Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the tip Pappy!

Sounds like the same challenges as the BRNO/CZ rifles.
Been there, done that.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is another great Natchez deal.

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-dr...-reticle-33-13-fov-3-1-3-8-er-matte.html

With an extra 10% off purchases greater than $100 through tomorrow. I had a Redfield Revolution on my 77/22 LR. I replaced it with this Burris. Both have enough tube length. Not a lot of extra room to play with. Both also have enough bolt clearance with the ocular bell. That is with the factory rings. I am guessing they are mediums. I have never looked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

With an extra 10% off purchases greater than $100 through tomorrow. I had a Redfield Revolution on my 77/22 LR. I replaced it with this Burris. Both have enough tube length. Not a lot of extra room to play with. Both also have enough bolt clearance with the ocular bell. That is with the factory rings. I am guessing they are mediums. I have never looked.

Agreed. I have the same scope on my 77/22 and I like it very much. In fact, I just ordered another one. For plinking/rabbits/squirrels I prefer non-AO scopes. Mounting/clearance wasn't an issue:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Agreed. I have the same scope on my 77/22 and I like it very much. In fact, I just ordered another one. For plinking/rabbits/squirrels I prefer non-AO scopes. Mounting/clearance wasn't an issue:

i have a pair of those, as well as the 2-7x version, so far have been liking them...Paul Barnard, thanks for posting that sale!

============================================================

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

i have a pair of those, as well as the 2-7x version, so far have been liking them...Paul Barnard, thanks for posting that sale!

You are most welcome. A month from now I'll decide I want another one and be pissed at myself that none are left!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are those aiming points for HS or SV? Anybody know? The Burris site didn't specify.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Are those aiming points for HS or SV? Anybody know? The Burris site didn't specify.

Go here https://ballistics.burrisoptics.com/
Use the reticle analysis they have a real comprehensive list of 22 ammo to play with to give you your tenon points.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My newest .22 project rifle is a new in the box 77/22 all weather that was supplied with the medium stainless Ruger rings. Since a lot of you have scopes mounted on your 77/22's, I am considering ordering a low set of the Ruger rings for a 3x9-32 Leupold AO Rimfire scope. Have any of you used the low ring set and had bolt or objective clearance issues? Ruger is the only manufacturer who makes the 77/22 low rings from what I've been able to find.

I've only shot the rifle 10 times and had three cases fail to extract. My gunsmith tells me that a lot of the 77/22 chambers are tight and it would be easy to open it up. Reading here I'm told that tighter chambers are better for accuracy, so the question is should I get the chamber polished up or leave it as is and try different ammo?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Windfall: Sounds like you bought the Rifle used.
It may have shot a bunch of heavily lubricated/waxed ammunition and the "chamber" needs cleaning?
At least I hope that's the snag.
My 77/22 All-Weather extracts and ejects just dandily?
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: I see now that you bought the Ruger 77/22 and I am happy for you and hopeful you will like it as much as I do mine!
Let us know how it shoots - and the price you paid, in my mind, is a "bargain".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you VarmintGuy

Yes, so far its a good deal. Like I said though, I'm very leery of it being a "good not great" that holds me back from an Anschutz. We'll see how that works out....

So, about the tight chamber:
I would clean it "with extreme prejudice" ha ha and see

1. If it looks anything less than smooth.... because if it doesn't look smooth then it probably has a high enough microfinish that it can both be grippy on brass and collect fouling. Think tiny tiny sandpaper but made out of steel.

2. If there's any sort of a sharp edge or an edge burr at the chamber mouth.

3. Find out what a truly snug fired case mic's at all the way around, not just 1 measurement. Then compare that to the published specs on the various chambers to see if you have plenty of room to polish a little and still have a nice "match" chamber.

Last edited by kragman1; 01/07/20.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How great does a 22 have to be
That rifle will do anything a hunting 22 could ever be expected to do
If you want a target rifle you should buy a target rifle

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

You are most welcome. A month from now I'll decide I want another one and be pissed at myself that none are left!

Paul...my thoughts exactly, so to prevent future self-loathing i snapped up 3 of 'em when you posted that link....ahhhh, the wondrous delights of wretched excess... grin

Had been giving thought to doing some scope changes on a couple of rifles anyway, now there is a good reason to get that done.
G~

============================================================

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Castle_Rock -

You're only looking at it from a practical standpoint - i.e., "good enough" for this or that use.
There's nothing wrong with that. I approach most things that way.

But don't knock me for being an accuracy enthusiast, especially with rimfires. That's what makes me smile these days.
I'm talking mechanical accuracy - I used to be a good shot but I never developed the skills to be competitive.

Bringing out the best in any rifle is challenging fun to do, and rewarding fun when your finished.

ps - I like nice walnut too, even though a birch stock works fine....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: There is a "gunsmith" here in Montana that has a "special chamber reamer" for 22 L.R. chambers. I have personally taken 5 (five) customers" to him over the years that had trouble with their heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's.
Their troubles were always the same - in the heat of Ground Squirrel shooting they got frustrated with their "tight chambered" heavy barreled Ruger 10/22's not extracting/ejecting consistently!
This gunsmith only charges $20.00 to remove the barrel and run his special chamber reamer in there and vois la the Ruger 10/22's ran (functioned) just fine after that.
Their Rifles were ready for shooting (re-sighting in) by the next day and one was ready later that afternoon.
Now I have NOT heard any complaints from my Varminting partners about their Ruger 10/22's becoming noticeably less accurate after this treatment so that may be another option.
I have two heavy barrel match chambered (tight chambered) Ruger 10/22's and I have not resorted to the "chamber loosening" myself.
I do deal with the occasional fail to extract situation manually (Leathermans fine, slotted screwdriver blade) in these guns.
Another Ruger 10/22 was not extracting/ejecting and that Rifle was cured by replacing the extractor, as the gun had been fired so much it just rounded off the supposed to be 90 degree lip of the extractor.
Look see if your extractor has been rounded.
Again best of luck with the nifty, quality, handsome and popular Ruger 77/22.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Go here https://ballistics.burrisoptics.com/
Use the reticle analysis they have a real comprehensive list of 22 ammo to play with to give you your tenon points.

Pretty slick.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Windfall
My newest .22 project rifle is a new in the box 77/22 all weather that was supplied with the medium stainless Ruger rings. Since a lot of you have scopes mounted on your 77/22's, I am considering ordering a low set of the Ruger rings for a 3x9-32 Leupold AO Rimfire scope. Have any of you used the low ring set and had bolt or objective clearance issues? Ruger is the only manufacturer who makes the 77/22 low rings from what I've been able to find.

I've only shot the rifle 10 times and had three cases fail to extract. My gunsmith tells me that a lot of the 77/22 chambers are tight and it would be easy to open it up. Reading here I'm told that tighter chambers are better for accuracy, so the question is should I get the chamber polished up or leave it as is and try different ammo?

I have used low Ruger rings on my 77/22's (and the 77/44 mag). The bolt clearance is definitely an issue. Some small scopes will fit but many do not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Worst case I can order them and see if they will work with that rimfire scope and return them if they don’t. I do like a low mounted scope because I get a better cheek weld.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I checked the size of the scope on my 77/22. It is an old Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 in low rings. The bolt just barely clears the scope. A Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 did not work with the low rings.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I needed to go with Medium Warne rings. I do have a extra set if you want to try then buy.

ned

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.