Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I'm in a situation that involves some back wages owed to me, and have been for some months now.

For a period of time I had been being paid at a rate that accounting (boss's wife) "thought" I was to be paid. However, that was not the rate I had been told I would receive and had agreed to work for. My records, as well as their admittance, shows a balance of just over $4000 owed to me.

I have received a substantial raise since that time period, but those back wages have still not been made right.

I had the 3rd conversation concerning this matter with my boss today, and I got the same answer as I did the past 2 times....
Quote; "I dont know, I'll have to talk to "name of wife" about it."

Again, that's the 3rd time I've been told this.

Call me skeptical or just aggravated, but it doesn't seem like this matter is a priority of concern to my boss... and I am feeling a bit blown off by lack of responsibility taken to rectify the matter.

Obviously I'd like to get PAID.
I know all about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar, but my patience (and attitude) is running pretty thin.

That said, I'm wondering if some here might have some suggestions as to "what next."

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Get em together in the same room and ask again.

Is any of this in writing?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Does your state have a wage division within it’s department of labor? This might be the nuclear option if you continue to get stiffed.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Most states have a provision to file a lien. Some type of documentation would be needed. Legal advice is always good.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Talk to them both, at the same time, with any and all documentation you have about it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Talk to them both, at the same time, with any and all documentation you have about it.

This

Then yell

Are you MFer’s gonna pay me or not!!!

Last edited by hanco; 01/02/20.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get em together in the same room and ask again.

Is any of this in writing?

Conversing with both, together, sounds like the answer.

Unfortunately, No. None of it is in writing.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson

This

Then yell

Are you MFer’s gonna pay me or not!!!

Also, Politely mention it is far cheaper to deal directly with you than your lawyer !

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about something like this, "Say boss, my check is wrong. I'm a dumbass for never mentioning it for the last 6 months but I was waiting to see what Jack Ryan said to do."

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Do you like your job??

They seem to like you, they gave you a raise...

Can they afford to write you a check for $4000????

Could you accept the amount owed in installments??

Do you want to hit them up for interest??

Like others have said: ALL 3 parties in the discussion at the same time. Ask when the remittance will start. Offer to take $500 additional per normal check, till balance is paid if you wish... Raise the subject of interest, if you wish.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Definitely talk to them together. Present a copy of the documentation, not the original. Tell them you need to get paid because you have bills to pay, too.

You do have legal options but that doesn't mean you can exercise them without practical impact. They can't legally fire you for it but they might find / create (and document) other reasons, so I'd say think carefully before doing or saying anything provocative unless you have already found another job. I've even seen that done by state / federal agencies (not over back-pay, but over other things) and in the private sector you're at least as vulnerable.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by muffin
Do you like your job??

Like others have said: ALL 3 parties in the discussion at the same time. Ask when the remittance will start. Offer to take $500 additional per normal check, till balance is paid if you wish... Raise the subject of interest, if you wish.....

I tend to use more than enough gun
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you like your job and wage, be delicate but firm about it. 4K is a lot but not enough to burn bridges over and be looking for a new job if that can be avoided.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the local market your skills are a hot item and I suspect you could start Monday for more than a few different employers.

All three of you in the same room at the same time is exactly right, IMO. Lots of property owners and managers are still waiting to get earthquake repairs done...Seems foolish for them to act that way now. Be direct but not aggressive and they should come around pretty quickly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This would a good way to start, harsher measures if this fail. I've never been stiffed, but then nobody wanted to see how far I'd go to collect!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by waterrat
This would a good way to start, harsher measures if this fail. I've never been stiffed, but then nobody wanted to see how far I'd go to collect!

I laugh just trying to wrap my head around the idea of someone seeing you coming with bad intent...

Laughing!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by muffin
Do you like your job??

Yes, I like my job, I like my boss, and I would like to see this resolved.

The tough part is, I believe it was a simple miscommunication that went unnoticed for too long and now I "feel" awkwardly uncomfortable, like I'm the "bad guy" rocking the boat for pressing the matter.... but in reality I know I'm not out of order and further more that I'll not receive those wages unless I press for them.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Be direct but not aggressive and they should come around pretty quickly.

Yes.

I probably needed to hear that Art.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
If you like your job and wage, be delicate but firm about it. 4K is a lot but not enough to burn bridges over and be looking for a new job if that can be avoided.

Bingo

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The substantial raise is/was likely intended by wife to cover the initial shortage. Now, you asking for the back pay, cuts into her plan for giving you a bigger raise than they normally would have.

Pitting him vs wife is not good, therefore you need to speak to both at the same time.

FWIW

I have been in your exact situation before. It was a big annoyance. I let the guy pay me in installments after getting a decent raise. He never finished the installments, and they too became late and some shorter.

I knew he had $$$ problems and home problems, and he needed the $ more than I did, so honestly I let it go.

He was a very deeply troubled, but also a very very good man. I am sure we all know someone like him.

He lost his business (no surprise) then his house, and family, and then his life. I think he was 50.

I hope yours works out better. Just made me think of Dennis.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.