Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I like the gun bearer because I can have both hands free in rough terrain or fishing with the gun immediately accessible for brown bears or deer that need shot. I keep tabs on the gun and release tab constantly, maybe because the gun is in there for a reason, not just to lazily get it out of my way.

BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 175rltw
I hunted one day with a guy who used the gun bearer and after that I always made / make excuses why I’m unavailable. I don’t like thinking about other guys rifle all day, and slings in general and the GB in particular just sort of always make me wonder how much attention the other guy is paying. Occupies too much of my mind. Takes me out of the hunt

Are you saying you're a "hand on the rifle" all day kind of guy? I guess I can see that mindset from some, but I am having trouble reading into what you posted. General question with no offense intended.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a couple MR packs, Pop Up 18 and Scree. The more I use them the less I like them. I used the Scree a lot last summer day hiking, fishing, setting up trail cams, stuff like that. It pushes "funny" on my back and though comfortable initially, I'm pretty sore at day's end with it. It was a replacement for the previous year's Kelty Red Wing 32. It will go on the burn pile as the Kelty did and be replaced by a Recon from The North Face. I lugged the Pop Up 18 around through 2 deer seasons and 1 elk season. It doesn't have enough organization or volume, couldn't lug my sacks in it and have any room for anything else. It rides somehow off center / pushes harder on one side of my back than the other. It's not a win, not a long term solution, but I don't really have a viable replacement yet. The 28 would likely be a better choice but since both MR packs fit sort of off-center / "hinky", I don't see investing in another, it's time for some other brand. I'm pondering a return to a Badlands 2200, a pack I abandoned several years ago. So far the successors have been downgrades.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
TOM have you looked in a MR with the new frame and/ or Stone glacier packs?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by 175rltw
I hunted one day with a guy who used the gun bearer and after that I always made / make excuses why I’m unavailable. I don’t like thinking about other guys rifle all day, and slings in general and the GB in particular just sort of always make me wonder how much attention the other guy is paying. Occupies too much of my mind. Takes me out of the hunt

Are you saying you're a "hand on the rifle" all day kind of guy? I guess I can see that mindset from some, but I am having trouble reading into what you posted. General question with no offense intended.

I'm guessing he is referring to the barrel position of a rifle carried in a gun bearer. I could see it making someone nervous to walk in front of the person wearing a gun bearer while treking up a steep hillside. Maybe while the person behind bends over on flat ground as well? Aside from that, the barrel position is always a known and is controlled...at least in the manner I use it. If for some reason there was a discharge the bullet path should be up and safe....the muzzle blast for the carrier could be an issue. My chamber's usually empty when I'm using it...and it's very rare for me to hunt with someone else so it's not something I give much consideration.

Example pic that's very close to the way I carry with it...muzzle blast from an AD could be hard to handle but bullet path should be safe:

[Linked Image from cdn.nexternal.com]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am pretty new to this pack stuff, and find this accessory intriguing. It seems like a good way to carry a rifle, any one try one?

https://www.mysteryranch.com/quick-draw-rifle-sling

I think MR is trying to make something like this:
http://gunslingercorral.com/

Quando omni flunkus moritati
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Both of those products look like a fail compared to the Kifaru Gunbearer. Extra junk and attachments in order to be slower getting the rifle into action. No thanks.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The Stone Glacier gun sling hands Kifaru it’s rear end with both hands.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

In what way?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It keeps the rifle clear of your movements, holds it extremely securely (no wobble), and is as easily accessible. The SG sling allows use like it isn’t there where the Kifaru GB is like an annoying monkey in the way all the time. I’ve used them both. A bunch.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by iddave
I am pretty new to this pack stuff, and find this accessory intriguing. It seems like a good way to carry a rifle, any one try one?

https://www.mysteryranch.com/quick-draw-rifle-sling

Can’t speak to that one, but the Kifaru version is AWESOME. The “generic” model works great with any pack fwtw.

Dave

Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And it's only around $20.

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, confused Kifaru with Kuiu. The Kuiu Quick Draw has the rifle riding behind the shoulder,(out of the way, and both hands free!), very safe and securely, yet it deploys extremely fast. Again, just 20 bucks. Depending on your pack, a pair of their Venture hip belts straps may be required at 9 bucks/pr. All in, $29.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/01/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed.

Originally Posted by pathfinder76

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks for all the replies Have been in touch with MR. The cabinet is currently unavailable and will be dropped for 2020. After reading a bunch of opinions on numerous hunting sites, it seems to be an unpopular choice(for most) when compared with other packs anyway. The Mule will only be available in2020 as a "bag only" option. The Sawtooth will be available in Optifade for 2020 and the Pintler will still be in the lineup. All will be on the upgraded Guide Lite MT frame. Looks like it will be either a sawtooth or Pintler for me, leaning toward the Pintler. May pick up a Mule bag later. New packs should show up on the MR website at the end of next week.

Happy New Year to all.

Thanks again.

Frank

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Stuck between the Pintler and the Sawtooth. Anyone have experience with both and a recommendation for 95% day hunts?

Thanks.

Frank

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Sawtooth will be my next pack.

I used a Pop Up 28 all this past season and its a very versatile and useful day pack/hauler. I'm extremely pleased with it. It's not going anywhere. I'm keeping it. I would have zero reservations recommending it for 95% day hunts. That's its niche.

However, I want something just a bit bigger that will allow me to stay out 2 or even 3 days.The Sawtooth looks to be about the right size for my needs, plus it has that fantastic access with the 270* U zipper.

The Pintler is a well proven pack and the Sawtooth has been getting good reviews. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see Black Ovis is having a pretty good sale on MR packs right now. Some are a $100 or more off regular price.

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have had a Pintler for 2 yrs. Packed a whole boned out deer plus my gear 6 miles this fall, and used on a number of other hunts up to 4 days out. Have also used the crew cab and NICE frame, older kifaru, and a kuiu icon 1850 a bunch. Pintler is a good pack. I like the kuiu belt a little better, like the mr for converting to haul meat better than the kuiu. Sawtooth looks great, and I think the newer frame has a couple of improvements worth looking at- buckles that make prepping to haul meat(or a dry bag with camp gear) easier and better belt.

I did top my pintler with a lid that doubles as a lumbar pack and provides a bit more space...

F
fshaw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Ordered the Sawtooth in Optifade.

Thanks for the input.

Frank

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can ALWAYS make a big pack small with compression straps but you cannot make a small pack big. Don't screw around with small packs on a serious frame. Get a big bag if you think you'll ever need one.

Over the past 4 decades having carried packs from old Kelty exterior aluminum frame packs to Gregory internal frame packs to the original Dana Design packs to Kifaru packs to the new Mystery Ranch packs they all have features that should be individually evaluated by the end consumer. But for my money I like the way Mystery Ranch packs carry better than any others.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice moose John.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
839 members (12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 3,253 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,269
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.