#14427167 01/02/20
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks
I make several attempts, when no one else is in sight , to fly fish every year . Mostly because I’m intrigued by the art and there is a natural trout stream with cold water until mid June less than a mile from my house in the PA mountains. Haven’t caught anything yet.
Several years before I retired a friend I worked with gave me a bamboo fly rod . From what I can make out on it I think it say “ Montique “
Has anyone information on this brand . I don’t think it’s a high end rod , but is it worth using ?
Happy New Year to all!
Soup

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that Montague vice Montique? You never know with spell check these days.

Montague made a LOT of mass produced fly rods back in the day when that was the norm. I'm sure some of them fished really well but if you don't have a reel with it (or a modern line!) then I'd suggest hanging it on wall and buying any number of good fly rod/reel combos as a starting point.

What stream is near you? Assuming it's a standard medium sized PA stream something like this Cabelas Orvis combo in the 9' 5 weight selection will serve you very well.

Better yet, see if there is a local fly shop that can set you up with a similarly priced outfit, flies and a little instruction and you'll quickly be ready for a lifetime of satisfaction/fun/learning/frustration/insanity. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/

Here, good forum. You can get all your questions
Answered. .

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Montague, like many other bamboo rod factories a lifetime ago, made some good rods, some decent rods, and a lot of lackadaisical rods. Only one way to find out- have a knowledgeable rod guy look at it and tell you (and probably burst your bubble), or fish it and see if it suits you.

The mark of a good fly rod man is even if he has distinct preferences he can pick up a dead stick and cast a fly line with it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
chances are the rod is a Montague "Rapidan" model, a reasonably priced, serviceable rod made for the hardware store trade. I have one that's a 7 1/2' rod that throws a 3 weight moderately well. Personal preferences are that I had to fish cane rods when I was a kid, a lifetime ago. I didn't like them then and like them even less now.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.