Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Howdy gents,,

I have a batch of lapua in 22-250,, fresh, prepping some loads for a new toy I got, The fed primers are extremely hard to install overall not just the seating
portion, feels like I may break the old lee auto prime,, had it 25 years,, never seen such a condition,,,
I went w. fed as lots of guys here spoke highly of em,,, I have other brands in the cabinet,, any suggestions , I have 1000 feds,, dammit

Thank ya,ll

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Primer pocket uniformer? Maybe the pockets are tight.
I run the 210GM on all my LR loads. They are more firm seating, but not excessively tight

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I run lotsa same brass and same primer for a perfect seating but don't use auto prime as my Co-Ax
does perfect seating but slower.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Problem is not the Fed 210’s it’s the Lapua brass, Lapua is famous for tight primer pockets.
You might want to try a different priming tool to save your old Lee auto prime. I use a K&M for some and an RCBS hand priming tool for others.
After 3 or 4 firings the pockets will loosen up a bit

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KenMi
Primer pocket uniformer?

Primer pocket uniformer is for depth not width

IC B2

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Had the same thing happen with Hornady brass in 6.5 Creedmore. Switched to Rem 9 1/2 and no more problem.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks ya,ll
I will maybe use the one on my Rockchucker- 25 years an I have never ever used that little arm,,,,,, almost took it off a time or two,,,

good shoot n to ya,s

There's never enough time to do it right ,but there's always enough time to do, it over....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've had same problem trying different primers over the years. Since you have 1000 of them, one little trick to try that won't cost you a thing.
Take a lead pencil and run it around the primer pocket a couple times, that helps primer to go in easier.Don't remember where I read that years ago,but it works. I've had brass I had to do that to for the first 2-3 times loaded. Hope this helps

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
DW,, wow, now thats a genius idea- bet it works great,,
shot it today, hell it even likes cheap fed. anmmo,,, little cloverleaf @ 100 yeah,,,,

Thanks man,

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That is a good idea, DW. I have some Nosler 7x57 brass I've almost pulled the rim off trying to seat them.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Sinclair carbide uniformers correct diameter and depth

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yea it works pretty good.Wish I could remember where I read it to give credit where due.
Sounds like you may have a keeper there!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't have those kinda issues since I got one of those Dillion pocket swager things from Hanco ( forum member down Texas way)...

I also use a hand primer for anything I put a primer in....ain't going to break something using one of those..
and if by chance I do, its an easy cheap repair with a replacement part...
Originally Posted by K22
Had the same thing happen with Hornady brass in 6.5 Creedmore. Switched to Rem 9 1/2 and no more problem.

back when I was less experienced at the reload bench... and was self taught... ( lot of screw ups, but pain is the worlds best teacher),,,, I had issue with Federal 223 brass ( range pick up as always).. but Winchester primers seemed to have the softest sides, so they would go in easier with the hand primer than any other primers to include Remington...

I need to try me some Lapua 22.250 brass.. and see if they are as tough as ya hear claimed...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
man they are tough,,I like em,, my 223 lapua did not pose this issue whatsoever,,,,, I ,m going to "lube em" with pencil lead,,, etc,,
can we even get the correct parts for an original lee auto prime? seems like reviews said parts didnt fit right???
RC

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
well, I tried the pencil trick, no real difference, tried winchester primes, slightly easier, just got the new lee hand prime tool- not as nice as the old stuff but it gets emm in there,,,,why do they always quit mak ,n the good stuff,,,??? like a 69 Camaro,,,lol

Peace ,,,

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did you try to use a neck chamfering bit to camfer the sides of the primer pocket, to see if that would help them slip down into there?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Seafire,
I did not,, but,,, I dang sure will,, Lapua has that obvious little ring right there- great idea,

RC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
RC,

just don't get overzealous.. do a light camfer to start and work on one case until you get something that will work...

A Dillion Pocket Swager unit sure eliminates that problem... I got one used on line here.. and I love it...

one of the most useful tools on the reload bench... as I load a lot of 223, a lot of it which is range brass...

I've picked up a little over 500 pieces of brass just in the past week....in 3 trips to the range.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Thanks SF,,
I,m a range "pack rat " too, hell I pick up stuff I don,t even have,,,"yet" I will try this next load,,

I do the 223 myself as well- its just too easy,,, little powder ,no kick,,, not at all like the 7mm an the 257 Roy,,,,,sure used to really love those,,, big boom,

RC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can have my share of "range brass". Some months ago, a guy wandered over to show us a separated case that had blown up his AR upper. After he left, a couple of other guys remarked that he picked up every case he saw.

I pick up a few for setting up dies and trimmers, and making dummies, but never for loading.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,678
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.