Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Man drives are traditional at that time in SC. It takes coordination and strict observance of safety to do it safely. Lots of people been shot over the years doing it and not because they were mistaken. Buckshot is prone to ricochet. People take shots at deer they shouldn't and probably wouldn't had they plenty of time to consider it. It is easy to lose track of the other hunters in the thick cover or swing a little too far and get out of your safe field of fire. You really have to keep it in mind and let deer go if you aren't 100% sure. They used to not even investigate until the law was changed some years ago. This is not something a nine year old girl should be involved in at all.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 01/03/20.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ConradCA
I could see an idiot shooting at a deer, missing and the bullets going through brush and hitting someone.

This is about the only way I could call this an accident. And then only maybe...

What a terrible thing to happen.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I wonder how many shots he fired. With a rifle a pass through that hit the other one is possible

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I cannot imagine doing this type of hunt.

Prayers for their family.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Probably shooting at sound and/or motion.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
EMTs said wounds consistent with shotgun injury.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kelbro
I cannot imagine doing this type of hunt.

Prayers for their family.

You are missing out. When deer come busting out, hellbent for the other side of the county, its pretty exciting. I sit and wait sometimes, which is effective but exciting it ain't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Unless the father was wearing a fur on buck skin suit, and the daughter had antlers growing above her ears, the shooter should spend life without.

NO EXCUSE!

And then some.

No matter what he shot them with the media will probably claim it was a full auto AR with a 100 round CLIP.

Last edited by DANNYL; 01/04/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I wonder how many shots he fired. With a rifle a pass through that hit the other one is possible

Had to be multiple shots. He would have to be shot in the pelvis and pass through then hit the 9 year old in the head. Just doesn't add up.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I hope to God that the shooter was not a child too, in Pa, people bitched when they raised the hunting age to 6 or 7 , before they raised it there was no age limit, a 2 year old was allowed to hunt deer !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Had to be multiple shots. He would have to be shot in the pelvis and pass through then hit the 9 year old in the head. Just doesn't add up.

It wouldn't be hard for a bullet or slug to do that.
Without knowing all the details it's pointless to speculate or make assumptions.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Snyper
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

It wouldn't be hard for a bullet or slug to do that.
Without knowing all the details it's pointless to speculate or make assumptions.

Kids have a tenancy to stand close to their parents. Could have easily been a single shoot, especially if buck shot was being used by the hunter.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Back in the day, "beaters (blacks) were "hired" to kick up the deer.
This was a practice in the low country of the state. About Richland county to the coast.
Refered to as a deer drive.
I participated in ONE. In my entire life I've never heard or seen anything like it.
I was set-up on a high point and had a pump 12 with 00.
When the shooting started I was so nervous I moved to a big pine and got my back against it. It sounded like a fkin war.
I got a doe that came screaming by.
When all was clear and we made it back to the group , about 20 guys, one man and I were the only ones to kill a deer.
I swore I'd never hunt like that again.
I can easily see how someone could get shot. And usually, in SC, someone does every year.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
any more news on this?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you shoot someone while you are out hunting. You own it 100%. No alibis.

Last edited by Szumi; 01/04/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been hunting for 59 years and I've shot my share of deer. In that time I've NEVER seen a man who looked like a deer or a deer that looked like a man. On the lowest level of simplicity, beside the number of legs, a man's torso is vertical while a deer's is horizontal. They don't mix.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was an avid deer hunter in central Georgia throughout the 80s and the 90s. I was also a paramedic. Small town, I knew all three game wardens on a first name basis.
We had lots of deer hunting accidents. If I didn't work the call, then I got the first hand scoop, either from the medics who worked the call, or else from the wardens.
Back then, punishment for a hunting accident wasn't too severe, and a few of these "accidents" we had to wonder if it was actually murder.

The worst one I saw was a 22 year old college boy was hunting with a 70 year old guy. They were at opposite ends of a 200 yard field.
At dark, the old guy came walking across the field. College boy thought he was a deer and he fired! Hit the man right in the middle of the thigh with a 7mm mag.
A little entrance wound. But the bullet hit the femur, the thigh bone. Good God the xray was unreal. It blew the middle 8 inches of the femur into powder. The exit wound was about 12 inches long, and wide.

My little hospital couldn't handle it, so we transferred him to the big hospital in Macon. I attended on the 45 minute transfer, the guy was conscious but in severe shock. We were hanging blood big time, but, he had lost so much blood. Even the Medical Center of Macon couldn't handle it and the guy got his leg amputated. He had lost so much blood it was like a stroke, the guy's brain was badly damaged but he did survive.

And this man jumped into Normandy with the 101st Airborne, on D-Day, but he had never been wounded in the war.

They suspended the kid's hunting license for 5 years and he had to pay a fine. Since then, the punishment has been increased for hunting accidents.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mr. Harvey said the father and daughter were shot with a shotgun. Their autopsies will be performed on Sunday.

“They were deer hunting, so they were using what we would call buckshot,” he said.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Coroner's report is out. Doesn't say much that is new. But, he does say that it looks like dad and girl were killed with a single shot.
For starters you have to be close to kill with buckshot. I have never hunted with it, but I doubt it would kill on a torso shot past 100 yards.
Y'all buckshot experts can chime in.
I mean, if it were a 30-06 the sky would be the limit could have been 400 yards.

So, probably 50 yards, maybe closer. Plus, one shot killed dad and the girl. At 50 yards what is the shot pattern, about 15 inches?
So the man and the little girl were real close to the shooter, and standing right next to each other.
Unreal, I live in North Carolina and our leaves went bye bye 8 weeks ago. And I bet all the leaves are down in coastal S. Carolina.

If dad and the girl weren't wearing orange, had he survived he needed to be put in jail.
If they had on orange, how in hell could their own hunting partner take a shot like that? Haven't heard of any charges being brought.

Primary Menu
NEWS
STORM TEAM 2

Watch our livestream of News 2 at 5:00PM
Coroner: Kim and Lauren Drawdy died of ‘buckshot’ wounds
COLLETON COUNTY NEWS
by: Chase Laudenslager

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 / 01:00 PM EST / Updated: Jan 6, 2020 / 03:15 PM EST

Lauren Drawdy (provided)

RELATED CONTENT
A man and his 9-year-old daughter killed in New Year’s Day hunting accident
COLLETON CO., S.C. (WCBD) – Colleton County Coroner, Richard Harvey, has provided more details on the deaths of Kim and Lauren Drawdy, the father and daughter who died in a hunting accident last week.

Harvey said that both victims died from “buckshot wounds to the torso.”

He ruled the death accidental.

A buckshot is described by several hunting websites as the largest type of “shot” used in shotgun shells. As indicated in the name, it was created for hunting medium to large game animals such as deer. The shot bursts in the air, releasing multiple projectiles. The coroner said it was likely one shot that hit both of the victims.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
At 50 yards what is the shot pattern, about 15 inches?

Primary Menu
NEWS
STORM TEAM 2

Watch our livestream of News 2 at 5:00PM
Coroner: Kim and Lauren Drawdy died of ‘buckshot’ wounds
COLLETON COUNTY NEWS
by: Chase Laudenslager

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 / 01:00 PM EST / Updated: Jan 6, 2020 / 03:15 PM EST

Lauren Drawdy (provided)

RELATED CONTENT
A man and his 9-year-old daughter killed in New Year’s Day hunting accident
COLLETON CO., S.C. (WCBD) – Colleton County Coroner, Richard Harvey, has provided more details on the deaths of Kim and Lauren Drawdy, the father and daughter who died in a hunting accident last week.

Harvey said that both victims died from “buckshot wounds to the torso.”

He ruled the death accidental.

A buckshot is described by several hunting websites as the largest type of “shot” used in shotgun shells. As indicated in the name, it was created for hunting medium to large game animals such as deer. The shot bursts in the air, releasing multiple projectiles. The coroner said it was likely one shot that hit both of the victims.

I think a 50 yard buck pattern would be much more than 15 inches, but could be wrong on that.

Interesting to learn that buckshot "bursts in the air, releasing multiple projectiles". never knew that.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (11point, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.