Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You try to fix the problem yourself or do you call the plumber?

BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Hard to imagine how that could happen.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Knew a guy that contracted his own build, did lots of the work himself.........
house had two water heaters............. not unusual... BUT

One water heater did nothing but produce hot water for ONE toilet..............

A plumber he were'nt.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’ve seen people set up a system that bleeds a small amount of hot water into the line that fills the toilet tank to keep it up to room temperature or thereabouts. The idea is to prevent condensation on the outside of the tank.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
shower mixing valve fail?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
I’ve seen people set up a system that bleeds a small amount of hot water into the line that fills the toilet tank to keep it up to room temperature or thereabouts. The idea is to prevent condensation on the outside of the tank.

Mine's set up that way.

When you sit on the throne and it feels like a jacuzzi, water's getting by your flapper.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Humidity that high is a non-issue here. This morning it's 67%. In the summer it's usually below 20%. The water comes out of our well at about 58F year round. That's not too far below room temp.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

They do that sometimes on Cape Cod. They run a hot water line to the toilet because it's so humid in the Summer time that the toilet tank constantly sweats and rots the subfloor. If you run hot water to it,this won't happen.

If you're getting hot water in your toilet and it's not supposed to be there, I'd call a plumber.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe a likely scenario is that either the toilet flapper is not functioning properly or you have a bad fill valve. Of course if you use the 3 sea shells properly this would not happen maybe.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 01/03/20.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

One of 2 things is happening...

1). You or someone else reversed the lines (cold and hot run to the sink next to the toilet or shower... you tapped the wrong one).

2). OR if you are flushing “WHILE” a sink or shower is running the anti-scold mechanism in it is allowing the pressure from the lines to mix (hot goes into cold and then feeds back to the toilet.
IF you only get hot water in the toilet while a sink or shower is running then it’s #2.

I had a tenant “replumb” his bathroom in the basement... he was OK with the hot and cold tap’s reversing themselves but not so much the “ball sauna” that happened after a kid took a bath and he proceeded to use the toilet...

I.e. - when a toilet flushes that tube on the top of the filler value puts fresh water into the bowl to refill the trap and bottom of the toilet - that’s how the hot water ends up in the toilet vs. going through the tank and cooling...

Hehehehe.... that was a fun phone call... Hey can you help me out.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doubles as a slow cooker.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Yes, I would fix it myself.

Home plumbing and electrical are pretty simple disciplines, as far as repair goes.

Initial installation and meeting all of the constantly changing codes is a different matter.

But as long as the installation was proper to begin with, troubleshooting and repair is pretty simple for anyone with an IQ above ambient temperature. Just remember, water and electricity follow the path of least resistance. And remember to turn off either at the source before getting into the conduit, because you do not want either of them leaking out where they do not belong.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeoW
Doubles as a slow cooker.

Sous-vide

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
You try to fix the problem yourself or do you call the plumber?

One of the mixers are messed up. Cold and hot water are mixed to produce desired temp water.

Prob the shower/sink near the toilet.

[Linked Image from ]
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Have you recently installed a hose on a 2- handled/valved faucet and left the valves on the faucet open/on and only using the valve on your hose for control? That is the number one condition we use to see when I was involved with commercial plumbing company. All faucets on modern fixtures have check valves internal to the valve to prevent this but some of the older faucets you may find on a service sink that may be in a garage or basement may have an older faucet that does not have this protection. When you put a hose on it and leave the valves open, only using the spray valve for control you have basically connected you hot and cold water lines together.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Place I worked at had a dedicated tooling checking and storage building about 75 - 100 yds from the main factory with a asphalt paved road to it for all season access. It was maned 24/7 so it had a small lavatory with just a sink, commode and a small water heater, a refrigerated water fountain and the whole building was heat via steam. The plumbing for both the cold water feed line and steam ran under the asphalt from the main building. Apparently the heat build up from the sun on the asphalt over that distance and/or the steam and water line were buried too close together caused the cold water feed to get really hot in the lavatory. So hot that you would shortly be sweating streams just from the heat put off from the water in the toilet. You learned real quick not to flush while still sitting on the commode, too.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
So. Idaho has quite a few hot springs and a bunch have been developed into commercial swimming pools. Some I've been to have used the hot water for toilets and restroom heating. It can get pretty steamy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We were the first tenants in a new town house decades ago. Yup, the idiots not only reversed the H/C lines but left a pinhole in one line under the sink. First flush and I got "steam cleaned" then the next morning the galley kitchen was at high tide. We moved out the day after we moved in.

They also spray painted the louvered closet doors leaning them up against the bedroom wall. Louver lines and overspray on the walls. Shoddiest construction work I'd ever seen.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tempering valve failure, most of our toilets up here have them to prevent condensation on the toilet have replaced several.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bad toilet flapper. Replaced works fine now. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,162 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.