Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Here is my $0.02.

1.) LH or RH rifle doesn't really matter in a bolt action. A kid that age is not going to be making quick follow up shots. My daughter is LH and uses a RH rifle for now. When she is older, I may buy her a LH rifle if she continues to love hunting as much as she does now.

2.) Clearly this guy isn't strapped for cash, so he can afford any decent rifle he wants. I'd get something with a wood stock and have it cut down to fit the young lady. The girl in question could vary widely in size, so a "youth" rifle may or may not fit her. My daughter is 11 and is just now barely tall enough for a "youth" rifle. Most factory youth rifles or youth stocks are about 12.5" or 12.75" LOP. The Model Seven that my daughter shoots is 10.75" LOP and she started with it when she was 8 and still shoots it like a champ. I may move her to a 12.5" stock that I have laying around next year (age 12) or I may wait another year (age 13).

3.) I'd get a .243 and use the 80 gr TTSX, no question. Based on what I have seen with these bullets (12 dead deer), I'd shoot any plains game with it, but admittedly I have Zero experience in Africa. My daughter has shot 9 times and killed 9 deer, including 3 bucks over 170 lbs and 4 DRT with nothing running more than 40 yards and good blood trails. I have convinced several friends to get the 80 gr TTSX for their kids and they all report similar results.

4.) My daughter shoots 100-150 rounds of .22 ammo every time we go to the farm (about once/month year round), but rarely shoots her .243 other than at deer. I would probably double or triple that in prep for a big trip, but really wouldn't change much other than teach her to shoot standing on sticks rather than the sitting with sticks that we use now.

5.) Doesn't really matter what any of us think of the dad's plan, but good for him and his daughter. If I could afford it and felt safe with it, I would take my daughter to Africa in a heartbeat.

6.) Does your friend need to adopt any 40 year old sons? wink wink wink wink

Please post a follow up this fall with pictures.

I disagree about the left hand bolt comments. I'm a lefty, and shot right hand bolts, till about 3 years ago, when I got a lefty for my wife. She's a lefty, and wanted to hunt. It IS, a huge improvement. I never even considered a bolt action big game rifle. I certainly do now.

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
If she is left eyed, I cannot think of a single reason to not start and stay LH all the way. I had a left eyed and a right eyed son and they both learned to shoot from that side, and their first bolt action rifles have the bolts on the correct side.

Sorry for being bluntly opinionated, but anything less than that is penny pinching bullshid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by utah708
If she is left eyed, I cannot think of a single reason to not start and stay LH all the way. I had a left eyed and a right eyed son and they both learned to shoot from that side, and their first bolt action rifles have the bolts on the correct side.

Sorry for being bluntly opinionated, but anything less than that is penny pinching bullshid.
Agreed! I did it less for the follow up shots and more for their safety.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

688 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.