[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of good info appeared over the past few days thanks to Greydog, Gnoahhh, etc (I am being lazy and don't want to page back for names mid post).

I was assuming for load development any FL resizing and priming would be done at home.
Figured that w/ set of QCd cases one could then select/adjust powder, seating depth and even projectile based upon observed results.
One could even get bunch of those little glass vials that laboratories use to hold pre measured powder charges.
But I suppose what you need depends on what you have available to you for a range, and who else uses it.

Thanks for sharing all this great info.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Tejano

Forrester makes a distinction between Body dies and Bump dies. The Body die sizes everything but the neck and a Bump die only the shoulder and immediate juncture of shoulder and body. Not sure if other makers use the same terminology.

Forster's bump only die is the their bushing die, correct?

Correct the above is in regard to Redding dies not Forster.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Tejano
Body dies are nice but for a hunting rifle a standard FL die used just to bump the shoulder works pretty well, remove the expander and it is less likely to add much run out. You can run it through the collet die afterwards and it will be as concentric as that particular brass will allow.

You're not going to be able to use a collet die on the case if it's been ran through a FL die with the expander removed, the neck will be too small to accept the collet die mandrel. You can expand the neck with a separate expander mandrel then use the collet die, but that sounds like a lot of work.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Crow hunter,

Exactly--and also a lot more working of the neck.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I Am a late comer to this post, so I may have missed mention of this in the previous post, but why wouldn’t a Redding “Form & Trim” die not work as well for bumping the shoulder back?
As I understand it, the Form & Trim die sizes to outside SAAMI chamber specs. If this is true, then it wouldn’t affect the neck at all.
Comments?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Crow hunter,

Exactly--and also a lot more working of the neck.

Yep, and overworking the neck needlessly is a great way to introduce more runout to the end product even when useing a Lee collet neck die.

I would go with your idea of finding a local machine shop and see what they would charge to open up the neck of an existing die; or I would order a 9X57 full length die and pull the expander ball out as you also mentioned.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by brydan
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I’ve never sized with an arbor press. Why do that when there’s a Big Boss II Redding and Rockchucker on my bench

An arbor press is easier for loading at the range than a large bench mounted press.

I use a Lee hand press for loading at the range. It has more leverage than an arbor press. Works well.

DF

I use the Lee hand press at the range as well and its a wonderful tool. In fact I liked mine so much I bought one for my younger brother as a gift and he loves his as well

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The form and trim die will usually work well depending on the dimensions. Most are meant to be used with a full length sizer so they do not size down to minimum dimensions. They do size the neck some but less than a FL die does. Redding are minimal sizing, RCBS FL size but less than their regular FL sizer.

When I use the FL sizer I do what used to be called partial sizing. But most of my dies have honed neck sizer portions. On my Lee Collet die mandrels I polish them down slightly and reduce the angled portion so it is more like an expand-er die. After this they will neck size a FL sized case. I only use the FL sizer on the 3-5th loading so cases get re-sized only 4-6 times depending on how long I keep the brass. I have not gotten donuts or split necks if I anneal at least as often as I FL size at every 3rd-5th loading. This works for me until I get a body die or a custom die for that rifle.

Last edited by Tejano; 01/03/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 12 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,570
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.