Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Good morning, a friend is taking is daughter with him to Africa this September and wanting to get her a suitable rifle for a few of the plains game species. Unfortunately, he’s RH and she’s LH, so he will have to go out and get something. She’ll be 8 at the time of the hunt.

What gun would you recommend? Any special calibers for the youth that you feel would be better than others? I’ll encourage the usage of Barnes bullets for penetration but aside from that, any help would be appreciated. Perhaps one of you have a gun in the safe that is outgrown and this might be a good opportunity to send it on another journey and upgrade for future hunts. Thanks!

Last edited by kscowboy01; 01/04/20.
BP-B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Remington 700 lh youth in 7mm-08 would be my suggestion

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good choice and also with 140 Grain Barnes

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Given that the hunt is only 8 months away, and given that the daughter is only 8 years old, I would get started in very short order with some mild 100gr or 120gr reduced recoil hand loads to get her acclimated to the rifle. First thought is 140gr hunting load in a 7 lb rifle might not be fun for an 8 year old girl. She might eat it up and ask for more. Or, totally shut down on the idea. However, would get started with the mild loads right away. And then work up to the hunting loads... JMO. YMMV.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
She should be measured for the proper length of pull and then have the stock shortened and recoil pad added. Maybe trim the barrel down to 18 inches as well. I just cant see a 8 year old handling anything bigger than a .243 unless the parent reloads. Then reduced loads for a 6.5 CM or 7mm/08 make these calibers a possibility.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The 700 youth comes with the adjustable stock for kids but it might not be short enough for an 8 year old. I bought a 700 youth right hand in SS in 7-08 for one of my grandsons. It worked fine for him at 8 -9 but he is now older so it sits in a McMillan compact.

He started with the Hornady Lite factory loads but for hunting the 120TTXS or 120 BT works great.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
243, 7mm-08 or 260 Rem should be fine with Barnes.
Ruger compact would fit the bill nicely. 12.5" LOP, 18" barrel.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I wouldn't expect recoil tolerance over 30 grains of powder. The list of cartridges is pretty short. Anything you get for an 8yo girl beside an AR is effectively going to be a single shot. Handedness won't matter. Handedness could even change later in life for someone like her and so young. Has she even had her eyes checked for dominance?

I would look at a Blaser type straight pull or single shot break action to keep the weight closer back to the shooter making it easier to hold and move.

You didn't mention budget. It could be anything from a NEF to Blaser. Appropriate recoiling cartridges will fit a T/C Contender.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 01/04/20.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would go with a .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 7-08, or 7x57 Mauser. Heavy bullets, handloaded down to about 2400 fps. The forgotten stock dimension for kids is the grip distance. They cannot reach the trigger without cheating their hand off the grip.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Ruger American compact. 7mm-08, 120 TTSX

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am amazed that there has been so many serious replies to your post. If any of my sons were contemplating taking any of my grandkids, at age 8 to Africa, I'd be asking what caliber and rifle would be best to only wound my son enough to put the plains game hunt on hold for ten years or so. I would tell your "friend" to get his head out of his ass, go to Africa to hunt if he wishes, but leave his 8 year old home. I'm sorry to be insulting, but I am appalled by the scenario put forth by you about taking an 8 year old to hunt in Africa.
Steve

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
On the contrary, kudos to him for taking his daughter. Not sure where the previous reply came from. She obviously will be with her father and guides the whole time and isn't going to shoot large or dangerous game.

Only negative I can imagine would come from jealousy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ken,
Very disappointed in your response. You must be a much more doting grandparent than I to want your 8 year old granddaughter drug off to Africa to hunt big game. There are about a thousand ways I can think of to have very quality time with a child or grandchild than the scenario described by the OP. Do what you wish with yours, but I am disgusted by people who use children for such stunts. Yes, taking an 8 year old to hunt in Africa is a stunt.
Steve

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The OP requested input regarding appropriate firearm to make it a positive constructive experience for the 8 year old. Not a value judgement of whether "we" thought it was good idea. I have no idea what the back story is. Hence, will not judge the parent's decision to take an 8 year old on safari.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Exactly, could be many different circumstances and variables that we don't know. Key phrase is "taking his daughter WITH HIM". So, sounds like for whatever reason, it worked out he is going this year, and decided as a parent that his daughter could join. I highly doubt she sees herself as being drug there or forced to do it. Maybe she has hunted with him for years already. If so, that's great. Would he have been a better parent to leave her here for a week or whatever while he goes on his own?

Here in Michigan, a month ago, there was a Michigan elk tag donated to an 8 year old girl. She went hunting with her dad and a guide and got a 500 pound cow elk with a .308. This particular girl has been already hunting for years with her dad. There was a video a few years ago of her shooting a turkey.

So, it all depends on the situation. I myself have an 8 year old. She hasn't shown much interest in hunting yet, but that could change. I could have legally started her hunting and shooting any time I wanted to. But, would I force her to- just because I felt like she needed to learn or have the experience? Absolutely not.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I wish my parents were mean enough to drag me to Africa when I was 8!😂

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
After he read Steve’s post, the trip has been cancelled🤦🏻‍♂️. It’s their family’s decision what their daughter can and can’t do, not ours.

Ok. Back to what we’re really discussing.

“Ruger American compact. 7mm-08, 120 TTSX”

Really liking this suggestion.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. Well, not really. Given the lack of any back story in the original post, my impression is still the same.
Ken, thank you for your second post. The example of the girl in Michigan certainly shows it can be done. Sounds like she had the experience and background to be up to the task. Nothing mentioned by ksc01 led me to think this 7 year old is an experienced shooter and hunter, but I could certainly be wrong about that. Seems like asking the PH/outfitter for his recommendation/ requirements for a suitable caliber would be a really good first step.
I've said more about this than I should have, so I'll leave it right here. It would be great to resurrect this thread in October with hunt report from the OP.
Steve

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I wish them the best as well. She certainly isn't the first kid to join a safari. What incredible memories that will bring.

I guess if it is indeed her first time actually hunting and shooting game, it is a heck of a way to start. Lots of time to practice before then.

A gun she can handle and isn't afraid of is the most important. Start with a 22 for training and work up.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here is my $0.02.

1.) LH or RH rifle doesn't really matter in a bolt action. A kid that age is not going to be making quick follow up shots. My daughter is LH and uses a RH rifle for now. When she is older, I may buy her a LH rifle if she continues to love hunting as much as she does now.

2.) Clearly this guy isn't strapped for cash, so he can afford any decent rifle he wants. I'd get something with a wood stock and have it cut down to fit the young lady. The girl in question could vary widely in size, so a "youth" rifle may or may not fit her. My daughter is 11 and is just now barely tall enough for a "youth" rifle. Most factory youth rifles or youth stocks are about 12.5" or 12.75" LOP. The Model Seven that my daughter shoots is 10.75" LOP and she started with it when she was 8 and still shoots it like a champ. I may move her to a 12.5" stock that I have laying around next year (age 12) or I may wait another year (age 13).

3.) I'd get a .243 and use the 80 gr TTSX, no question. Based on what I have seen with these bullets (12 dead deer), I'd shoot any plains game with it, but admittedly I have Zero experience in Africa. My daughter has shot 9 times and killed 9 deer, including 3 bucks over 170 lbs and 4 DRT with nothing running more than 40 yards and good blood trails. I have convinced several friends to get the 80 gr TTSX for their kids and they all report similar results.

4.) My daughter shoots 100-150 rounds of .22 ammo every time we go to the farm (about once/month year round), but rarely shoots her .243 other than at deer. I would probably double or triple that in prep for a big trip, but really wouldn't change much other than teach her to shoot standing on sticks rather than the sitting with sticks that we use now.

5.) Doesn't really matter what any of us think of the dad's plan, but good for him and his daughter. If I could afford it and felt safe with it, I would take my daughter to Africa in a heartbeat.

6.) Does your friend need to adopt any 40 year old sons? wink wink wink wink

Please post a follow up this fall with pictures.

Last edited by country_20boy; 01/08/20.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.