Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is this why China became more compliant in trade talks? Yet domestic frozen pork belly inventory is at record highs. Thanks Mr. Trump for saving our bacon.

One-Quarter of World's Pigs Died In a Year Due To Swine Fever In China

An anonymous reader quotes a report from The New York Times:

The [African swine fever disease] was first reported in Shenyang, Liaoning Province, in early August 2018. By the end of August 2019, the entire pig population of China had dropped by about 40 percent. China accounted for more than half of the global pig population in 2018, and the epidemic there alone has killed nearly one-quarter of all the world's pigs. By late September, the disease had cost economic losses of one trillion yuan (about $141 billion), according to Li Defa, dean of the College of Animal Science and Technology at China Agricultural University in Beijing. Qiu Huaji, a leading Chinese expert on porcine infectious diseases, has said that African swine fever has been no less devastating "than a war" -- in terms of "its effects on the national interest and people's livelihoods and its political, economic and social impact."

slashdot

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just took a drive through Iowa and was amazed at how many hog operations we saw per square mile... Iowa can handle the load! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dont worry, there's plenty of wild ones in Montana and No Dak.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Our hog operations are subject to the same threats as the rest of the world.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
it's a Muslim plot!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Beaglemaster
Our hog operations are subject to the same threats as the rest of the world.

This! Virtually all of our hog operation are high density farms. If that virus gets loose here it will cause massive losses.

I have about 60 pounds of bellies for making bacon in the freezer now. Not because of the viral threat, but because high quality bellies are hard enough to come by that it just makes sense to by them by the case when the opportunity arises. I just cut them into brining size pieces and vacuum pack them so that I always have bacon when I need more.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You know that if enough people start hoarding anything, that creates the shortage the hoarders were trying to prevent?

It happened with .22LR ammo, it happened with primers, it happened with coffee, and now you want to make it happen with bacon.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We have plenty hogs at our deer lease.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Grow your own.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by WTF
Dont worry, there's plenty of wild ones in Montana and No Dak.

Here too, I shot five of the bassturds late last Winter into early Spring right here from the back porch off Wifes picnic table. cool all five black Russians.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The anti-vac and organic crowds will be trying to prevent vaccinating our pigs to keep everyone healthy.

Is there a vaccine for African swine fever?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
There is :Turkey Bacon".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon
There is :Turkey Bacon".
Yummy. Not.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Turkey "Ham", is something I have not seen for some time.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
You know that if enough people start hoarding anything, that creates the shortage the hoarders were trying to prevent?

It happened with .22LR ammo, it happened with primers, it happened with coffee, and now you want to make it happen with bacon.

Not a consideration for me. Finding the quality of bellies that I want is difficult at best no mater when. My competition remains the same year round. It's the high end smoked meat stores that smoke their own. If you want that raw material you have to do what they do and buy it by the case. Like with the .22 ammo, there was no shortage of Eley Tenex.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
To the absolute delight of those selling the product.

Color added.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
US hog farms are run to prevent disease and disease spread. I doubt the African swing flu could spread here like it does in China and the third world. The Chinese pig farms will have to adopt the US and European ways of farming. All the little mom and pop farms will go away due to the disease. It will take some time for the Chinese to adapt but they’re smart enough to get it done and done pretty quickly. The rest of the third world will suffer terribly and not recover anytime soon.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
US hog farms are run to prevent disease and disease spread. I doubt the African swing flu could spread here like it does in China and the third world. The Chinese pig farms will have to adopt the US and European ways of farming. All the little mom and pop farms will go away due to the disease. It will take some time for the Chinese to adapt but they’re smart enough to get it done and done pretty quickly. The rest of the third world will suffer terribly and not recover anytime soon.

Haha!

The big packers here would love it.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
S

Instant pork products price gouging if that happens.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk

Instant pork products price gouging if that happens.

Again, to the absolute delight of those selling the product.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
796 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 79 invisible), 3,183 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,171
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.