or wrong?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by OriginalUsername
Thank you all for the input. I was kind of thinking there'd be no real defining reason to get into magnums with my criteria. The availability is really good on all the rounds I mentioned, but 270 and 308 are the most available and affordable, with a broad variety.

I saw someone mention 7-08, and yes I'd love to go with that, but around me I see on average one lone box of that stuff in most stores, and it's usually much more expensive than the aforementioned.

Seems more and more I'm hearing folks tell me to go lower recoil for better shooting/consistent accuracy, so likely coming between the two in category 1.

Anyone with experience with both 270 and 308? Asking pretty much just about recoil at this point. Vastly different? I'm assuming (yeah I know) that 270 will recoil harder with the extra charge, even though it's smaller caliber. Right or wrong?
The 270 is larger caliber....longer brass, greater velocity, long action and more energy for the distance compared between the 308. Haven't hunted with a 270 but many on here have, may someone will chime in.

O.B.Wallace
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
.223 AI

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What you are asking for is a rifle loaded with a mono bullet.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would use a 7mm mag and a 120 ballistic tip.

Last edited by roninflag; 01/01/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What you are asking for is a rifle loaded with a mono bullet. this probably the least destructive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
270 any day, every day,

Although I do have others.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by roninflag
What you are asking for is a rifle loaded with a mono bullet. this probably the least destructive.

That depends on the bullet and the velocity.

My 26 Nosler, shooting 120 E-Tips and TTSX at 3,450 fps, is very destructive. I can post pictures if interested.

At more conventional velocity, I would agree.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Silly Rabbits... grin

"Least destructive" depends on which bones you hit with any high velocity rifle.

There ain't much you can do if the bullet strikes a big bone.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find explosive destruction to be closely aligned with velocity.

A 45-70 pushing a 405 grain slug at about 1,200 fps and one can eat right to the edge of the bullet hole. A 110 grain 257 Weatherby doing about 3,700 fps and I can blood shock an entire loin with a neck shot.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Trying not to over think it.

308 Win... I've taken everything from coyotes to elk with it (and everything in between, from 20 to 500 yards), including my largest whitetail (a 240 lb 4X4), and my largest bull elk (an old 7X7).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by efw
.223 AI

Or even .223 plain vanilla if they are legal in your state.

If not, something non-magnum in the .25" to 7mm range and keep the bullets under about 2800 fps. Little Brown Truck will deliver ammunition right to your door if you can't find it locally.

Or do what Brad said.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Own and use both. For what you are asking, either would suffice. Recoil about the same in my book, but I think the 270 has more muzzle blast if that matters to you. I do like the 308 in a short action rifle. You may want to spend some time looking at and handling different rifles to see how they feel. Let that be your decision maker rather than which caliber.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
30-06 -- military BLANKS -- No meat destroyed.

Sheesh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Blueboy
The 270 is larger caliber.......

No, no it isnt.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The 270 is larger caliber...longer brass, greater velocity, long action and more energy for the distance compared between the 308. Haven't hunted with a 270 but many on here have, may someone will chime in.

Really ?

.277 is > .308 ? in whose math book ?

Take the rest with the same accuracy.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A bullet that holds together is less destructive on meat then one that comes apart, and a slower bullet does less meat damage then a fast one. That's the basic rule of thumb.

I have killed deer with very fast and very slow guns. All died. Some faster then others but with good bullets and good marksmanship, a "long run" is 50 yards.

Guns I have used that kill deer well but do very little meat damage are :
458 Win mag (no I am not kidding)
45-70 with 440 grain LBT cast bullets at a MV of about 1450 FPS
375H&H with 300 grain solids (again, not kidding)
8X57 Mauser with 200 grain bullets
9.3X57 Mauser with Nosler 250 grain AccuBond.
308 Winchester with 180 grain bullets
30-40 Krag with 220 grain
6.5X54 M/S with 160 grain Hornady and 156 grain PPU bullets
44 magnum with any cast bullet.
45 colt with 250 grain Hollow points, but shot at only about 1200 FPS
357 Magnum with LBT 187 grain WFN
35 Remington with 220 grain Speer bullets
and quite a few others too, but I am sure the point is made.

Last edited by szihn; 01/01/20.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
you should also consider the 25-06. Some say the 25-06 is the Texas state flower for a reason....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 270 and 308 both are more than adequate for deer size game. Long action or short action is your decision. Heavier bullets normally do less damage to deer size game. 270 150 grain or 308 180 grain. As others have said buy the rifle that feels best to you. I would certainly not recommend the magnums for your criteria.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by jwall

Sheesh

Great idea! I worry about possibly too little damage...I guess I'm just impossible to please.

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by saskfox
As others have said buy the rifle that feels best to you. I would certainly not recommend the magnums for your criteria.

This is something I don't think I'm giving enough attention to. I'm leaning more .308, but at this point based on general discussion, I'll probably go for the best ergonomic fit and deal in either round.

Thanks all for your input and advice. I don't want to flood with replies, but I will take all advice into my decision: rifle size, bullet weight, speed, shot placement, etc. At this point if I were given an equal choice between either rifle, I'd probably lean towards 308. Seems to be one of those "can't go wrong" options, and that's really what I'm going for.

Y'all are great! 👍

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Sheesh

Great idea! I worry about possibly too little damage...I guess I'm just impossible to please.

I really was being sarcastic.....not towards you.

I now see you are a new member here --- WELCOME !

I honestly don't have the time to go into details now. I promise you it is MORE important WHERE you hit them THAN
what you hit them WITH.

I have pix showing deer carcasses hit in the HI Shoulder, emphasis HI, and there is SO little meat loss as to be negligible.
However PHOTOPUKEIT (photo bucket) has them locked up and I AIN'T paying them. I would post them for you IF I could.

I've posted those in yrs past and even after SEEING the pix, some guys say, "too much meat loss" . < Bull Crap! >

I've NEVER shot a deer with a Premium bullet ( Nos Partition, Barnes, etc.). All have been cup n core and MOSTLY
Hornady Ils.

ALSO, unless you eat deer ribs, a shot thru the ribs will NOT waste any edible meat. I find TOO LITTLE meat in the
ribs to mess with.

Good Luck in your search.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/01/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The 270 is larger caliber....longer brass, greater velocity, long action and more energy for the distance compared between the 308. Haven't hunted with a 270 but many on here have, may someone will chime in.

I dont know what school you went to but the .270 is definitely not a larger caliber than a .308.

O
OP Offline
O

Sheesh

I really was being sarcastic.....not towards you.

No worries man, I was also in my reply. I function on dry sarcasm, makes the world go round, haha.

I have pretty much decided to mainly take shots mid level just behind the crease of the shoulder, going for main vitals obviously. Some times, though, things happen and bullets stray a bit.

My original post probably comes from the quartering away shot, and the possibility of passing a bullet through the other shoulder. Absolutely going to be damage and meat loss, just was trying to keep it to a minimum on that situation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
I find explosive destruction to be closely aligned with velocity.

A 45-70 pushing a 405 grain slug at about 1,200 fps and one can eat right to the edge of the bullet hole. A 110 grain 257 Weatherby doing about 3,700 fps and I can blood shock an entire loin with a neck shot.

Sounds good. Pass the .257 and hold the 45-70.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You would have to be really recoil sensitive to tell the difference in 308 and 270 recoil and it is more affected by bullet choice and stock fit than caliber. If you shoot 180's with the 308 it will probably kick more than the 270 with 130's. OTOH if you shoot 130's in the 308 and 150's in the 270, the 270 will kick a bit more although the difference is negligible. Shooting 150's in both, the 270 will kick a bit more because it is pushing the same weight bullet at a higher MV. Again, unless you have a really low recoil tolerance, I can't see it making much difference.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Again, unless you have a really low recoil tolerance, I can't see it making much difference.

I'm used to a rifled Mossberg 500 with 1 oz slugs, rated at 1650fps. It's quite a punch (more of a push) to the shoulder. I'm assuming either of these rifles would be milder by comparison. Probably a quicker jab of a kick, as opposed to the slow cannon feel of slug guns, but milder nonetheless.

Edit: I hadn't even really considered recoil until other members started bringing up that I should consider it, reasoning that lower recoil should equate to more consistent shooting. Also, the much lighter triggers of actual rifles vs that shotgun...oh I can't wait. Feels like you're pulling that thing for a mile, with bumps in the road, before it actually fires.

Last edited by OriginalUsername; 01/01/20.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All the advice is good, but you should consider your application. I see you are from Michigan but that doesn't tell me whether that's where you hunt, or the average range of your shots. If you are looking for anytime, anywhere, all species in North America, do it all, I would say a .30-06 is your huckleberry. YMMV

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'd say get a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 and drive on.

Solid rifle, solid cartridge.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
6.5 x 54 with the heavy bullets that made it's reputation. Eat right up to the bullet hole.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
.270 it will do what you want ammo is cheap and plenty to choose from.. Enjoy!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you don’t reload, I’d guess the easiest ammo to find on the shelf at Bubba’s Gas Station and Feed Store will be 270, 308, and 30-06. I went with a 270 about 50 years ago and killed a few hundred deer over the years. Of what the OP mentioned, I’d pick the 270. But any of them will do, with the right bullet and decent placement.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd move the 270 Win. into category 2 because of external ballistics.
So, 308 -- versus the 270, 7mm Rem. Mag. or 300 Win. Mag.

Within around 600 yards it comes down to bullet selection. Beyond that, 308 takes a back seat to the others.

Last edited by night_owl; 01/01/20.

abusus non tollit usum
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by 603Country
If you don’t reload, I’d guess the easiest ammo to find on the shelf at Bubba’s Gas Station and Feed Store will be 270, 308, and 30-06.

This is one of my top priorities with this rifle, easy access to ammunition. Don't have to seek out specialty gun or sporting goods stores. If in need and life has me running behind, I can just swing into any department store that sells sporting goods, or even Bubba's 😉

I do love the idea of reloading, getting things dialed in specifically to what I want. Just figured there would be some decent overhead involved in getting started.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Hey all. I'm looking to get into a new rifle for the next deer season. Looking for consistency from 50-250 yards(that's my hunting spot), flat and powerful but not not overly destructive. I've been going back and forth, comparing two different levels.

Category 1 - 270 or 308: Seem fairly similar, the 270 seems to edge out on most numbers, but seems I'd be just as happy with one as the other. Please share personal experience between the two of there's big defining pieces I'm missing. Would've probably had 7mm-08 in place of 308, but ammo is simply not as available around me.

Category 2 - 7mm mag or 300 mag: These are obviously a step up. My brother uses a 7mm mag, and though it seems way unnecessary, it gets the job done every time and doesn't seem to destroy the deer. I can read numbers all day, but from personal experience is there a vast difference between these two in actual performance? Or are they both in the "stupid obnoxious" realm for whitetail, and it doesn't really matter?

I'm trying to pin down the best (relative) choice in each category and then make up my mind from there. Trying not to over think it. All of these will absolutely kill a deer with good shot placement. I'm just trying to see why or if I should really lean one way or another, or just pick one and have fun.

Thanks!

Welcome to our confused and uncoordinated site of ballistic contribution.
Rule 1. (For advise only) Cartridges do not destroy meat, inadequately constructed bullets of any caliber pushed beyond their design intentions can.

Seriously, In the lower 48, there really isn't much variation in game to differentiate a cartridges value, it is really more the circumstances and terrain that creates a value for one cartridge over another. Your specified 50-250 yards is only slightly outside the normal capability of a basic .30/30 so the suggestions you have already considered meet your intended needs.

I would recommend your choice be based on whether you want to use factory ammo or dig a little deeper into hand-loading where the potential of the cartridge can be both explored and also tailored to specific animals and terrain you are likely to hunt. from your suggestions I would likely go .308 or 7mm Remington as the recoil is within a similar range with the Mag offering a little more versatility when you inevitably step up to elk sized game.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
likely go .308 or 7mm Remington as the recoil is within a similar range with the Mag offering a little more versatility when you inevitably step up to elk sized game.

I'm likely going to pull the trigger (ugh, sorry) on the .308, from the resounding suggestions I'm getting in that direction. Everyone keeps giving the same reasons, which is great: low recoil, very available, good for reloading, good off the shelf, it's just good. Very helpful thread.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A .308 Ruger Ultralite ( way back in early 80s) kicked the snot out of me, only killed one deer with it and 150 Remington Factory load. As Aussie , I too think a 30-30 ( say a really good 3x9 scoped Marlin? is your huckleberry. I had friends use them out to 300yds on a pipeline in East, Texas! I used one for 10 yrs with irons ( but never had an opportunity past 90yds there) Most of mine were under 60yds. A 150 tight behind the shoulder and you are golden. A heavier bolt action 308 ( SPS Varmint) would be easier on recoil, especially with 150s. A .270 with 110 TTSX is very mild to shoot. I used the 7mm Mag with factory 175gr Corlokts and it was not that bad on 90# deer. But a 7mm Mag still kicks. A 300 is "going to kick" with factory loads. A .243 is another great round if you scope it right and shoot it right. Least recoiling of any listed too! Let use know what you decided on Pard, and don't apologize for your pick! smile A free American can choose what they want!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've come to the conclusion that with proper bullets everything 26 caliber on up will kill anything in North America. And most everything on the planet. It comes down to how far you want to shoot (or have the skills to shoot), how much recoil you want to deal with, as well as cost and availability.

With all of that in mind 308 or 7-08 are hard to beat. Either of them will kill elk at 400+ yards and that is as far as I have the skills to shoot at game. Recoil is tolerable and both have reputations for accuracy. On paper at least the 7-08 looks a little better, but the margin is razor thin and factory loads are much more common for 308 where I live too. 7-08 is near impossible to find.

Nothing wrong with the 270/30-06 class of cartridges and if a little extra recoil and a heavier rifle isn't a problem they stretch the useful range 50-100 yards farther than 308/7-08.

I've owned several 30 caliber and 7mm magnum rifles over the years. For someone with the skills to shoot well beyond 500 yards they are good tools for the job. But at the 400 yard limit I've put on myself I don't see where either the magnums, nor even the 30-06 class of cartridges offer me any advantage.

Last edited by JMR40; 01/01/20.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've come to the conclusion that with proper bullets everything 26 caliber on up will kill anything in North America. And most everything on the planet. It comes down to how far you want to shoot (or have the skills to shoot), how much recoil you want to deal with, as well as cost and availability.

With all of that in mind 308 or 7-08 are hard to beat. Either of them will kill elk at 400+ yards and that is as far as I have the skills to shoot at game. Recoil is tolerable and both have reputations for accuracy. On paper at least the 7-08 looks a little better, but the margin is razor thin and factory loads are much more common for 308 where I live too. 7-08 is near impossible to find.

Nothing wrong with the 270/30-06 class of cartridges and if a little extra recoil and a heavier rifle isn't a problem they stretch the useful range 50-100 yards farther than 308/7-08.

I've owned several 30 caliber and 7mm magnum rifles over the years. For someone with the skills to shoot well beyond 500 yards they are good tools for the job. But at the 400 yard limit I've put on myself I don't see where either the magnums, nor even the 30-06 class of cartridges offer me any advantage.

This is all very encouraging to hear from another person. You've pretty much put in writing what I'm reasoning with myself on, minus the 400 yard shooting. I'm not used to shooting at game that far, but I do want the ability to do it, so again that's encouraging. Same thing I've been thinking on as well with the 270/30-06 class. A very large group of hunters around this area use an 06, and live by the belief that it is THE deer rifle, haha. Good to hear some reassurance. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

. . .

Thanks!

I will speak only about whitetails; I have no experience with other species.

1) If all your going for is whitetail, then stick with the first category. There is very little the second will buy you.

2) Remember that most whitetail deer are taken inside 80 yards. Now that's just an average, but normally the habits and habitat of whitetails preclude a lot of long shots.

3) I generally use 300 Savage as a good starting place for whitetail. It's normal operating range matches that of whitetail hunting. Right now, I'm heavy on 30-06 rifles. I used to shoot with 35 Whelen, but after a decade I retired the Whelenizer. 35 Whelen creates a lot of sound and fury, but it did not make the deer any deader. Were I to get another rifle, I'd be looking for less recoil and probably go with 7mm-08

4) Don't expect that the 2nd class of rifles you mentioned is going to get you better results inside that 50-250 yard range. Bang/Flop and DRT are more related to bullet placement than terminal ballistics in the case of whitetails.

I used to be tasked with the "What Makes a Good Deer Rifle?" kind of article. I hadn't updated my thoughts in a few years, so I took it on myself to do so this past October:

What Makes a Good Deer Rifle

There's a trail of breadcrumbs at the bottom that will lead you to how my thoughts have changed over the years

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1. I sell more 270 win ammo than other calibers in my small shop. Buyerx are mostly subsistence hunters that hunt every chance they can get to feed their families.
2. 7mm remington mag has better long ramge ballistics. Use Schirocco(sp) or other high performance bullets.
Good luck with your choice, zMel

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like the 7mm-08 a lot especially at the ranges you are talking. With the different websites out there, factory ammo is always available.

I also agree with most that a poorly constructed bullet or pushing a bullet faster than intended leads to destruction, hitting a heavier bone doesn't help either at times. For the ranges you are talking, a bullet going 2200-2800 fps is more than adequate and your choice in the 308 is a good one. Personally I have had a couple of 308's and liked the 165 and 180's as where I hunt, 90% of the shots are under 150 yards

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first choices would be 6.5 Creedmoor and .25-06. Ammo available everywhere, minimal recoil and more than enough range and power.

Next two choices would be .243 Win and 7-08. The .243 will have ammo everywhere and you should easily be able to find enough 7-08 to get the job done.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you don't reload get a .308 or a 30-06. More load choices over the counter. I can vouch a 30-06 with a 180gr Corelokt won't tear up much meat. 165gr Corelokts in a .308 won't either.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I hate to say it, but for deer, think about a 6.5 creedmoor. high quality affordable ammo that’s readily available seems like everywhere. Plenty of good rifle options on the market chambered 6.5. I personally favor the 260 and reload so don’t need to change. 308 is not a poor choice at all either though

I normally deer hunt with one of my 243 anymore, killed my buck at 250 yards this year using 95g nbt. Don’t see a need for much more personally

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
My first choices would be 6.5 Creedmoor

Originally Posted by kevinJ
I hate to say it, but for deer, think about a 6.5 creedmoor.

I have considered this, and I guess I can't really come up with a good reason not to. The only two that come to mind is ammo accessibility and wanting to use this rifle for larger game (elk) in the future. But, I don't see why a 6.5 wouldn't down an elk. It's all about shot placement, right? Would there be issues with energy retention when hunting bigger game with more mass to contend with?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
My first choices would be 6.5 Creedmoor

Originally Posted by kevinJ
I hate to say it, but for deer, think about a 6.5 creedmoor.

I have considered this, and I guess I can't really come up with a good reason not to. The only two that come to mind is ammo accessibility and wanting to use this rifle for larger game (elk) in the future. But, I don't see why a 6.5 wouldn't down an elk. It's all about shot placement, right? Would there be issues with energy retention when hunting bigger game with more mass to contend with?

Energy doesn’t kill. Bullet construction and impact velocity are the things that get it done.

A 140-class 6.5mm bullet will easily penetrate as far or farther than a 180gr 30-cal bullet with similar impact velocity, even though the “energy” numbers for the larger bullet will be higher. The sectional density of the long 6.5 bullets allows them to penetrate very deeply.

Elk are no problem at all. If you can kill one with a 180gr bullet fired from a .30-06, the same hit from a similar 143gr bullet fired from a 6.5 Creedmoor will do at least as much damage, and probably more.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/02/20.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't over think things.

Choose a rifle you like that fits you well and get any cartridge from a 243 to a 308.

It will do what you want at the distances you stated, and if you aren't happy with it you can sell it and buy something else.

You're not going to marry it.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bullets that don't come apart passing through the animal damage less meat.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Being concerned about over the counter ammo is a no brainer. The counter today is your keyboard. Figger out which cartridge appeals to you most and buy a rifle so chambered. Order some ammo online, several boxes if it helps on shipping, and go shoot. Personally I have over the years gone from 30-30 to 30-06 to .270 Weatherby Mag and now am enamored with the 7mm-08. Wife uses same cartridge. Son started with a .260 and I've shot a few with it and also a 6.5x55. Son has also done a lot of damage with his favorite, a red pad Ruger 77 in 7x57 and another in .270.

As free advise I'd recommend the 7mm-08 even though local ammo purchase is limited. Order a few boxes of Hornady 139 gr Interlock ammo and go kill deer. You can spend more money on other brands but it won't kill any deader, deer wise, than that humble Interlock. Another favorite is the 140 Accubond. If you start to handload the 120 Barnes is wicked. For the parameters you quote the 7-08 is hard to beat.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I don't see a reason to overthink it either. Any of the four cartridges you mentioned will take deer or elk with proper bullet construction and shot placement out to 300 yards or so. There really isn't a definitive answer to limit meat damage, as limiting meat loss is accomplished through careful shot placement and heavy for caliber bullets. Since ammo availability over the counter is important to you, I think the .308 is probably your best bet.

“To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift.” -Steve Prefontaine

Matthew 25:31-46
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Category 2 - 7mm mag or 300 mag: These are obviously a step up.

Thanks!

My shoulder does not regard these two to be in the same catagory of recoil!

7 RM does not hurt with a good pad you can shoot a box from the bench and not be very sore the next day, if shooting at game you probably would not notice the difference with a 30-06. Using 160 grain bullets does not seem to damage too much meat.

If 7 RM is category 2, then 300 WSM is catagory 3 and 300 win mag is category 4 and it will beat you up from the bench, they are not fun, I would suggest to family and friends to forget about them.
Happy Hunting

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
.270 Win. Is a Great Deer Round and with bullets made for Elk are perfect for your close range Deer with little meat damage. But if you want it to drop like it was struck by lighting just use any 130gr bullet that's not a solid copper.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey all. I'm looking to get into a new rifle for the next deer season. Looking for consistency from 50-250 yards(that's my hunting spot), flat and powerful but not not overly destructive

With a 250 yard limit I would go with .308 and 180 grain bullets. There isn't a need for the flattest or fastest, only *flat enough*, and for your distances this will suffice. The beauty of heavier / slower is it generally wrecks less meat.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most use 130 gr bullet in a .270 vs a 150-165 in a .308 . Assuming C&C bullets used in both, the.270 will out shoot the .308 distance/ trajectory wise, but the 130 gr bullet tends to be more destructive meat wise from my past experience.

Too me at least the .308 or 7-08 are optimum deer cartridges. Following those ,a 243 with a better bullets is not far behind.
Then step up to something in a 6. 5caliber

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/09/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Concentrate more on the type of bullet rather than which caliber. A ballistic tip in a smaller caliber can cause more destruction than a CC or mono in a larger caliber

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Have your brother shoot over a chronograph with factory loads. It should be enlightening.

As for me 308.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A .270 with the 150 round nose ( I think Remington's still is) or the 30-06 with the 180 round nose, again I think Remington still loads some.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Magnums have more disadvantages than advantages for deer within your range limit. Go with a .308, but for a hint for even a better choice, see my screen name.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
No need to go crazy here. My go to whitetail rifle is a Tikka 595 in 7-08 topped with a Leupold VX2 3-9x40. VERY accurate using Federal Fusion 140 factory ammo. In the 11 years Ive had it and used that combo Ive killed at least 40 deer from 5-275 yards. All either DRT or very short tracks, with very little meat damage.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Let us know what you decide on, this is fun! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tikka t3 lite in 270 win topped with a Bushnell 6500 2-5x16x42 shooting 140 gr Hornady interlock at 3000fps seems perfect every time I open my safe.

But wait
Maybe
The my savage 260 with 125 np
Or
Rem788 308win with 150gr bullet
Or
Rem 788 6mm with 100gr bullet
Or
6.5 grendel with 120gr Sierra
Or
Tikka t3 3006 with 150gr bullet

Point is the deer won’t know the different if you hit him in the right place

Last edited by srwshooter; 01/23/20.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My two cents...
Killed more than a few with 308 and 270.
My pick is the 308, more choices and not a lot of fanfare. Just results.
The 270 kills well too. I just keep going back to the 308.
Pick one that fits you well and go slay venison. Good luck and have fun!

Thanks, Tom

PS...no need for expense and blast of magnum on deer.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

My vote goes to the 358 win...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom2506
My two cents...

Thanks, Tom

What bullet do you prefer in your 308? I'd imagine it would be a split for folks using either 150 or 165s for deer.

As to the OP, I would run a Barnes mono, solid copper if me to minimize meat loss, or you can just punch the lungs. I do know what a 270 / 130 Ballistic Tip will do on deer..........under 100 yds......the 150 Partition and Ballistic Tip was equally deadly with less meat damage.....

Normally I try avoiding shoulders, but for my research, I punched both shoulders on two bucks both crossed same area on different days, broadside, 100 yds, 243 / 95 Ballistic tip (tough bullet in this line) and also a 260 with 130 Accubond. Both cases, meat loss was not bad....

That said, again in your 270, a 150 SHOULD be better typically, and a solid copper mono, like Barnes might be better yet, and in that bullet I would run 130s as speed helps expansion, especially when not hitting much bone, etc.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Deer die easy.

If you can’t get a 7mm-08, use a .308 and whichever factory load that shoots best.

Then practice.

Done.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You can kill deer with about anything. Depending on cover you may want something that leaves a blood trail.

Maine bruisers are seldom seen, and twitchy as heck. You might have one fleeting opportunity per season......or none. Alot of Michigan cover is similar.

Nothing like those stationary Pursuit channel deer shot in large fields, or feeding in senderos. Nothing like the large agricultural fields I used to hunt in NYS. Here, after the shot the animal disappears in thick cover immediately. Maybe while you're recovering from recoil. There is no watching death sprints in this stuff. Whether you use a .243 or a .338.

I've used .300 Wins and Roys for decades and have no complaints. They usually kill fast, and leave a blood trail when they don't kill quick. When I retired had this itch for a .375 R. Seems even more certain insofar as blood trail is concerned. Don't need it, but sure am liking it. Alot!

All that said, a .308 Win would suit me fine for shots to 250 yds or so. It is easily the most popular round now in Maine. The '06 and 7-08 are close. I don't know anyone who uses a .243 here, probably because typical ME cover is so thick. In open areas I'd be perfectly happy with one, tho.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
First, magnums are not necessary. As to ammo availability, if it's legal in your state, the net is your friend which means you have unlimited choices. Therefore, I would go with the 7mm08 and maybe a mono bullet. Then again, there is no way to go wrong with either the.308 or the .270.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by super T
First, magnums are not necessary. As to ammo availability, if it's legal in your state, the net is your friend which means you have unlimited choices. Therefore, I would go with the 7mm08 and maybe a mono bullet. Then again, there is no way to go wrong with either the.308 or the .270.

V-8's are unnecessary too. Yet I like having one under the hood.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Something like a 7-08 or 7x57 with 175 round nose shouldn't be too destructive...other than making a hole through both sides.

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
.308 with 150 gr bullet@ 3000fps
Done

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
What rifle are you planning to buy? I think you are on the right track with caliber selection and can’t really go wrong with either. As for recoil that has more to do with how a particular rifle fits you., definitely subtle differences between brands.. only advice I can give that hasn’t already been said is try not to fall for the bargain basement rifles. Not a fan of the savage axis, and the competitors in that class. Build quality is non existent.

Last edited by AbeJohnsen; 02/08/20.

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 270 and 06. And have been my main go to for 10+ years. My 270 is dedicated deer rifle.
But now and only After 6 months, the 6.5 CM is my new favorite.
Ive seen it cheaper than 308 or the 270 and shoots just as good...actually better.
I Hate to be that guy.
With monos I’d choose the 270 with 130s over the 308

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Concentrate more on the type of bullet rather than which caliber. A ballistic tip in a smaller caliber can cause more destruction than a CC or mono in a larger caliber

“It’s the boolit, not the headstamp”, as we hear from the far North.

Tissue damage and blood loss kills. Just put the destruction in the right place, save meat.

For most general hunting, medium rounds, like the Swede, Creed, 7-08, 308, et. al. are hard to beat, IMO.

Bullet choice as a function of velocity is an art as much if not more than science.

Variables abound. No right or wrong, just what works for you. Opinions evolve over time and with experience.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yes, the .270 does have more recoil, but's it's only just enough to be able to notice it. The .308 with a 200gr bullet kicks just as much. The major difference between them will be in weight. Scoped and loaded, both of my .308's weigh just under 8lbs., and they are plastic stocked rifles with aluminum scope mounts! Bare, they're under 6 1/2. Wood stocked long action rifles like my .270 weigh a bit more. All four of the cartridges you were inquiring about are available in the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless smile

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
D F, I had considered posting these pix and decided not to do it BUT your post convinced me.
I have posted and commented on this but 'some' don't believe.
Obviously a bullet thru the ribs/lungs loses no edible meat but generally there is the death run.

I shot this Doe using the HI shoulder shot. At the 'TOP' of the shoulder
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is not a good pic of the R shoulder, that is blood but NO meat loss off that shoulder

I used the 'gutless' method and you can see the limited damage. None of the L shoulder lost.

Where I hunt most of the time I'm close to a fence, property line, and I use the Hi shoulder shot frequently.
When you learn to put the bullet at the TOP of the shoulder there is LITTLE meat loss.
Here I lost less than a double handful of meat.

I have pix of other deer I've dressed but they are in PhotoPUKEIT and are 'water marked' aka > BLURRED !
I've used 270, 06, & 7 RM. This is my preferred choice of shot placement for no tracking and minimal meat damage.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Shoot em in the head-- no meat loss--

6.5 Swede will do all you need--140 Partition,or Hornady Interlock work fine.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Thanks!

Was a time you woudl be well served by a 308, 270, '06, 708, etc etc. My answer a few years back, for me, was the 7-08.

That said, I dont see how you can conceivably take a deer at distances over 100 yards without a 6.5 Creeeeedmoor, a bipod, and a tacticool scope with turrets.

If you have the ability to co-witness something, all the better.

Best of luck and welcome to the fire.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lots of great advice here, some stupid stuff as well.

Consider what your NEXT rifle will be after this one. That may hep you make this selection.

Oh, and you will be buying another one, even if you dont think you will.

Truly, when it coems down to it, the rifle fit and the projectile are infinitley more important than the headstamp, brand, or a few fps one way or the other.

So, what are you thinking of next, after this rifle?

** and if you hvent figured it out yet, my previous post was just being facetious. No warts onthe 6.5 creed either. In fact, probably none at all.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 02/09/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.257 Weatherby magnum. Thank me later. laugh

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

You obviously have access to the internet. If you want the 7-08, go for it and stock up on ammo online at better prices.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
D F, I had considered posting these pix and decided not to do it BUT your post convinced me.
I have posted and commented on this but 'some' don't believe.
Obviously a bullet thru the ribs/lungs loses no edible meat but generally there is the death run.

I shot this Doe using the HI shoulder shot. At the 'TOP' of the shoulder

This is not a good pic of the R shoulder, that is blood but NO meat loss off that shoulder

I used the 'gutless' method and you can see the limited damage. None of the L shoulder lost.

Where I hunt most of the time I'm close to a fence, property line, and I use the Hi shoulder shot frequently.
When you learn to put the bullet at the TOP of the shoulder there is LITTLE meat loss.
Here I lost less than a double handful of meat.

I have pix of other deer I've dressed but they are in PhotoPUKEIT and are 'water marked' aka > BLURRED !
I've used 270, 06, & 7 RM. This is my preferred choice of shot placement for no tracking and minimal meat damage.

Jerry

Doesn’t that line up with the spine?

Spine shot, they gonna drop.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes D F. The spine ABOVE the shoulders —> going into the neck.

All C N S shots produce instant drop.
Head shot can be MESSY !
Neck is larger dia. Area.
Spine from neck to hips.

You have to have confidence in your Bullet placement.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yes D F. The spine ABOVE the shoulders —> going into the neck.

All C N S shots produce instant drop.
Head shot can be MESSY !
Neck is larger dia. Area.
Spine from neck to hips.

You have to have confidence in your Bullet placement.

Jerry

A good hog shot is shoulder about a third down from the top. Hits the spine.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DELGUE
I'd say get a Ruger Hawkeye in .308 and drive on.

Solid rifle, solid cartridge.

This is what I did, and you can't go wrong with this setup.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Thanks!

Like I said earlier, what you are asking for is a Mono bullet to do the work.

To expand on that, If I am looking to kill deer and wreck a minimum of meat, it WILL be a mono out of a VERY accurate rifle. Accuracy that is absolutely dependable is confidence to place a bullet EXACTLY where you want it. That kind of accuracy is not something you get with every rifle, but you can get close with a lot of them I have a .270 that I shoot with 110 grain TTSXs. I get 1/2 inch high by caliber wide groups out of. I used it to put a deer down where it stood at the bitter end of legal shooting light out past 250 yards in a cut hay field because I was not longer certain of EXACTLY where it was standing, and I wanted nothing to do with having an hours search to find blood if I was lucky. I put that bullet within 1/2 inch of where I wanted it. I used a .243 with a TSX that was even more accurate to place a bullet through the brain stem at 165 yards because I wanted that particular deer and it was the last minute of the deer season on the same field and I had no choice but to let it go or take that shot. It was facing dead straight away from me. I have never shot a deer in the ass in my life and that one was not about to be the first one. The latter ruined zero meat. The former ruined a very small amount, maybe less than a burger's worth on each of the shoulder blades at the top of the blade.

Without the combination of the superb accuracy of those rifles and the mono bullets the choice would be pass or more wrecked meat, maybe a lot more.

Get started reloading! You want and need the accuracy that can provide. Monos are sensitive to seating depth with individual rifles and that can mean the difference between really superb accuracy and "minute of deer" accuracy.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I started out in 1973 shooting a .308 with 180gr. Hornady RN bullet, I took my biggest buck with that load. Later switched to 165gr. Sierra GK which worked well, fast forward to the last few years I still use the 165gr. Sierra GK in .30-06 harvested both '019 deer with that combination. I also shoot a .35 Whelen with 200gr. Hornady Inter-lok RN which is accurate and deadly on whitetail, last deer taken with that load was an 8pt. buck. A 100yd. raking shot the bullet was recovered from just under the skin of the farside shoulder. It was perfectly mushroomed and retained 66% of its original weight. .308, .30-06, .35 Whelen have been my go to calibers for deer hunting for the last 58yrs. they always got the job done without a lot of meat loss.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by Tom2506
My two cents...

Thanks, Tom

What bullet do you prefer in your 308? I'd imagine it would be a split for folks using either 150 or 165s for deer.

As to the OP, I would run a Barnes mono, solid copper if me to minimize meat loss, or you can just punch the lungs. I do know what a 270 / 130 Ballistic Tip will do on deer..........under 100 yds......the 150 Partition and Ballistic Tip was equally deadly with less meat damage.....

Normally I try avoiding shoulders, but for my research, I punched both shoulders on two bucks both crossed same area on different days, broadside, 100 yds, 243 / 95 Ballistic tip (tough bullet in this line) and also a 260 with 130 Accubond. Both cases, meat loss was not bad....

That said, again in your 270, a 150 SHOULD be better typically, and a solid copper mono, like Barnes might be better yet, and in that bullet I would run 130s as speed helps expansion, especially when not hitting much bone, etc.

65BR,
In the 308 I mostly use 170gr Speer HotCore FN and Hornady 180gr RN. Both driven about 2450fps.

IF... I had to use something else it would be the 110 or 130gr Barnes TTSX driven 3100+ fps. Wicked killers.

In the 270 it would be the 150gr Partition @ 2800-2850fps. Reliable and deadly.

Last edited by Tom2506; 02/13/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Someone mentioned thinking about what your NEXT rifle might be, after purchasing this one, in weighing your current consideration. I like that bit of advice a lot. To me, .308 seems not only ideal given the parameters you mention in your current purchase, but an excellent ‘middle ground’ to move ‘up’ from or ‘down’ from there. Hard not to like a .good rifle in .308. That would be my pick.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 603Country
If you don’t reload, I’d guess the easiest ammo to find on the shelf at Bubba’s Gas Station and Feed Store will be 270, 308, and 30-06.

This is one of my top priorities with this rifle, easy access to ammunition. Don't have to seek out specialty gun or sporting goods stores. If in need and life has me running behind, I can just swing into any department store that sells sporting goods, or even Bubba's 😉

I do love the idea of reloading, getting things dialed in specifically to what I want. Just figured there would be some decent overhead involved in getting started.

The 270 is practically jumping into your cart.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
You don't need a Magnum caliber for 250 yard shots.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 308ld
Cat 1 ...... 308, 150 bullet @ 2800fps. Point blank range would be about 270 yards. point and shoot. Dead deer.

Yea verily, verily.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With whitetail deer, there is simply no reason to think about what you call a Category 2. That's a lot of extra cost, a bunch of extra weight, a lot of extra recoil, and a lot of kinetic energy going into the dirt on the far side of the animal.

Given what remains and the idea that you want to buy ammo off the shelf, I would go with the 308 WIN. I wrote an article within the past six months that pretty much came to the same conclusion, but for a whole different set of criteria than what you are naming.

We mostly shoot 30-06 at my camp. We're handloading everything, so what we shoot is tailored considerably. We have one 308 WIN at camp. It's my Opening Day GOTO rifle. Everything is downloaded a wee bit, but we have plenty to knock a deer off its feet out past 250 yards. All this is done with standard cup-n-core bullets too.

Remember this as well: Most whitetails killed by most hunters are taken within 80 yards. That's an average, of course. However, our camp record is 253 yards. My son took a doe at that range a couple of years ago. I've personally taken more deer inside 50 yards than I have beyond 150.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are a handloader....then.....7mm Remington Magnum......VERY VERSATILE.

Blood shot meat....lung shot and you lessen it. Be surgical with it.

This cartridge can be loaded.. UP... (3,150 fps) very flat to 300 yards. Recoils less....., depending on the load than a .3006.

This cartridge can be loaded ...DOWN...(270 / .308 levels and lower) and still be flat to 300 yards. Recoil ..even less.. 140 grain bullet...or close to a 6.5 Cr.....again depending on the load.

"blue dot powder".....talk to Seafire..... will get you to 2,460 fps with a 32 grain charge and a 140 gr. bullet...in the Big 7......why by a creed...

I like the 308 and load for it.....The 7.... is just easier.

Hand loading rifle cartridges allows you more flexibility from a given cartridge. They are all good.....some more than others due to case design and bullet weight/profile selection.

Best

Heavy

Last edited by HeavyDove; 02/21/20.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.