Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jeffrey Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My beautiful wife bought me this rifle for Christmas. I’ve been reading about and watching videos on this rifle and was excited to get it. With the scarcity of decent gun shops here, I was unable to find one within driving distance so I could handle one in person.

Unboxing it, I immediately noticed the quality and craftsmanship of the rifle. The other thing I noticed immediately was the small size of the action and rifle. The stock is not shortened and feels good, even in my lanky 6’2” frame. The sites are nice and very visible and sharp. This model has a fiber optic white rest sight and a red adjustable front ramp. I replaced the rear site with a peep sight from NEGC. The trigger is very nice and also has the single set trigger. It is a nice trigger in both normal or set operation.

One of my attractions to this rifle is it’s ability to shoot cheap surplus ammo. Our local Academy supplied several hundred rounds of Wolf 123 FMJ and 124 grain soft points. I cleaned the rifle, dripping with packing preservative, installed the rear sight and bore sighted it. Now to get it to the range.

A couple of buddies came in for a deer hunt which prompted my first opportunity to take it to the range while they checked the zeros on their rifles. The range was packed, so I went straight to the 100 yard line. To my happiness the first round landed on my target. I made a quick adjustment to both front and rear rights and shot a two round group. Both rounds were less than an inch apart and closer to the center of the target. I made another adjustment, followed by a three round group hitting at 12 o’clock on the black on a 6” black dot target. One more adjustment and a five round group. These landed center on the target and were grouped smaller than my fist. I was very pleased.

Now that I was sighted in, I loaded a magazine of 5 rounds of the 124 soft points, my previous shots being the FMJ. I couldn’t have been happier when my group landed squarely in the middle of my previous shots. In less than 20 shots, this rifle was shooting the two types of ammo in excellent groups to the same point of aim. I fired 5 rounds from the kneeling just for fun and cleaned the barrel. With an extra black dot target in hand I went down range to see my target up close. All 5 rounds from my kneeling group landed within the 6 inch dot. Not bad for a hasty kneeling group and open sights.
Before leaving I fired one more 5 shot group onto the fresh target from the bench; this time with the trigger set. With other items on the agenda, the guys and I didn’t wait for the next ceasefire, but the peak through my 20x spotting scope showed me all I needed to see. A tight cluster over the x-ring. Maybe an inch and a half or so. But, why ruin my great day by walking down range to find the unseen flyer?
Needless to say, at this point I’m feeling great about the rifle. I can’t wait to try it out on a pig or deer. I’ll be sure to post my results when that happens. But for the time being, I’ll be working the action and watching as the rifle continues to smooth out.

Have any of you had any experiences with these? I’d like to know what others‘ experiences are. Already thinking of my next 527. Thinking American 6.5 Grendel.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bud I hunt with a lot loves his. It kills well for him and is handy/accurate. I think a mannlicher would be way cool for a woods gun.

Second link indicates over 2600 for 125s and over 2300 with 150s. That’s close enough to 30-30 that nothing will ever know it ain’t.

https://loaddata.com/Article/BenchTopics/Handloads-for-the-762x39/101

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/04/re...development-with-125-and-150-gr-bullets/

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/31/19.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
If the 124 soft points do well in game I’ll leave it at that. A full stock would be interesting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
wanted one for a while... just never got around to getting one yet..

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Are the CZ’s .308 bore?

Sounds like a fun rifle!

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in walnut, though the reverse situation applies here. I traded into this one and my wife fell in love with it, so it's hers now. She killed a fat doe with it at 228 yards, right at dusk two years ago. The rifle will routinely place five Tula FMJ in three inches at 200 yards.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SargeMO; 01/01/20.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by beretzs
Are the CZ’s .308 bore?

Sounds like a fun rifle!

Either .310 or .311.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I have one in walnut, though the reverse situation applies here. I traded into this one and my wife fell in love with it, so it's hers now. She killed a fat doe with it at 228 yards, right at dusk two years ago. The rifle will routinely place five Tula FMJ in three inches at 200 yards.

Good for her. Was she shooting the FMJ when she killed that doe?

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I love mine.
I Have a vx1 2-7 on mine and it shoots moa with silver bear soft points. Used factory tikka rings to hold the scope little lower than CZs. I do have the czs for sale.

Unfortunately I have to send it back to cz as the Release clip holding the magazine broke and the mag just falls out.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Try Federal “blue box” 123 grain soft points....I have three 7.62X39s - one CZ 527, one mini-mark X and a Ruger 77 compact and typically get 3/4” groups or less with this ammo in all three. Have taken a few whitetails and a turkey with these rifles....fun little guns!

PennDog

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Good for her. Was she shooting the FMJ when she killed that doe?

Barnaul soft points

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Originally Posted by beretzs
Are the CZ’s .308 bore?

Sounds like a fun rifle!

Either .310 or .311.

Thank you. Sounds like a fun rifle.

Semper Fi
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one and initially had an occasional failure to feed issue with it. After a few hundred rounds through the rifle, this problem went away. In light of the platform and cartridge, the accuracy using 123 gr SSTs is absolutely astounding. It is a dandy little rifle to own and shoot. CP.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
FWIW, I did forget that my bud had some initial action and trigger roughness on his, that had to be smoothed out.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Been liking mine for almost 16 years now. I have deer hunted with it but the darn deer will not cooperate when I have it. Armadillos and coyotes not so lucky. grin
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I thought that cartridge would make a splendid cast bullet shooter despite the short neck and it certainly does. This is 9 shots with my 165 cast bullet at 100 yds.

Forgot to add: You are blessed with the wife you have....Better keep that one! wink

Last edited by Joe; 01/01/20.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sako
wanted one for a while... just never got around to getting one yet..

Me too. They are neat little rifles.

I’ve got a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62 x 39.
It’s very accurate and I like it because it uses the Ruger Mini 30 mags.
But it’s not a classy like the CZ Carbine

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fine little rifle that you have in the CZ. I've been shooting deer for a few years now with a mild load and 125 gr bulk Remington bullets. Chest shots and little blacktails drop fast. My load isn't a heck of a lot faster than you're getting so go and have fun. Congratulations.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
FWIW, I did forget that my bud had some initial action and trigger roughness on his, that had to be smoothed out.

This rifle has definitely smoothed out as I have handled it and shot it. Just got back from shooting it again and it’s getting better. The trigger did feel a little rough at first but I’ve cleaned, fired and dry fired enough that the trigger is feeling smooth and crisp. The action rails had some sharp edges that at smoothing out.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Joe
Been liking mine for almost 16 years now. I have deer hunted with it but the darn deer will not cooperate when I have it. Armadillos and coyotes not so lucky. grin

I thought that cartridge would make a splendid cast bullet shooter despite the short neck and it certainly does. This is 9 shots with my 165 cast bullet at 100 yds.

Forgot to add: You are blessed with the wife you have....Better keep that one! wink

Thank you, Joe.
What load are you running with your 165 cast loads, and do you shoot them at anything other than paper?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I've had two of them. Both were stolen by youngsters. The first was loaned to a coworker for use by his son. I freely let him use it with a stern warning that it was a loan and WAS NOT FOR SALE! The boy immediately went out and slew his first three deer with it and wouldn't let me have it back. I made his dad give me something for it but it was less than I had in it.

I eventually just had to buy a new one because you can't find them used. I had it 4-5 years and loaned it to another buddy for his daughter's use last year. She tried and tried to kill her first buck with it, but just never got a chance. When her birthday rolled around early this year, I gave it to her. Got a txt from her dad about 3 hours ago with a picture of her first buck with the CZ laying across it! She shot it right at dark in Lowndes County this afternoon. She was one happy young lady, but I think her dad was more excited. It was a fat. young 7 point. I would post the picture but don't have her dad's permission. Maybe later.

Jeffrey, I also shot cast in my 2nd rifle before that little girl stolt it. I had ended up with a small batch of 180ish grain RN cast bullets in an estate that I handled. They had been sized and lubed but miked around 0.314" and I had never tried them in my 30 cals, They shot beautifully in the CZ! Not as good as the group above, but pretty dang fine. I'll try to dig up the load data next time I'm in the shop.

Wonder where I can find another one....

Last edited by Hook; 01/01/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.