Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 67 1 2 3 4 5 6 66 67
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mtwarden? That guy is boring as hell. "Fifteen miles through three feet of snow and 4,000 elevation gain with Tiny Elvis." "Twice on Sunday." How many times can you read that?

Trying to liven the place up here.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Mtwarden? That guy is boring as hell. "Fifteen miles through three feet of snow and 4,000 elevation gain with Tiny Elvis." "Twice on Sunday." How many times can you read that?

Trying to liven the place up here.

well I could talk about the warming huts and the naked woman, but then you guys would lose respect for me laugh

a nice 8 mile loop with Tiny E, the only good thing about getting out in really cold weather is when it turns to just cold weather- it feels warm smile

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mtwarden

well I could talk about the warming huts and the naked woman, but then you guys would lose respect for me laugh

Nah, I'd just think you were afraid to pee in a cup, just like Battue. He has similar hallucinations.

Cardio in the gym for me today, 30 minutes HIIT on the stair machine, and then 30 at a steady aerobic pace on the bike. Upper body yesterday, lower body the day before.

Just wanted you guys to know I haven' been slacking off. Or peeing in cups.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In your case HIIT: Highly Intentional Inactivity Training.
Ramp it up, and go for 60 minutes next time.

laissez les bons temps rouler
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Bi's, tri's, shoulders, and 20mins of intervals on the stairmaster.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Theeck
For those of you that do squats, do any of you get knee pain on long hikes afterwards? Ever since I started squatting again, I have started to get iliotibial band pain after hiking a few miles. I am trying some home physical therapy exercises hoping I can get rid of it. I'd hate to never be able to squat but if the PT doesn't work, I think I am going to have to stop doing squats.

I am not a Dr or a PT but to me it sounds like you might have a muscle imbalance.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
For those of you that do squats, do any of you get knee pain on long hikes afterwards? Ever since I started squatting again, I have started to get iliotibial band pain after hiking a few miles. I am trying some home physical therapy exercises hoping I can get rid of it. I'd hate to never be able to squat but if the PT doesn't work, I think I am going to have to stop doing squats.

I am not a Dr or a PT but to me it sounds like you might have a muscle imbalance.

That, or tight hamstrings. Tight hamstrings prevent your legs from fully straightening out (extending) with each stride, which in turn puts added stress on knees and lower back. So running or walking long distances has a cumulative effect with each step and causes knee and lower back pain, when your legs don't fully extend.

I learned that about 20 years ago from an orthopedic surgeon who specialized in biomechanics. Went in for knee pain, first thing he did was put me up on the table and extend my legs to see how tight the hamstrings were. They were very tight. Then he drew me a vector diagram and showed me how it worked, with added force on the knees and lower back when the legs don't fully extend. He showed me some good stretches, and the pain went away and hasn't come back.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I doubt highly his hamstring is the problem. Sounds like his calf or quads are torquing the petella. Which is causing the band to get caught.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I would lighten up on the weight for a spell, have someone that I have confidence in take a look at my form to make sure I'm still doing it right, and if not working the stomach enough, would up the mid-section work.

Most PT people are not all that up on serious squat form. First place I would go would be to a serious power lifter that knows.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I doubt highly his hamstring is the problem.

There's an easy way to find out.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a classic jeff-workout.... grin. Spent about 3 hours under the house fixing a major drain line issue. And a couple more laying on the floor or kneeling and snaking the [bleep]. Good times. I was actually getting cramps in my abs under there, which was funny, because I've been doing crunches at night. Crawling uses everything, as far as I can tell from the aftermath. Pretty tired.

Got a bad cold so that about did me in for the day. And haven't been walking or riding. I think that cold-air "asthma" I had on the one recent ride was this cold coming on. It started in my upper lungs. Tight as a vise.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mtwarden

hmmm- I'll often be good and sore after squatting, but I find hiking after helps alleviate that soreness

I did have a weird pain when I first started back into squatting- it's a small muscle on the upper outside of your quad- no longer remember what it was called, when I searched for it online I found it and a few stretches that help, along with w/ rolling it before; fortunately I haven't had that pain in several months

are you squatting heavy? possibly back off the weight a little and go to higher reps for awhile? maybe hike before squatting? if all fails, give up squatting for awhile until the pain subsides and then maybe very slowly ease back into and see

sucks frown

I wouldn’t say that I squat heavy - at least not compared to young guys. I will do various sets with anything from 225 through 275. I took a break from squats for several month in hopes that it would help. I am easing in again now. It doesn’t hurt until I hit somewhere between 4 and 7 miles but once it kicks in, every downhill step (and some others) hurts.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

That is what it seems like. I work in an office and sit a lot. Apparently, all the sitting can lead to a weak hip muscle that can cause the knee pain. I have found no confirmation that squats contribute but that has been my experience. I’m attempting to work on the imbalance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Muscle weakness in the hip, hamstrings and glutes can all cause knee pain. Prolonged sitting can weaken all three. Efficient running and doing squats starts with balanced hips. Downhill is harder on the knees than the level.

Don’t know what you mean by not being a young guy, but running form tends to weaken as we get older. With age the knees tend to start going south.

Problem could be related to the hips, or the need to cut back on the running and slowly build up to previous mileage. Or the knees themselves.

I’d start with the hips and cutting back on the running distance, along with having an Ortho take a look at the knees.

Running into middle age and beyond, isn’t for all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Finished up a good week of biking, incline treadmill walks with boots and pack, and some yoga stretching. Hope I can keep up the momentum.

Last day of 2nd archery tomorrow (if weather cooperates) then plan to start shed hunting with pack.

Theeck - check out starting strength squat videos on YouTube.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’m in my 40s. I don’t run much anymore except very occasionally HIIT on a track. I mountain bike quite a bit when the weather is decent.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
“Don’t run much anymore, except very occasionally”, but it hurts after 4-7miles, may be a clue.

Last edited by battue; 01/17/20.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Theeck, do you have pain after doing squats when you don't run?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue
“Don’t run much anymore, except very occasionally”, but it hurts after 4-7miles, may be a clue.

4-7 miles of hiking. I may not have put that in my original post. Sorry

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'd echo the advice to go in and see someone; not just anyone, but someone who specializes in sport medicine

there is a ton of info on the internet for ITBS (it's a common injury among runners-probably hikers too :)), this article suggests a few ways to possibly combat it

ITBS treatment

Page 4 of 67 1 2 3 4 5 6 66 67

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.