Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I assure everyone that I won’t be taking this dog to some competition. As for buying pure bloodline, it’s a silver lab it was gifted to us by her parents. The dogs parents apparently have superb bloodline traits. I’m not a snob so I guess it’s lighter color won’t bother me like it does a “purest”. I really just wanted to get peoples take on how they trained their dogs which I appreciate all the info that’s been shared. As far as a retriever club goes, it sounds interesting but if it’s something that cost much money I don’t think I’ll be interested at this time. I know that this will be a learning experience for all 3 of us. Can’t wait!

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are missing the line. Bloodlines have nothing to do with any being a purist or a snob. It is about the Dogs ability to smell and it’s hunting drive. They all are not created equal and some are born to it. How many great athletes are offspring of athletic parents? Proven hunting lines tend to throw hunters. They are born with it, and it is something the best trainer can’t give them.

Best of luck.

Last edited by battue; 12/23/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I assure everyone that I won’t be taking this dog to some competition. As for buying pure bloodline, it’s a silver lab it was gifted to us by her parents. The dogs parents apparently have superb bloodline traits. I’m not a snob so I guess it’s lighter color won’t bother me like it does a “purest”. I really just wanted to get peoples take on how they trained their dogs which I appreciate all the info that’s been shared. As far as a retriever club goes, it sounds interesting but if it’s something that cost much money I don’t think I’ll be interested at this time. I know that this will be a learning experience for all 3 of us. Can’t wait!

Train it to be under control but still happy and have fun together. Better a happy hunting friend than a sad automaton, IMO. Retrieving can be fun play that pays off in the field or blind.

I know from a lifetime of good and mediocre dogs that a happy dog is more fun. If training to a razor edge is someone's thing, well, that's their thing. We once did that with dozens and dozens of dogs back in the day and did it without e-collars, just check ropes. As a kid I had to help with the training. I wasn't even allowed to play with the dogs in the big back yard.

Anymore, mine get some basics to keep them safe and are allowed to be dogs. I started training at a very early age.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MY GOD!!!

Such abuse...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by luv2safari
MY GOD!!!

Such abuse.

I thought the same!

Budweiser! Ugh! eek grin

John

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
We just took “Oakley” on her first bird hunt this past weekend. Pictures to follow.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 3,072 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.