Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why can’t they offer 2 or 2.5-10 in their vx3i like other companies figured out how to. With out going Up to their vx5 and up. At 3.5 they are almost at 4 .. they might as well make it 3.5-12.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why all the fat tubes? 30mm and 34mm clubs is the last thing I want on my nice light rifles. I imagine they're some shooters' cup of tea, and they should get what they want.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I see a whole lot of scopes being discontinued compared to the number of new models being introduced.

And then the word on the custom shop being 'restructured'.

Looks to me like Leupold as a whole is being 'restructured'. And that is generally not a good sign. I hope I'm wrong, but this looks a tad ominous.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DELGUE
I see a whole lot of scopes being discontinued compared to the number of new models being introduced.

Looks to me like Leupold as a whole is being 'restructured'. And that is generally not a good sign. I hope I'm wrong, but this looks a tad ominous.

I was thinking the same exact thing.

First Weaver and then Nikon, hoping Leupold isnt next....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Why all the fat tubes? 30mm and 34mm clubs is the last thing I want on my nice light rifles. I imagine they're some shooters' cup of tea, and they should get what they want.

Because they are heeding the market. Lots of 'long range hunters' out there. Larger tubes generally mean more elevation/windage adjustment, so the wanna-bes can dial a distant target that they might not otherwise be able to dial with the smaller tube. That said, still doesn't mean they hit what they're aiming at ! shocked

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WiFowler
..Because they are heeding the market. Lots of 'long range hunters' out there. Larger tubes generally mean more elevation/windage adjustment, so the wanna-bes can dial a distant target that they might not otherwise be able to dial with the smaller tube. That said, still doesn't mean they hit what they're aiming at ! shocked

Fat tubes are selling and there are more shooters than hunters who want light rigs.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 01/03/20.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a guess, but I'll bet they think they'll make more money this way.🙄

Gotta go with the market or fail. Based on the dustup we had here a while back, I wouldn't bet much on them "fixing" anything, since they seem to believe nothing's wrong.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One benefit of a light rifle is it allows you to go with a heavier optic without becoming burdensome. The 16oz VX-5 on my Fieldcraft is a good fit, better than a slightly heavier, but much bulkier 1" scope I tried at first. Tall turrets and side knobs annoy me on a hunting rifle because they make the package larger, but a 30mm tube doesn't have to be bulky, and may be stronger. The FC weighs 6lbs 7oz IIRC, just about perfect for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It's a crowded optics market in general. The global economy has slowed a bit with the big exception of USA. I've been thinking for the last year that we might start seeing a shake-out of optics manufacturers. Not just scopes but binos and spotters too. For 15-20 years Leupold dominated the North American rifle scope market, and there is a good chance they have seen their rifle scope market share decrease with all the new scopes out there.

Long range shooting may be big in the rifle loony world that buy multiple rifles and multiple scopes costing more than the rifle. A fair share of shooters may have one expensive scope and a lot of less expensive scopes. But dialing scopes with good glass start at a $700-$800 street price and quickly go up from there, and their's just not going to be a lot of them sold.

I bet Leupold sells more VX Freedoms than all their other rifle scopes combined.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348

One benefit of a light rifle is it allows you to go with a heavier optic without becoming burdensome. The 16oz VX-5 on my Fieldcraft is a good fit, better than a slightly heavier, but much bulkier 1" scope I tried at first. Tall turrets and side knobs annoy me on a hunting rifle because they make the package larger, but a 30mm tube doesn't have to be bulky, and may be stronger. The FC weighs 6lbs 7oz IIRC, just about perfect for me.

For me, it not just about the weight but the balance of the rifle. A 30mm tube is usually accompanied by a 42mm or larger objective lens, weighs more, and often necessitates higher rings. This moves the weight away from the centerline of the rifle, making it more top heavy, and creates more side to side imbalance. When carrying a rifle all day hunting--in my hand, or slung with a conventional sling, or a Safari Sling like I do--while maneuvering through thickish timber or climbing/descending steep hills, balance counts for me.

When adding a 1/2 lb or more extra weight (for most dialing scopes) and moving it further away from the centerline of a 5 1/2 lb rifle makes a big difference proportionately. In your case the VX-5 weighs less than 20+ oz most dialing scopes do, but my buddy's VX-5 2-10 CDS weighed a bit over 18 oz, which I think is more than Leupold advertised for that scope.

Heavier scopes with larger tubes and objective lens mounted further away from the center line of lighter rifles have a bigger effect on side to side balance.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 01/04/20.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

It's a crowded optics market in general. The global economy has slowed a bit with the big exception of USA. I've been thinking for the last year that we might start seeing a shake-out of optics manufacturers. Not just scopes but binos and spotters too. For 15-20 years Leupold dominated the North American rifle scope market, and there is a good chance they have seen their rifle scope market share decrease with all the new scopes out there.

Long range shooting may be big in the rifle loony world that buy multiple rifles and multiple scopes costing more than the rifle. A fair share of shooters may have one expensive scope and a lot of less expensive scopes. But dialing scopes with good glass start at a $700-$800 street price and quickly go up from there, and their's just not going to be a lot of them sold.

I bet Leupold sells more VX Freedoms than all their other rifle scopes combined.

Your last sentence is very telling. And probably true.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It definitely looks like Leupold is trying to cut down on the different configurations, as they should. WIth brick and mortar stores steadily becoming less important, having a lot of SKUs is not that critical any more.

They are effectively consolidating technologies, so that their excellent zerolock turret propagates through the product line.

VX-R is being consolidated with VX-Freedom, which is another good thing.

Altogether, mostly good changes, I think,

ILya

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by koshkin
It definitely looks like Leupold is trying to cut down on the different configurations, as they should. WIth brick and mortar stores steadily becoming less important, having a lot of SKUs is not that critical any more.

They are effectively consolidating technologies, so that their excellent zerolock turret propagates through the product line.

ILya

Wouldn't be changing their erector springs, and scope internals would they?....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The beginning of the end of Leupold as we know it. Doug, do you know how long the warranty will be honored on those listed scopes?

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GeoW
The beginning of the end of Leupold as we know it. Doug, do you know how long the warranty will be honored on those listed scopes?

g

They are steadily losing market share and something has to be done... But they are far from going out of business...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
They are getting rid of the older, faulty internals. That’s it.

Didn’t know the 4x had faults

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WiFowler

Because they are heeding the market. Lots of 'long range hunters' out there. Larger tubes generally mean more elevation/windage adjustment, so the wanna-bes can dial a distant target that they might not otherwise be able to dial with the smaller tube. That said, still doesn't mean they hit what they're aiming at ! shocked

It's a horrible fad. Both twisting and tacticool are gayer than a 270 ever was on its worst day. Throw in the word creemooooor and its enough to make a guy vomit.

Sorry. Rant over.

fwiw, for the 5% of you who can actually walk the talk, this obviously doesnt apply, but you already knew that. For the rest... gay.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just a guess, but I'll bet they think they'll make more money this way.🙄

Gotta go with the market or fail. .

Yeah. Probably right.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by koshkin

ILya

Wouldn't be changing their erector springs, and scope internals would they?....

On older designs, probably not.

Their newer designs seem to do alright.

ILya

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

For me, it not just about the weight but the balance of the rifle. A 30mm tube is usually accompanied by a 42mm or larger objective lens, weighs more, and often necessitates higher rings. This moves the weight away from the centerline of the rifle, making it more top heavy, and creates more side to side imbalance. When carrying a rifle all day hunting--in my hand, or slung with a conventional sling, or a Safari Sling like I do--while maneuvering through thickish timber or climbing/descending steep hills, balance counts for me.

When adding a 1/2 lb or more extra weight (for most dialing scopes) and moving it further away from the centerline of a 5 1/2 lb rifle makes a big difference proportionately. In your case the VX-5 weighs less than 20+ oz most dialing scopes do, but my buddy's VX-5 2-10 CDS weighed a bit over 18 oz, which I think is more than Leupold advertised for that scope.

Heavier scopes with larger tubes and objective lens mounted further away from the center line of lighter rifles have a bigger effect on side to side balance.

I'm very satisfied with the balance and weight of my FC rig. The 2-10 sits in low Talleys. Pretty much the perfect rig for me, all around. An Alpine with another one pound scope, this one a 1", is 11 or 12oz heavier, but also totes well. No tall turrets for me on a rifle I'm carrying around the woods; groundhog fields, maybe. The shots that would make them useful are just never offered on my turf.

I just picked up a pair of 3-9 FF IIs on sale. They're the right size and weight, and have a dead-nuts reputation for staying pointed where you set them. No need to spend or carry more for me, unless my circumstances change.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,247
Posts18,466,921
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.