Page 26 of 67 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 66 67
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Scott
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I have a door frame mounted bar- it's fair, but nothing more; I'd like to get a good pull up/dip stand (of course a nice squat cage/bench and 300-ish lbs of free weights would be nice too :D)

You should look into an Ohio Bar and Bumper Plates from Rogue, not overly expensive. Add the ES-1 Squat rack and you have everything you really need to get a great workout in. If I remember right the Ohio Bar, Bumper Plates, and Rack where just under $1000.00 without shipping. I might be upgrading my squat rack if you are interested. That would save you some money both on the rack and shipping.

I've been thinking about this too. I have a whimpy bench (I hate it) and some 1" bars and plates. Thinking I'd cancel the Y membership and buy a rack olympic bar and plates. 2 years membership would pay for a decent setup. Like you, room is an issue.

Researching racks - I like the Rev 4000 but considering Titan, ECHO, ForceUSA, and NY Barbell. Rogue is probably out of the budget. Gotta watch the options. Some are brand specific and some racks don't come with anything. Any advice?

Next trip downstate I may swing by York PA and pick up plates and a bar.

Regarding room - this will go in my basement so I think I'll build a platform though I'll keep it smaller (7ft width vs std 8ft). Length is an issue too. There are probably only 2 lifts I'd need the extra outside the rack - room for bench and powercleans. If depth of rack is 30"+ I probably can do them inside too. Assuming I need the extra platform length I thought I'd build the 2ft-3ft extension and when needed set it in place. Drill (2) holes in each section and pin them together with a flat bar and pins. Should be stable.

Scott here is my very simple set up. Rack, Bench, Ohio Bar, EZ Curl Bar, Bumper Plates, Kettlebell, Medicine Ball, Box, and green and black bands. Doesn't take up much room at all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 03/30/20.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
6.9 mile hike today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MCH - nice setup. My only concern with the squat rack is flipping it on a failed squat. I guess if I bolted it down to a platform and stored plates on the front it'd be less of an issue. Going to rethink this a little. thx

60 min ride yesterday morning. Did a short session in evening - dips, pull ups, BB curls, LTE, lunges, hanging leg lifts. Pretty good workout.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
MCH- looks like a nice setup- guessing it's tall enough to squat from too?

do they offer an attachment that goes across the top you could do pull-ups w/?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mtwarden
MCH- looks like a nice setup- guessing it's tall enough to squat from too?

do they offer an attachment that goes across the top you could do pull-ups w/?

I have purposely tried to tip the rack over. Not Happening!

It is tall enough to squat but not tall enough to do pull ups on. 70-3/8 tall. last hole is 68-1/2"

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 03/31/20.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My buddy challenged me to a workout today he kicked my a_s!

25 minute AMRAP
5 Push ups
5 Pull ups
5 30" Box jumps
5 Dead lifts 225lb
5 Thrusters 135lb

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yesterday

6 rounds

24 air squats
24 push ups
24 walking lunges

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I am sure they are all decent racks. Not sure what they cost but I am sure they are all in the same ballpark. As far as the bar goes I would spend the extra if more for the Rogue Ohio Bar. As far as space goes I believe where there is a will there is a way. Having your own gym leaves you with no excuses, it's open 24/7/365!

What MCH said. A good bar is worth putting $ into....I learned the hard way. Bought 2 cheap 300 lb sets years ago....back then there weren't many options for bumpers. The first time I did hang cleans with 225 the bar bent. I took it back to the box store and they replaced it with the best bar they had...was really nice of them to do that. That bar made it to hang cleans with 275 before it bent. I ordered a needle bearing olympic lifting competition bar from Pendley along with bumper plates and that bar will last the rest of my life. I still use the bent one for squats, bench, etc...but nothing ballistic.

I built a rack years ago....probably 16 or 17 years ago. I love being able to train at home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I am sure they are all decent racks. Not sure what they cost but I am sure they are all in the same ballpark. As far as the bar goes I would spend the extra if more for the Rogue Ohio Bar. As far as space goes I believe where there is a will there is a way. Having your own gym leaves you with no excuses, it's open 24/7/365!

What MCH said. A good bar is worth putting $ into....I learned the hard way. Bought 2 cheap 300 lb sets years ago....back then there weren't many options for bumpers. The first time I did hang cleans with 225 the bar bent. I took it back to the box store and they replaced it with the best bar they had...was really nice of them to do that. That bar made it to hang cleans with 275 before it bent. I ordered a needle bearing olympic lifting competition bar from Pendley along with bumper plates and that bar will last the rest of my life. I still use the bent one for squats, bench, etc...but nothing ballistic.

I built a rack years ago....probably 16 or 17 years ago. I love being able to train at home.
275# hang cleans is nothing to sneeze at! Well done! IIRC you mentioned doing reverse hypers, do you do those at home? If so, care to post pics of your set up for those? Looking to make back stronger and those look like a good addition; especially if you watch the Westside barbell documentary... wink

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pointer

275# hang cleans is nothing to sneeze at! Well done! IIRC you mentioned doing reverse hypers, do you do those at home? If so, care to post pics of your set up for those? Looking to make back stronger and those look like a good addition; especially if you watch the Westside barbell documentary... wink

I use the reverse hyper every time I lift. I don't use it so much for strength building but for the traction/active decompression effect on my lower back....nothing else can mimic what it does. That said, if you don't have any back issues I'm not sure that I'd sink the $ in it but for my use I'll never be without it.

I can take a pic later but it's the following. Titan has an economy version as well but I haven't tried it.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/lower-body/h-pnd/400593.html

Edited to add: Westside barbell/Louie created the rev hyper and he's constantly pushing it. After you use one, it sells itself on what it can do for a back. There's a reason they use it like they do.

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 04/01/20. Reason: Louie and westside
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After further review I'm liking the Rogue SML-2. I want a pull up bar even though I suck at them. Only way to get better is to keep working on them. Nothing is in stock anywhere so I have to wait to order. Meanwhile still riding the bike and hitting the treadmill. Bodyweight and dumbell work tonight.

Have to do more research on barbell. I like center knurling and most of the Rogue bars don't have that. Plates really add up too. This may be tougher to face my wife with than buying a another bow.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Scott
...............I want a pull up bar........

I use the bar for a lot of different exercises/variations. Hanging a pair of the rings from the bar gives you lot so options for dips, feet raised pushups, and pullups/chins/changing angles.

https://www.titan.fitness/endurance/gymnastics/rings/32mm-wood-olympic-gymnastic-rings---1.5%22-w-heavy-duty-thick-straps-%26-buckle/410111.html

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I use the reverse hyper every time I lift. I don't use it so much for strength building but for the traction/active decompression effect on my lower back....nothing else can mimic what it does. That said, if you don't have any back issues I'm not sure that I'd sink the $ in it but for my use I'll never be without it.

I can take a pic later but it's the following. Titan has an economy version as well but I haven't tried it.

https://www.titan.fitness/strength/specialty-machines/lower-body/h-pnd/400593.html

Edited to add: Westside barbell/Louie created the rev hyper and he's constantly pushing it. After you use one, it sells itself on what it can do for a back. There's a reason they use it like they do.

The RH-2 is on the top of my list for next buys. I can't afford the Westside.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks for the information. I've googled some things to add to a squat rack that kinda works like one. But they seem kinda not like the real thing.

Last edited by pointer; 04/01/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tried to hit some trails this morning on the mountain bike, but holy crap were they busy for any morning, let alone middle of the week. Cut it short because of that.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
4 miles on the trails w/ Tiny E; no mud!!!

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Still lightly snowing here

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did my "regular circuit" with the pack on, takes about 90 minutes with a few little steep hills I can go up/down enough to get the heart rate up.

Better than sitting on the couch eating cheetos......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rowed yesterday....

This evening went down to the basement to lift and heard water running....blown water tank.....

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That sucks Battue I hope you caught it soon enough.

Page 26 of 67 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1minute, 43 invisible), 2,809 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.