Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
Hondo, damn the work anyway, hate it when that gets in the way of having fun here. smile leaning really hard towards the standard Swede, trajectory is math and easily repeatable most of the time, the improved version giving a few clicks less wind wont, to me, outweigh maybe one third or more barrel life over the standard.

DF, one thing I'm really looking forward too, there may be a new powder not yet tried that could bring some magic, always part of the fun of exploration, and hell yes on the Lapua Swede brass, tough as a damn boot heel it is, i'll be pressuring up all I can get while still maintain accuracy.

Beretzs, thanks for those powder hits, the right one may lie right there in that lineup, 142 LRAB's should hold their integrity, especially at Swede speeds, the 147 Horns are yet to be tested, another possibility is a Barnes LRX of some persuasion, they damn sure wont fly apart due to centrifugal force. grin

I need my ass kicked for not grabbing that Benchmark 6.5, stainless, 8 twist, fluted barrel in the classifieds a couple days ago!

Gunner, don't neglect the 139 Scenar. My Swede (Shilen/98 Mauser) really loves that bullet and also the 155 Mega. With Lapua brass, I think this rifle is becoming a Lapua snob... blush

And you know how many critters Scenarshooter (Pat) has killed with that bullet. It's very accurate, has great terminal performance. It has a thin jacket like a VLD, but holds together better. The lead alloy must be harder (just guessing).

Bottom like, it works.

DF

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DF, yes Sir, it's all going to be easier all the way around going standard, I don't expect i'll be disappointed, thanks for the tip on the Scenars too, I was not aware Pat used the 6.5 139's on game, just the 30 cal 155's, i'll give em a look and run some programs on them.

Beretzs, dang big buddy, 2900 with a 140 is smoking, a man may near an even 3K with 27-28 inches of barrel, that's a fine length for back porch picnic table pig and coyote smoking. cool

Hondo, you bet, will send dummy rounds off for build, do you think throating for a coal of 3.000 inch would be good? damn plenty of bullet shank to chase throat erosion as well as generous mag box length for the chasing, truth be told, and so many guns to shoot, I may never need to do that.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Hondo, you bet, will send dummy rounds off for build, do you think throating for a coal of 3.000 inch would be good? damn plenty of bullet shank to chase throat erosion as well as generous mag box length for the chasing, truth be told, and so many guns to shoot, I may never need to do that.

I would pick a few bullets you are going to focus on and seat those bullets where the heal of the bullet is just a hair above the neck/shoulder junction. Current wisdom says you want to stay above the neck/shoulder junction because that’s where a donut may form, particularly if using bushing dies. That being said, due to magazine constraints, I’ve shot rounds seated well into the case for years without seeing the ill effects of my ignorance. However, if the magazine length allows it, avoiding the donut area is probably a good idea. Based on Josh’s pics and measurements, your 3.4” box will allow you to do that, no problem.

Use the dummy that has the shortest cartridge base-to-ogive measurement. That will allow you to reach the lands with any of the other bullets too. Tell your smith to throat so that your dummy kisses the lands. That should allow you to chase the lands for a bit, since the Swede has a fairly long neck.

I have come across ‘smiths that don’t do throating separately. If hard set on using that ‘smith, that would require a custom reamer, or possibly one of the reamer manufacturers would have a design very close to your specs. I know of at least one reamer manufacture that will make a reamer based on the dummy you send them. I would be surprised if most of them wouldn’t do that.

Is it necessary to be able to kiss the lands? Maybe not, but some bullets give their best accuracy that way, so no point in taking that option off the table. If your bullet prefers some jump, you can always seat deeper.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Good stuff, Thanks again Hondo, this is going to be one hell of a fun rifle, no recoil, not much noise, heck, I may be able to teach little Wife to hog/coyote hunt with this one while I'm gone. grin

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good stuff, Thanks again Hondo, this is going to be one hell of a fun rifle, no recoil, not much noise, heck, I may be able to teach little Wife to hog/coyote hunt with this one while I'm gone. grin

Careful, that girl may out shoot you...

Can't have a fragile ego when you teach the ladies to shoot.

DF

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, you're exactly right DF, I had a blast working with her teaching her to shoot handgun, she picked it up fast, after a bit of instruction I told her whatever I do, YOU do not take your eyes off that box, empty that pistol into the box REGARDLESS! headphones on and the pistol started popping, she feigned away a bit at me hollering in her face, swinging arms all around, jumping up and down, but never once took her eyes off the boxcool, at conclusion when I was down picking up brass she said, WOW, I felt the pistol, the blast and you screaming at me was vibrating the whole side of my body, what a RUSH!!!!......working with girls is just cool man, plus, I've always been to dimwitted to be fragile. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Alright, goodies ordered. smile

31" Krieger #15 7.5 twist, standard 4 groove, .820" muzzle, stainless barrel on the way to Smith, he'll cut some really nice right hand helical flutes, and finish barrel at 28 inches.

140gr Nosler RDF's
147gr Horn ELD's
150gr Matchkings as well as a steel 20 minute NF rail on the way to me, Smith said i'll be having fun in no time. smile

I went with the 7.5 over the 8 twist in case some genius comes up with a longer bullet in 6.5/264.

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
How’s he gonna throat it? Freebore length?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir Hondo, i'll make up dummy rounds when my order gets here and send em on up.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We talked about throating, says he can add freebore if needed, will know more when he measures the dummys, also told him I wanted to be able to chase the throat with the 3.4 mag box length, he said No Problem.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm prolly going to build a 6.8 PRC sometime in the next year!

Hoping they'll start making more fast twist bullets besides just the Berger, but I'll live with that one if need be.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Hoping they'll start making more fast twist bullets besides just the Berger, but I'll live with that one if need be.

Mike

6.8 on the 6.5 or 300 PRC case?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have a blast with it ROTR, what ever it may turn out to be, cant remember, but someone is making a long .277" missile besides Berger.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joshf303

Mike

Thinking .300 so I can neck down to crush fit in chamber and control headspace.

It's on the list, I have another rifle in parts I have to get put together a Remage, and I've got one just back from JKOB that I need to get into a stock...so It's on a backburner....I found out about a fairly close PRS match and I'm within 2 hrs of the CMP range in Talladega so should be able to stretch it a little.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a blast with it ROTR, what ever it may turn out to be, cant remember, but someone is making a long .277" missile besides Berger.

There used to be some custom makers I don't remember if it was MATRIX or something for the .300 Ultra-Mag necked down to .277

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 01/10/20. Reason: correct name of bullet maker

NRA Endowment Member

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by joshf303

Mike

Thinking .300 so I can neck down to crush fit in chamber and control headspace.

It's on the list, I have another rifle in parts I have to get put together a Remage, and I've got one just back from JKOB that I need to get into a stock...so It's on a backburner....I found out about a fairly close PRS match and I'm within 2 hrs of the CMP range in Talladega so should be able to stretch it a little.

Mike

Just thinking off the top of my head.... but I think you’ll be well over the maximum FPS they usually allow on steel targets.

And I don’t think I’d be wanting to shoot a 6.8/300 PRC in much positional shooting. YMMV though...

Sounds like a cool project anyhow.

Last edited by joshf303; 01/10/20.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We talked about throating, says he can add freebore if needed, will know more when he measures the dummys, also told him I wanted to be able to chase the throat with the 3.4 mag box length, he said No Problem.

ADDING freebore is making the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I’d be worried about it being TOO LONG.

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Less is so very often,wayyyyyyyy more. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Recently peeled a rather fantastic 6.5-06 spout,to make room for a .284"-06 spout. Why? Bullets are wayyyyyyyy more important than headstamps,Trajectory is Physics and wind is Voodoo. Hint.

Very easy to squirt a .796 BC crowding 2800fps,arrange a Smooch and leave plenty of room in da' 'box. Good brass is easily scored(Lapooey),false shoulders ALWAYS arrange finite/precise headspace control,recoil is rather modest and the belly holds plenty of pokes(5). Hint.

Marty's 45 Mo-Mo 1913 rail,pinned in place electrically,one of them there '12x LRTSi's,Matt's S/S bottom,a HEAVY filled MacaMillion,throated to my particulars in a MTU Bart' 8.5" RPM and (1) Brass Monkey. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Headspace in FULL control,with countless Virgins. Hint.

Miles remaining in da' 'box with a Smooch and by literal design. Hint.

First (3) and only pokes on hunnert yard paper,in my typical "beautiful" weather. Hint.(grin)

EASY way to arrange a Pile Driving Ass,grant copious barrel life,VERY modest recoil and simply SINISTER wind slipping abilities,less ever having to trim a case. Hint.

Startin' velocity,ain't arrivin' velocity and I'm routinely impressed by how many overlook that constant,while forgetting ALL about the wind. Hint.

Good Talk.(grin)

Laughing!.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stick---Who's Matt I like the looks of that Bottom Metal?

Josh---I know less than nothing about PRS I just want to shoot farther than a couple hundred yards and I'm range limited! So will have to figure that out.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Matt Williams. He and his Pops,both made good stuff,whether paired or doing their own thing.

Much prefer it,to say a Marty steel M4,as Matt's schit locks up like a fhuqking bank vault. Hint.

Holster your 6.8 Notions,reel yourself in and grab a Vudoo 22LR. BEST equipment move you'll ever make.

Keep schit FUN,keep schit simple and keeo schit real. The Vudoo has no equal.

Thank me later.

Hint.....................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 12308300, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,580
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.