Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you Dave.

You're pretty much right - I'm looking for the kind of quality that doesn't need more than a little tweak or two, just because rimfire are funny that way.

Lately I've seen a few 64 sporters right around $700 on GB (they all have their cosmetic issues) so I'm assuming (I know, I know...) that 600/700 is reasonable. I could be completely wrong too - I only know the market casually.

I currently own a little CZ 455 Lux that is "Anschutz accurate", and a dolled up 10-22 sporter that seems to shoot like a dedicated bench gun with its favorite ammo. What I'm looking for now is a rifle that is built to a very high standard and shoots like those two rifles do.

It sounds like the Ruger is just too hit or miss. Too bad, since part of me really likes them, and I wouldn't really mind learning how to tune one. But it sounds like it will just be a $500 setback to getting to what I really want, and I've done that a few times already.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i like the boat paddle 77/22's, in fact i packed one around while squirrel hunting today. Of the several i have owned, only had one that had accuracy issues, could not make it like any ammo i tried to my satisfaction, so factory barrel was pulled & swapped to a green mountain barrel...no issues thereafter.

Currently have "as-issued" 77/22's in 22LR, .17HMR, and 22Mag, been happy with those.....plus have 3 more here now with aftermarket barrels, but only 1 because of the mentioned accuracy issues. sold 2 others that were pretty much duplicates, so of 8 total, only had 1 that i felt was substandard.

triggers are easy fix, barrels are easy swap, & i liked the stock designs, and the safety design. I do have quite a few CZ's, Anschutz, Kimbers, and others, but the 77/22's have worked well for me.

============================================================

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Pappy348 I sure wish I had known you were selling that rifle. My all weather shoots very good, not bench rest good but 1/2” to 3/4 depending on ammo at 50 yards. I personally like the looks and the fit of these rifles. My 39A isn’t a bench rest accurate rifle either and it will fetch more money that the M77/22. It all depends on what you want out of the gun. Granted I go into my first M77/22 for under 300.00

That was a tough decision as it was a really nice little rifle, about a 3/4" shooter with a couple of loads. But I'm also enjoying what I bought with the proceeds, and hopefully the new owner is happy too.

The other 77/22 I've futzed with is one of the Target models. Installed a Timney sear on that one years ago, and recently shimmed the bolt. It's always been a decent shooter, but too dang heavy for me to tote around. Bought it for my son about 20-odd years ago. Now my grandson is whacking squirrels with it, but off a rest as it weighs about as much as one of his legs. That Timney sear is the quick and easy way to a better trigger, but my home-grown job was free and came out pretty slick.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 1987 production 77/22 RS, and its all good. I have an old Bushnell 4x rimfire scope on it, not a target rifle, but it can hold to an inch or less at 100yds on a calm day with ammo it likes. No shimming required, original barrel, but did have a smith tune the trigger back in '88. Used to use old 1cent stamps as 25 to 50 yd targets (with more hits than misses!).

Lately it's been on backyard pest control with CCI Quiet ammo, and its accounted for a number of squirrels, pigeons and a woodchuck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have late a late run stainless 22LR and a blued 22 magnum. They are pleasantly accurate with their preferred ammo. I love the flush rotary magazines. When you look at them, hold them and use them, you know they are quality pieces. Unlike the new American models. The 77/22 rarely suffered from quality control issues that are so pervasive with Ruger these days. They were too expensive for what they were though. I got mine for very good prices.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
So, what are they really worth?
Not their market value based on new retail, but what's a fair price based on their quality and performance?

In talking about a blued .22or sporter in particular. Think 90 to 95% condition.
And ill have to buy a set of rings for it.

Last edited by kragman1; 01/05/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a good one that was built in 1985. I bought it for $250 from a guy at the local gun club who was complaining about accuracy. Put a Volquartsen sear and sear spring in it, experimented with stock screw tension and put a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3.5-10 x 36mm AO scope on it.

Winchester Power Point ammo gave 1/2 " 5 shot groups at 50 yards and I rocked on. I would be remiss if I didn't say they are a nice looking rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you roundoak. That's great info.

I'm really on the fence about buying it. Trying to find out just how hit or miss the early ones like yours were.

Best case scenario its $400 OTD plus I magically find rings and it shoots with a little fun-time tuning.

Worst case I'm looking at $700 after rings and a Green Mountain barrel. That would buy me a nice 1416 sporter, more or less.

Decisions.... Decisions.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buy it, this is a first year, plenty accurate [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
$400 OTD plus around $250 for Randy’s (CPC) 77/22 package would equal $650 and be a very good shooter.

Of course the work might not be needed if it shoots well initially. I have a 17HMR that needed nothing.

Used Randy multiple times and have been very satisfied. Fast turn around and no issues upon receiving.

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger77.html

Rob

Last edited by ring3; 01/06/20. Reason: Added info
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks all

Well, I bought the Ruger at noon. No deal on it but I gave it a better inspection armed with a little knowledge and a spent case, and what I found was good so I went for it.

The bolt head had moderate play in it - .maybe .015" to my eyes so sounds like a shim candidate.

The chamber, however, was very tight. A spent case from an accurate CZ 455 fit very snugly but only went halfway in before I would have had to force it. Chamber is reasonably clean too - fouling was not binding it up at all. No way to tell how deep the chamber is though...

Crown looks to be true, although that can be tough to see even if you're an old machinist like me.

Factory trigger (I believe) was much better than I expected too. Doesn't need any work as-is, and could only get better IMO.

I'll be into I for $500 after I track down rings. Thats a lot, but I'm cautiously optimistic after giving it a good look today.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. There are still plenty of guns that I dont know much about and this is one of them. Without the info people have shared I would have skipped it. Instead, I may have found a real gem.

Kragman

Last edited by kragman1; 01/06/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kragman1
Thanks all

Well, I bought the Ruger at noon. No deal on it but I gave it a better inspection armed with a little knowledge and a spent case, and what I found was good so I went for it.

The bolt head had moderate play in it - .maybe .015" to my eyes so sounds like a shim candidate.

The chamber, however, was very tight. A spent case from an accurate CZ 455 fit very snugly but only went halfway in before I would have had to force it. Chamber is reasonably clean too - fouling was not binding it up at all. No way to tell how deep the chamber is though...

Crown looks to be true, although that can be tough to see even if you're an old machinist like me.

Factory trigger (I believe) was much better than I expected too. Doesn't need any work as-is, and could only get better IMO.

I'll be into I for $500 after I track down rings. Thats a lot, but I'm cautiously optimistic after giving it a good look today.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. There are still plenty of guns that I dont know much about and this is one of them. Without the info people have shared I would have skipped it. Instead, I may have found a real gem.

Kragman

Rings? This is a steal!

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-grand-slam-ringmounts-ruger-1-77-22-1-medium-gloss.html

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Kragman, what glass are you thinking of putting on your new rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Please come back with a report. Would also be interested in its ammo preferences.

Have a good one,

1Minute
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
fine woods rifle, but if you looking for bug holes then just buy a CZ since you will spend at least that much to get a 77/22 to shoot as well. my experience only, YMMV

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
OK, here's a question for the guys that weren't thrilled with theirs - would you buy a 90% first year produced rifle for $400 and take your chances or would you skip it and put that money towards a $600/700Anschutz?

I'm leaning pass myself...

I as noted above, had more than one. Wouldn’t ever own another.
And as you are considering, I bought an Anschutz. There is no comparison.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: Don't believe everything you hear!
Put MORE faith in what you actually see with your own eyes and accomplish with your own hands.
I have several Ruger 77 rimfire Rifles including two in 22 L.R. and all of them are quite accurate!
Not only that but they are handsome, pretty well made, VERY reliable, fit me to a "T" and I am familiar with several more Ruger 77/22's owned by close friends/Hunting partners and they (and I!) wouldn't even consider selling them.
The 10 round, flush fitting, easy to load, handy, relatively inexpensive and indestructible rotary magazines the 77/22's use, absolutely HUMBLES anything now, or ever, made by CZ!
My Ruger 77/22 V/T with Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power) scope is "deadly" accurate with Winchester 40 grain Power-Points!
I did do a trigger job on that extremely accurate Rifle but other than that it has shot VERY well from day one.
Having said these things (and I stand by them!), for NOTICEABLY less money you can get one of the Ruger American rimfires with heavy barrel, laminated stock and "adjusto" type trigger!
I own a few of these Ruger American Rimfire Varmints in various calibers and they all perform VERY well and use the same rotary magazines.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Guys, I want to say Thank You to everyone who has pitched in here with their experience and advice.

I pretty much expected to get different takes on the quality of the rifles because it does seem that they were hit or miss over time.

I am looking forward to getting it home in a few weeks, getting glass on it and starting the ammo testing.
Depending on how much free time I have ( and how hard my impatience pulls on me) I expect to shoot some groups before and after shimming the bolt (indoor range) before I really get into ammo testing.

FyrepowrX - I have an M8 6x36 tucked away that will probably go on it, but ill look for something with AO the test ammo with.

Paul - that IS a heck of a deal on rings! A buddy of mine told me that he may have a pair for me, I'll know later this week. Otherwise I'm buying those, and thank you for the tip.

This little experiment will be valuable to me even if I end up with a different rifle. I will enjoy the trip wherever it takes me.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

FyrepowrX - I have an M8 6x36 tucked away that will probably go on it, but ill look for something with AO the test ammo with.

I think that will look right at home on there....look forward to seeing pix & hearing test results.
Keep us posted!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you're only into it for $500 and it's in good shape, you did pretty well.

Let me add that they can be a bit tricky to get scoped. Look for long tubes, or tube-diameter objectives, and long ER. The bolt lift is pretty high, so check for interference before you screw it all down. Small eyepieces help there.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.