Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
My wife surprised me with an AR15 for Christmas. Didn’t ask for it, wasn’t expecting it and have never owned one. It is a complete 80% kit that I will have to get milled to shoot. Has a 7twist 18” barrel. Seems pretty nice. Thinking I’ll take it out to shoot ground squirrels this spring and maybe a badger or coyote. Also bang some gongs.

For this purpose and usage what ammo and scope do you recommend? Was thinking like 50-55 grain vmax loads? Maybe a 10x SS or a 1-8x Vortex strike Eagle?

I’m way out of my league here so open to suggestions.

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find frontier ammo loaded with 75gr hornady bthp. Use that for everything, I run 10x swfa on my AR and 1-4 swfa on another.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whatever scope you’d choose for the same purpose in a bolt gun.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
either the vmax type you mention or 79S 75 bthp. Can't go wrong with the 75s as all around, but they won't open up violently on varmints like the vmax stuff does.

I"m a bit different than some, but 75 bthps we keep on hand for about anything use wise as a mainstay reloads though. Its that or 62 barnes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just a caution. You have to do the milling of the 80% for it to be legal.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
For ground squirrels and coyotes the lighter varmint bullets will provide much more dynamic results than the 75BTHP. I like 55gr ballistic tips and 53gr Vmaxes for coyotes, get that explosive expansion that folds them up on the spot. Might blow holes in them if you’re into skinning coyotes, I take their picture and leave them lay so it doesn’t matter to me.

I use a lot of the 75BTHP but have had erratic results with them. Coyotes with seemingly pencil holes that ran a ways before they went down. One pretty big pig caught one in an eye socket that just cratered a huge hole in his head but didn’t penetrate the brainpan. Probably 40 other pigs I had good results on, YMMV. The 77 Sierra TMK has been pretty awesome on a couple deer and some pigs. Not as large a sample as the Hornady so the jury is still out but promising so far.

I like small optics on 16 and 18 inch ARs, I feel they balance and handle better. Have a 1.25-4 VXR on mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Yep this is true. If it were me I would spend 40-50 bucks for a lower put it together, shoot it and save the 80% for later.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Exactly. He may not know that, as his op made it sound like he was going to have it done elsewhere. Cool beans that his wife got him an ar though. Lucky guy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
My wife surprised me with an AR15 for Christmas. Didn’t ask for it, wasn’t expecting it and have never owned one. It is a complete 80% kit that I will have to get milled to shoot. Has a 7twist 18” barrel. Seems pretty nice. Thinking I’ll take it out to shoot ground squirrels this spring and maybe a badger or coyote. Also bang some gongs.

For this purpose and usage what ammo and scope do you recommend? Was thinking like 50-55 grain vmax loads? Maybe a 10x SS or a 1-8x Vortex strike Eagle?

I’m way out of my league here so open to suggestions.

Hairing, how far away are your gongs set up? For longer distance shooting id grab what 79s suggested. As an example: If the gongs are 400+ yards away, id use those. If you handload, pick up some 77TMK bullets. Ive experienced phenomenal accuracy with them. They also pass the fbi's minimum requirement in penetration testing. Probably why a lot of guys use them for deer hunting. Id use something like the 53gr v-max for ground squirrels. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am covered - I have a friend that spent time in the army and worked in the armory - he has done 4 or 5 of these 80% kits and has the jigs. He was the one that mentioned it to my wife and that's the main reason she ordered it.

Also, I talked to a local shop today that specializes in AR's and they will mill it and serialize it for me for $150. Don't plan on doing that, but good to know.

Right now this will probably just be a fun gun...Ill but some 75/77 grain stuff and plink some LR steel (I can hang it out as far as you want to shoot) and some vmax stuff for varmints...Right now Im thinking come spring this will be a fun little ground squirrel gun out to as far as I want to shoot them.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMO, you are a lottery winner with your wife.

Ex-wife and last GF were Obama voters.. Never again.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Fiocchi 50 grain vmax have shot very well in about half a dozen guns I have shot them in. Sub moa. Ed k

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Find frontier ammo loaded with 75gr hornady bthp. Use that for everything, I run 10x swfa on my AR and 1-4 swfa on another.

Just a word of caution, be careful with the Frontier ammo. Some of their loads have a nasty habit of spontaneously disassembling an AR-15. There is a thread over on arfcom tracking most of the reported kB's if you're interested.

It's not all loads, it seems to be mostly around the 55gr fmj and the 68/69 OTM loads. It doesn't appear the ammo is bad per se, just loaded to the ragged edge and it doesn't play nice with certain chamber, gas port, bcg, and spring rate combinations.

In all likelihood, you should be fine, but something to be aware of, and if you're not willing to take the chance there are alternatives for the same cost per round. SGAmmo has Fiocchi 50/55 gr v-max for 0.32 cpr. There is an Armscor 62gr bonded softpoint for 0.30 cpr.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Typical Hornady ammo. I would rather shoot Wolf.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've had good success with Fiocchi 50 gr VMax in the accuracy department.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Nother + on the Fiocchi 50 grain Vmax.

Shoots GREAT in my 16" AR , and Daughter and son in laws AR's

We split a 1,000 round case from Cheaper than Dirt.

Virgil B.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by midget
Originally Posted by 79S

Just a word of caution, be careful with the Frontier ammo. Some of their loads have a nasty habit of spontaneously disassembling an AR-15. There is a thread over on arfcom tracking most of the reported kB's if you're interested.

It's not all loads, it seems to be mostly around the 55gr fmj and the 68/69 OTM loads. It doesn't appear the ammo is bad per se, just loaded to the ragged edge and it doesn't play nice with certain chamber, gas port, bcg, and spring rate combinations.

In all likelihood, you should be fine, but something to be aware of, and if you're not willing to take the chance there are alternatives for the same cost per round. SGAmmo has Fiocchi 50/55 gr v-max for 0.32 cpr. There is an Armscor 62gr bonded softpoint for 0.30 cpr.

Mindlessly repeating 4th-hand rumors like some lonely old woman.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 79S

y'all don't like the 62 grain SOST load OR the 62 grain BTHP Frontier ?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by 79S

y'all don't like the 62 grain SOST load OR the 62 grain BTHP Frontier ?

They don’t buck the wind very well at 600yds..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
most deer I have shot have been under a hundred yards, so you know I am not so much worried about 600 yards as I am about terminal performance at 50 yards, I bet there are not many 600 yard shooters here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.