Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I am not sure about rafts flipping at sea. I have been trying to avoid ever ending up in one. I have never heard mentioned that the rafts couldn’t flip over though in the training i have had though. Like I said I have righted a raft solo while wearing a gumbie.

As you know, there are no absolutes, but the ballasted rafts have been tested in extreme conditions without flipping.

https://www.viking-yachting.com/global/faqs

Q: What are the bags beneath the liferaft?

A: The liferaft has four 55 l quick filling, weighted ballast bags attached beneath, providing maximum stability and preventing capsizing in heavy seas. The oversized openings around the top and the sewn in weights allow the bags to fill quickly creating immediate stability.

Q: If we are only two people in an 8-person liferaft, will it flip over?

A: No. The ballast bags and sea anchor provide stability.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Cannot imagine being in my bunk when things were that dicey... or icy.

You or I either one...

Lawler and Gribble say they woke due to the boat taking on a severe list, it's not stated as to what the rest of the crew was doing prior to that.

For those that have been involved in the industry very long and fortunate enough not to have been directly involved in a Coast Guard investigation where a death has occurred have surely been close enough to one to know few facts surface before all active investigations are completed.
The story will be public in about a year.

Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Sounds like time to dump pots but if conditions don’t allow you to de-ice they’d likely hamper dumping pots. I guess it comes down to risking 1 or 2 lives for the rest of the crew and vessel.

That'd be a hard call to make.

From just the information in these news reports it been stated that the captain commented on having a list and seeking a sheltered area when he was speaking to his friend on the phone.

It "appears" that the list went from dicey to severe all in one wave which woke Lawler and Gribble.
While they were scrambling to get into survival suits and out of the wheel house they rolled further yet, another big wave?

After that, once out on the deck, yet another wave knocked both of them off the boat.

Maybe the rest of the crew were scrambling to try to save the boat?

I can't help but think back to the story of the men that lost their lives when they did abandon their distressed vessel shortly after leaving Kodiak. (Nights of Ice, Working on the Edge?)
One or two of the men survived and were looking at their swamped but floating boat the next morning after the sun came up.

So sad to hear. I spent 12 years commercial fishing up there, and I can assure you that things can go bad out there way faster than you can react to them. No matter what you read, or watch on TV, you'll NEVER understand until you actually go do it... year after year, season after season.

Rest in peace...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffA

It "appears" that the list went from dicey to severe all in one wave which woke Lawler and Gribble.
While they were scrambling to get into survival suits and out of the wheel house they rolled further yet, another big wave?

The icing obviously changes the center of gravity and righting moment. The heavy sea state obviously confounded the stability issues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by JeffA

And speaking of the two men the Coast Guard rescued...

These Coasties are one hell'ova breed.
2 AM in the black of night they manage to locate and pluck these two guys outta the water!
Sure they knew they were 170 miles southwest of Air Station Kodiak and they probably had the last known coordinates of the vessel, but damn!

From the few facts known, they found them 10 miles from where the boat last reported being.
Talk about a needle in a hay stack x100....

10 degrees, 60 mph winds and some medic snaps on and drops down to start checking the life rafts they found.
That guy has balls!

Helicopter struggling to maintain location and elevation and this guys gonna get out in black dark schitty conditions and drop down on a wire.

Hats off to them!

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Definately need to give these rescue guys props.

I remember an epic story from the Sitka Air base from a ways back - prolly the Loran days. Similar situation (probably not 10 degrees air temp). Helo trying to find the needle in the haystack. Down to the minimum fuel required for a safe return. Find the guys in the water as the clock is running out. Someone must remember than story?

And don't forget the guys who keep the equipment running in top condition. Anyone remember poster BW (Brian Womack). He used to post here. I know he was an A&P guy at the Sitka Base. Think he had to go the the sand box.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here is one pretty good story; I knew CDR Whiddon (USCG, ret.) when I lived in Kodiak.

https://marthakotite.com/believers-...a-father-and-son-stranded-in-sitka-sound

here is another https://www.amazon.com/Night-Orion-Fell-Survival-Story/dp/0615591930

Last edited by kid0917; 01/28/20. Reason: add another link
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917
here is one pretty good story; I knew CDR Whiddon (USCG, ret.) when I lived in Kodiak.

https://marthakotite.com/believers-...a-father-and-son-stranded-in-sitka-sound

here is another https://www.amazon.com/Night-Orion-Fell-Survival-Story/dp/0615591930

I still know him and his son...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
talks like a furriner, don't he? Ian still work at the seafood place?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They both do... I believe the accent is Welsh, not English, and the boat was a troller, not a trawler... but still a good story.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,267
Posts18,448,289
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.