#14427167 01/02/20
S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks
I make several attempts, when no one else is in sight , to fly fish every year . Mostly because I’m intrigued by the art and there is a natural trout stream with cold water until mid June less than a mile from my house in the PA mountains. Haven’t caught anything yet.
Several years before I retired a friend I worked with gave me a bamboo fly rod . From what I can make out on it I think it say “ Montique “
Has anyone information on this brand . I don’t think it’s a high end rod , but is it worth using ?
Happy New Year to all!
Soup

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that Montague vice Montique? You never know with spell check these days.

Montague made a LOT of mass produced fly rods back in the day when that was the norm. I'm sure some of them fished really well but if you don't have a reel with it (or a modern line!) then I'd suggest hanging it on wall and buying any number of good fly rod/reel combos as a starting point.

What stream is near you? Assuming it's a standard medium sized PA stream something like this Cabelas Orvis combo in the 9' 5 weight selection will serve you very well.

Better yet, see if there is a local fly shop that can set you up with a similarly priced outfit, flies and a little instruction and you'll quickly be ready for a lifetime of satisfaction/fun/learning/frustration/insanity. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/

Here, good forum. You can get all your questions
Answered. .

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Montague, like many other bamboo rod factories a lifetime ago, made some good rods, some decent rods, and a lot of lackadaisical rods. Only one way to find out- have a knowledgeable rod guy look at it and tell you (and probably burst your bubble), or fish it and see if it suits you.

The mark of a good fly rod man is even if he has distinct preferences he can pick up a dead stick and cast a fly line with it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
chances are the rod is a Montague "Rapidan" model, a reasonably priced, serviceable rod made for the hardware store trade. I have one that's a 7 1/2' rod that throws a 3 weight moderately well. Personal preferences are that I had to fish cane rods when I was a kid, a lifetime ago. I didn't like them then and like them even less now.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 14 invisible), 1,520 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,224
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.