Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Great hats.

Am staying with the poly balaclava + shemagh and/or/plus fleece balaclava + beanie/boonie + parka hood.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

V
V
Lots of options out there: Outdoor Research, Duluth Trading, Army wool watch cap, Swedish military cap, etc. I mix and match but I haven't had luck with Stormy Kromer's. The new style isn't the same as the old and the "ear flaps" are practically worthless to me. BTW, the Kuiu cap certainly isn't the only sub-zero worthy cap out there. I've got a waxed cotton Mad Bomber that I can't wear above 5°F or it's just too warm and I suspect the Filson Double Mackinaw caps are the same.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Its not a brimmed hat, but I wear a rabbit fur bomber hat when its really cold. Prefer it to most things, but I don't have nearly the hat selection that some of you must have.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I just received a gift. It is a Coal Yukon. Soft wool w/ fleece lining and about a 2" plastic stiffened bill. It is very comfortable and low profile. I will try it out in the mountains in the next couple of days and report back. You can't have too many good hats.

mike r

Used it today on a hike. 28*f and 20 mph winds. I'll give it a 6 out 10. The bill is too short when walking into an afternoon sun. It is comfortable but bordering on not warm enough. I will leave it in the truck for just in case.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Its not a brimmed hat, but I wear a rabbit fur bomber hat when its really cold. Prefer it to most things, but I don't have nearly the hat selection that some of you must have.
Bomber hats are warm to be sure, probably the warmest choice of all. However, I wear glasses and highly prefer a hat with a brim to keep glare and snow off of them. Also, 10 years ago I had cataract surgery and bright sun hurts my eyes much more than it used to. A cap of some kind is a must.

Someone said that the Kromer hats aren't as good as they used to be. I posted that I wear one and added a photo of my red plaid Kromer Rancher. It's not the best fitting hat I've worn and the ear flaps aren't as warm as they could be, but it does work. It has a tendency to ride up in back so I often have to push it back down. A shaped ear flap that came down over the ears but not so far down over the neck would probably reduce the riding up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wear a soft , felt cowboy hat , and a silk rag around my neck most times. I have a bomber hat for chores and close work. All winter hats must be easy to use a headlamp with.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite was the Plenty coups archery “Coups cap” but they were bought out by Two tracks archery who makes wool and fleece of the same.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

If it's cold enough for wool, it's cold enough for ear flaps.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So it sounds like he wants a warm billed hat, not a brimmed hat. Or at least those are the suggestions he's getting.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by cas6969
So it sounds like he wants a warm billed hat, not a brimmed hat. Or at least those are the suggestions he's getting.

Yes I think the OP means a billed cap since he specifically says he wants it to keep a hood from dropping over his eyes and a brimmed cap/hat will not work very well with a hood. I hate hoods but I am a fisherman and we wear rain gear a lot and without a billed cap you cannot keep a darn hood out of your face.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

That might be a good hat for North Carolina weather but it's not what the OP is looking for................"I've been looking for a brimmed warm hat (e.g., down-filled, covers ears) so my rain hood doesn't fall over my eyes (like when I wear a beanie). I've searched the interweb to no avail. Any tips?"

If you can't cover your ears 100%........you're out to lunch IMO.

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 12/19/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That Filson is ready for a ride on mrs kromer’s singer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...cktarn-winter-caps-3-pack-used?a=2208273

[Linked Image from image.sportsmansguide.com]

I just bought a bunch of these at Sportmansguide.com. We keep these around camp, because they are very warm. This batch was exceptionally warm. They work very well in keeping a hood out of your face as well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Outdoor Research Whitefish, stiff, large brim, earflaps and a face cover. Best of all it is 100% polyester so is very water repellant and dries very quickly. I wore it daily for 30 days in Wyoming this fall and it is the best I've had.

mike r

+1 on the OR Whitefish. I picked one up on Sierra Trading for $20.
I think it’s going to be ideal and I prefer the snaps to Velcro. Velcro catches on everything.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one of these with member points a few years ago. Does exactly what you are looking for, it's super warm and comfortable, and you can fold the ear flaps up as you please. It too is not a fashion item, and I also don't care how I look with it on smile

https://www.rei.com/product/119161/rei-co-op-insulated-waterproof-hat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ravenwear is now defunct, but I have 3 of their Canuck hats. Max4, Blaze,White. Their are windproof, insulated fleece, with a short brim and ear flaps. They have never been too cold. I wish the brim had a plastic stiffener. Other than that, a very good hat.

The owners retired and closed the business.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Stormy Kromer, not down, but warm and will keep the hood from dropping into your eyes. Plus stays on while you hang your head out the window of your locomotive

I agree I have a Stormy kromer, it's great!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
One option is to use any lightweight ball cap. Wear the beanie over the cap. I'm a heater when walking up the mountain so I don't want a warm hat.....I wear a plain non-insulated orange cap, brim helps keep sun out of my eyes and helps me hold bino's steady. When I'm sitting and start cooling off I'll put the beanie on over it. Works well with hood from rain jacket too.

That right there.

Another option over the ballcap is those liners you can get for hardhats. Great for the ears, but depending on the flavor can also handle the neck and throat. Balaclavas work but my beef with them, if any, is that they hug the skin too tight when sometimes you want a little breathing room.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I tried on a Milwaukee cuffed beanie at Home Depot. It's a little expensive for a stocking cap but it's heavier than most stocking caps, quite warm, and fits great over a ball cap.

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

― George Orwell

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 59 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.