Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I passed on a 1st year production 22lr today because all I really know about them is their reputation for costing a lot more than they deliver in the accuracy department.

But - I have heard here and there that the early production guns were good shooters. Not sure that they ever were competitive with a run of the mill CZ though. Or a Ruger American for that matter.

So - can anyone summarize the in's & out's / good & bad for this rifle?

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not my first choice for great accuracy out of the box, but they are good rifles, and very dependable. My last was a SS RSI that I sold to finance another notion. It was a real beauty, but my SS 455 outshot it. I've also owned a very early SS boat paddle. Again, a good rifle and tough as nails. Hard to say how accurate that one was, or could have been, as I've learned a bunch about .22s in the years since I had that one.

Two things that are easy to do and can help accuracy are shimming the bolt head and swapping the trigger spring for a lighter one. I also changed the angles on the sear on my RSI to improve the pull, but that's a little more involved. If the barrel on the one you're looking at isn't a good one though, nothing is going to help much, so it remains a crapshoot. The slip-fit barrels on the old ones are easy to change, but expensive, so it really comes down to how much you're willing to spend (risk) on it. If you like the rifle for its looks and feel, that may be enough for you, but there are probably safer, easier paths to a good shooter.

What was the asking price, and for which model?

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have three of them, an early one, one from 91 and another later all-weather. they all shot pretty well without mods but can be made very accurate easily. on my go-to squirrel gun, i replaced the trigger with an adjustable one from dayton traister (30 bucks) and that made the most difference along with bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40 scope. it can now shoot penny sized groups at 50 yards regularly with cci minimags. the cheaper federal ammo is almost as good with the occasional flyer. the early one shoots almost as good with no mods at all so i never mucked with it. it is my sons. the all weather is in a wood stock and was free floated by a previous owner. it was the hardest to get right. i ended up shimming the barrel at the end of the stock and tightening the front action screw as tight as i could get it to put some pressure on the end of the barrel and it now shoots very good but both it and the oldest one would benefit from a trigger like my squirrel gun. i personally like the 77/22 better than the cz's because they are handier and have a more logical safety. i also like them because you can have a centerfire just like your 22. this was the reason i bought them for my boys. they are very well made and fit and finish are excellent.

My diploma is a DD214
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks guys

The one I looked at is a 1st year production, and I've occasionally read that the very early ones were better shooters. No idea why or even if that's a true statement.

I can imagine that a little extra attention may have been paid to them when Ruger started up the manufacturing process. I can also imagine many of the teething pains of getting a new product up and running...

I wonder why Ruger would have switched to a threaded barrel unless they were having problems. My guess is that they were fitment/assembly problems in the plant, not accuracy problems -
1. Easier to machine 2 high precision rounds than to machine 2 standard precision rounds, then thread and deburr them both.
2. My guess is that accuracy problems would be the result of "generous" chambers as much as any action-to-stock issues, and neither have anything to do with threaded or slip fit barrels.

So, there's nothing we can do about Bill's zeal to machine crappy chambers, but if there is a way to inspect for chamber depth and even the leade is like to give it a try

Any tips?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pappy348 I sure wish I had known you were selling that rifle. My all weather shoots very good, not bench rest good but 1/2” to 3/4 depending on ammo at 50 yards. I personally like the looks and the fit of these rifles. My 39A isn’t a bench rest accurate rifle either and it will fetch more money that the M77/22. It all depends on what you want out of the gun. Granted I go into my first M77/22 for under 300.00

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 24” heavy barreled version with target gray stainless finish and laminated stock in .22 LR, I also have the same rifle chambered in .22 WMR. I love everything about these rifles, and there is nothing I dislike about them.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never found that accuracy was much of a problem with the 77/22 as much as holding zero from one shooting session to the next.

I would zero the rifle one day and in a couple of weeks later with the same lot of ammo the POI would have shifted .5-3". It happened with both a boat paddle .22 Magnum and a walnut stocked LR.

I think they do this due to the fact that the barrels are held in place by a V-block... I went over to a CZ 452 17" threaded American and it is spot on every time I take it out...

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have to correct myself - I overlooked the fact that switching to a threaded barrel also eliminates two blind tapped holes in the receiver, and the clamping block & screws as well. Does make orienting the barrel (sight slots) tricky though.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I bought one in 22 magnum in 1991 and it had issues keeping zero also, finally switched the scope rings and no problem after that

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RJM
Never found that accuracy was much of a problem with the 77/22 as much as holding zero from one shooting session to the next.

I would zero the rifle one day and in a couple of weeks later with the same lot of ammo the POI would have shifted .5-3". It happened with both a boat paddle .22 Magnum and a walnut stocked LR.

I think they do this due to the fact that the barrels are held in place by a V-block... I went over to a CZ 452 17" threaded American and it is spot on every time I take it out...

Using loc-tight on the barrel shank can solve that.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have an older walnut stocked one that I was close to sending off for a new barrel. About 1.25 inches at 50 yds, and I thought it should do better. Before doing that deed though I ran into some discussions on shimming the split bolt to rectify a slight headspace issue. First shim was 0.004 inches with no change. Second 0.010 with difficult bolt closure, but groups halved at 50 yds. Third shim 0.007 with polite resistance to bolt closure and groups the same as the prior (0.010 in) attempt Now in the 0.5 to 0.75 inch realm at 50 for 10 rounds.

Their triggers are some of the easiest to work down and there are some web instructions for grinding springs and stoning sears.

Even our lowly 22LR's are ammo specific. Target grade ammos are super. Typical off the shelf it favors American Eagle hollow points and Winchester Power Points (HP) out of about 10 brands I experimented with.

Kept the rifle and it's a toss up as to whether I take the Ruger or a high dollar Anschutz to the squirrel fields. If I were to rebarrel, I would go with a tighter chamber. Probably have at least 40,000+ rounds down the tube on this one.

Holds zero well even with a cheapo scope on top. I think it helps a bit to have the ability to correct for parallax, as I take shots from 10 yds out to about 125+ on squirrels.

It gets an annual cleaning just to make me feel good. After a cleaning it seems to take about 20 rds for point of impact to settle down again. Took me a couple sessions to figure that one out. Post cleaning, I'd go to the range and start chasing zero only to end up with the knobs back in their original positions.

If I lost this one, I'd buy another.

A buddy recently picked up a CZ. Not quite the same fit and finish as my Ruger, but it shoots well.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/05/20.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one, .920 bull Butler Creek SS barrel, refit and set back for a 77/22, 1:14 twist, quicker than most.......17" set in the deluxe stock with trigger job. Gun shoots itty bitty groups at 50 yds, for 10 shots using WW PowerPoints........squirrels don't like it, they get CCI Subsonic HP's

Short and easy to maneuver, but holds steady.....like the flush 10 round mag for hunting.....and even range work.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mine was squirrel head accurate with both Remington Sub Sonics and CCI SGB's. It had the best wood grain I've ever observed on a 77/22 to this day. I should have kept it but I purchased a Kimber 82 that shot a wee bit better and it had a grip profile much more to my liking.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have never owned a 77-22 but worked on a few in my 'smithing years. Actually very few, they don't give much trouble. With a little Dremel work to cut the left hand extractor slot, a 10-22 barrel will fit so premium barrels are available. As mentioned, LockTite on the barrel shank removes one variable.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting KP, I always thought 10/22 and 77/22 barrels were the same. I always thought I wanted a Ruger 77/17HM2, but not for the prices on GUNBROKER

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kp321
I have never owned a 77-22 but worked on a few in my 'smithing years. Actually very few, they don't give much trouble. With a little Dremel work to cut the left hand extractor slot, a 10-22 barrel will fit so premium barrels are available. As mentioned, LockTite on the barrel shank removes one variable.

Besides the second extractor slot the shoulder needs to be set back as well.the shank length on the 77/22 is about a 1/8” longer than a 10/22. I don’t recall the exact length difference but you get the idea.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 01/05/20.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Had more than one.
Nice looking and function well.
Accuracy is poor.
Would not own another.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
OK, here's a question for the guys that weren't thrilled with theirs - would you buy a 90% first year produced rifle for $400 and take your chances or would you skip it and put that money towards a $600/700Anschutz?

I'm leaning pass myself...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Sounds to me like you want the best chance of having a shooter right out of the box. In that case Annie. If you want to save a little money and can do the work yourself, take the chance on the Ruger. With a little tuning and bedding they can be very accurate but usually not up to Annie standards. Even if you have to replace the barrel on the Ruger you are still close to the same money but around here, you don't see many Anschutz for $6 - 700.00

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't overlook a Ruger American - these new models in LR and WMR are often as accurate, or more than the 77/22s. My 77/22 Walnut did 1/2 - 3/4" at 50 yds with sporter OEM bbl. A ball point spring swap was all I did on the trigger as I recall, and its like a glass rod, believe a bit under 2#.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you Dave.

You're pretty much right - I'm looking for the kind of quality that doesn't need more than a little tweak or two, just because rimfire are funny that way.

Lately I've seen a few 64 sporters right around $700 on GB (they all have their cosmetic issues) so I'm assuming (I know, I know...) that 600/700 is reasonable. I could be completely wrong too - I only know the market casually.

I currently own a little CZ 455 Lux that is "Anschutz accurate", and a dolled up 10-22 sporter that seems to shoot like a dedicated bench gun with its favorite ammo. What I'm looking for now is a rifle that is built to a very high standard and shoots like those two rifles do.

It sounds like the Ruger is just too hit or miss. Too bad, since part of me really likes them, and I wouldn't really mind learning how to tune one. But it sounds like it will just be a $500 setback to getting to what I really want, and I've done that a few times already.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
i like the boat paddle 77/22's, in fact i packed one around while squirrel hunting today. Of the several i have owned, only had one that had accuracy issues, could not make it like any ammo i tried to my satisfaction, so factory barrel was pulled & swapped to a green mountain barrel...no issues thereafter.

Currently have "as-issued" 77/22's in 22LR, .17HMR, and 22Mag, been happy with those.....plus have 3 more here now with aftermarket barrels, but only 1 because of the mentioned accuracy issues. sold 2 others that were pretty much duplicates, so of 8 total, only had 1 that i felt was substandard.

triggers are easy fix, barrels are easy swap, & i liked the stock designs, and the safety design. I do have quite a few CZ's, Anschutz, Kimbers, and others, but the 77/22's have worked well for me.

============================================================

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Pappy348 I sure wish I had known you were selling that rifle. My all weather shoots very good, not bench rest good but 1/2” to 3/4 depending on ammo at 50 yards. I personally like the looks and the fit of these rifles. My 39A isn’t a bench rest accurate rifle either and it will fetch more money that the M77/22. It all depends on what you want out of the gun. Granted I go into my first M77/22 for under 300.00

That was a tough decision as it was a really nice little rifle, about a 3/4" shooter with a couple of loads. But I'm also enjoying what I bought with the proceeds, and hopefully the new owner is happy too.

The other 77/22 I've futzed with is one of the Target models. Installed a Timney sear on that one years ago, and recently shimmed the bolt. It's always been a decent shooter, but too dang heavy for me to tote around. Bought it for my son about 20-odd years ago. Now my grandson is whacking squirrels with it, but off a rest as it weighs about as much as one of his legs. That Timney sear is the quick and easy way to a better trigger, but my home-grown job was free and came out pretty slick.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a 1987 production 77/22 RS, and its all good. I have an old Bushnell 4x rimfire scope on it, not a target rifle, but it can hold to an inch or less at 100yds on a calm day with ammo it likes. No shimming required, original barrel, but did have a smith tune the trigger back in '88. Used to use old 1cent stamps as 25 to 50 yd targets (with more hits than misses!).

Lately it's been on backyard pest control with CCI Quiet ammo, and its accounted for a number of squirrels, pigeons and a woodchuck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have late a late run stainless 22LR and a blued 22 magnum. They are pleasantly accurate with their preferred ammo. I love the flush rotary magazines. When you look at them, hold them and use them, you know they are quality pieces. Unlike the new American models. The 77/22 rarely suffered from quality control issues that are so pervasive with Ruger these days. They were too expensive for what they were though. I got mine for very good prices.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
So, what are they really worth?
Not their market value based on new retail, but what's a fair price based on their quality and performance?

In talking about a blued .22or sporter in particular. Think 90 to 95% condition.
And ill have to buy a set of rings for it.

Last edited by kragman1; 01/05/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a good one that was built in 1985. I bought it for $250 from a guy at the local gun club who was complaining about accuracy. Put a Volquartsen sear and sear spring in it, experimented with stock screw tension and put a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3.5-10 x 36mm AO scope on it.

Winchester Power Point ammo gave 1/2 " 5 shot groups at 50 yards and I rocked on. I would be remiss if I didn't say they are a nice looking rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you roundoak. That's great info.

I'm really on the fence about buying it. Trying to find out just how hit or miss the early ones like yours were.

Best case scenario its $400 OTD plus I magically find rings and it shoots with a little fun-time tuning.

Worst case I'm looking at $700 after rings and a Green Mountain barrel. That would buy me a nice 1416 sporter, more or less.

Decisions.... Decisions.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Buy it, this is a first year, plenty accurate [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
$400 OTD plus around $250 for Randy’s (CPC) 77/22 package would equal $650 and be a very good shooter.

Of course the work might not be needed if it shoots well initially. I have a 17HMR that needed nothing.

Used Randy multiple times and have been very satisfied. Fast turn around and no issues upon receiving.

http://www.ct-precision.com/ruger77.html

Rob

Last edited by ring3; 01/06/20. Reason: Added info
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks all

Well, I bought the Ruger at noon. No deal on it but I gave it a better inspection armed with a little knowledge and a spent case, and what I found was good so I went for it.

The bolt head had moderate play in it - .maybe .015" to my eyes so sounds like a shim candidate.

The chamber, however, was very tight. A spent case from an accurate CZ 455 fit very snugly but only went halfway in before I would have had to force it. Chamber is reasonably clean too - fouling was not binding it up at all. No way to tell how deep the chamber is though...

Crown looks to be true, although that can be tough to see even if you're an old machinist like me.

Factory trigger (I believe) was much better than I expected too. Doesn't need any work as-is, and could only get better IMO.

I'll be into I for $500 after I track down rings. Thats a lot, but I'm cautiously optimistic after giving it a good look today.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. There are still plenty of guns that I dont know much about and this is one of them. Without the info people have shared I would have skipped it. Instead, I may have found a real gem.

Kragman

Last edited by kragman1; 01/06/20.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kragman1
Thanks all

Well, I bought the Ruger at noon. No deal on it but I gave it a better inspection armed with a little knowledge and a spent case, and what I found was good so I went for it.

The bolt head had moderate play in it - .maybe .015" to my eyes so sounds like a shim candidate.

The chamber, however, was very tight. A spent case from an accurate CZ 455 fit very snugly but only went halfway in before I would have had to force it. Chamber is reasonably clean too - fouling was not binding it up at all. No way to tell how deep the chamber is though...

Crown looks to be true, although that can be tough to see even if you're an old machinist like me.

Factory trigger (I believe) was much better than I expected too. Doesn't need any work as-is, and could only get better IMO.

I'll be into I for $500 after I track down rings. Thats a lot, but I'm cautiously optimistic after giving it a good look today.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. There are still plenty of guns that I dont know much about and this is one of them. Without the info people have shared I would have skipped it. Instead, I may have found a real gem.

Kragman

Rings? This is a steal!

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-grand-slam-ringmounts-ruger-1-77-22-1-medium-gloss.html

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Kragman, what glass are you thinking of putting on your new rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Please come back with a report. Would also be interested in its ammo preferences.

Have a good one,

1Minute
N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
fine woods rifle, but if you looking for bug holes then just buy a CZ since you will spend at least that much to get a 77/22 to shoot as well. my experience only, YMMV

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
OK, here's a question for the guys that weren't thrilled with theirs - would you buy a 90% first year produced rifle for $400 and take your chances or would you skip it and put that money towards a $600/700Anschutz?

I'm leaning pass myself...

I as noted above, had more than one. Wouldn’t ever own another.
And as you are considering, I bought an Anschutz. There is no comparison.

NRA Patron
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: Don't believe everything you hear!
Put MORE faith in what you actually see with your own eyes and accomplish with your own hands.
I have several Ruger 77 rimfire Rifles including two in 22 L.R. and all of them are quite accurate!
Not only that but they are handsome, pretty well made, VERY reliable, fit me to a "T" and I am familiar with several more Ruger 77/22's owned by close friends/Hunting partners and they (and I!) wouldn't even consider selling them.
The 10 round, flush fitting, easy to load, handy, relatively inexpensive and indestructible rotary magazines the 77/22's use, absolutely HUMBLES anything now, or ever, made by CZ!
My Ruger 77/22 V/T with Weaver V-16 (4 to 16 power) scope is "deadly" accurate with Winchester 40 grain Power-Points!
I did do a trigger job on that extremely accurate Rifle but other than that it has shot VERY well from day one.
Having said these things (and I stand by them!), for NOTICEABLY less money you can get one of the Ruger American rimfires with heavy barrel, laminated stock and "adjusto" type trigger!
I own a few of these Ruger American Rimfire Varmints in various calibers and they all perform VERY well and use the same rotary magazines.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Guys, I want to say Thank You to everyone who has pitched in here with their experience and advice.

I pretty much expected to get different takes on the quality of the rifles because it does seem that they were hit or miss over time.

I am looking forward to getting it home in a few weeks, getting glass on it and starting the ammo testing.
Depending on how much free time I have ( and how hard my impatience pulls on me) I expect to shoot some groups before and after shimming the bolt (indoor range) before I really get into ammo testing.

FyrepowrX - I have an M8 6x36 tucked away that will probably go on it, but ill look for something with AO the test ammo with.

Paul - that IS a heck of a deal on rings! A buddy of mine told me that he may have a pair for me, I'll know later this week. Otherwise I'm buying those, and thank you for the tip.

This little experiment will be valuable to me even if I end up with a different rifle. I will enjoy the trip wherever it takes me.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

FyrepowrX - I have an M8 6x36 tucked away that will probably go on it, but ill look for something with AO the test ammo with.

I think that will look right at home on there....look forward to seeing pix & hearing test results.
Keep us posted!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you're only into it for $500 and it's in good shape, you did pretty well.

Let me add that they can be a bit tricky to get scoped. Look for long tubes, or tube-diameter objectives, and long ER. The bolt lift is pretty high, so check for interference before you screw it all down. Small eyepieces help there.

Good luck.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the tip Pappy!

Sounds like the same challenges as the BRNO/CZ rifles.
Been there, done that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This is another great Natchez deal.

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-dr...-reticle-33-13-fov-3-1-3-8-er-matte.html

With an extra 10% off purchases greater than $100 through tomorrow. I had a Redfield Revolution on my 77/22 LR. I replaced it with this Burris. Both have enough tube length. Not a lot of extra room to play with. Both also have enough bolt clearance with the ocular bell. That is with the factory rings. I am guessing they are mediums. I have never looked.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

With an extra 10% off purchases greater than $100 through tomorrow. I had a Redfield Revolution on my 77/22 LR. I replaced it with this Burris. Both have enough tube length. Not a lot of extra room to play with. Both also have enough bolt clearance with the ocular bell. That is with the factory rings. I am guessing they are mediums. I have never looked.

Agreed. I have the same scope on my 77/22 and I like it very much. In fact, I just ordered another one. For plinking/rabbits/squirrels I prefer non-AO scopes. Mounting/clearance wasn't an issue:

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

Agreed. I have the same scope on my 77/22 and I like it very much. In fact, I just ordered another one. For plinking/rabbits/squirrels I prefer non-AO scopes. Mounting/clearance wasn't an issue:

i have a pair of those, as well as the 2-7x version, so far have been liking them...Paul Barnard, thanks for posting that sale!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

i have a pair of those, as well as the 2-7x version, so far have been liking them...Paul Barnard, thanks for posting that sale!

You are most welcome. A month from now I'll decide I want another one and be pissed at myself that none are left!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Are those aiming points for HS or SV? Anybody know? The Burris site didn't specify.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Are those aiming points for HS or SV? Anybody know? The Burris site didn't specify.

Go here https://ballistics.burrisoptics.com/
Use the reticle analysis they have a real comprehensive list of 22 ammo to play with to give you your tenon points.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My newest .22 project rifle is a new in the box 77/22 all weather that was supplied with the medium stainless Ruger rings. Since a lot of you have scopes mounted on your 77/22's, I am considering ordering a low set of the Ruger rings for a 3x9-32 Leupold AO Rimfire scope. Have any of you used the low ring set and had bolt or objective clearance issues? Ruger is the only manufacturer who makes the 77/22 low rings from what I've been able to find.

I've only shot the rifle 10 times and had three cases fail to extract. My gunsmith tells me that a lot of the 77/22 chambers are tight and it would be easy to open it up. Reading here I'm told that tighter chambers are better for accuracy, so the question is should I get the chamber polished up or leave it as is and try different ammo?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Windfall: Sounds like you bought the Rifle used.
It may have shot a bunch of heavily lubricated/waxed ammunition and the "chamber" needs cleaning?
At least I hope that's the snag.
My 77/22 All-Weather extracts and ejects just dandily?
Good luck.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: I see now that you bought the Ruger 77/22 and I am happy for you and hopeful you will like it as much as I do mine!
Let us know how it shoots - and the price you paid, in my mind, is a "bargain".
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you VarmintGuy

Yes, so far its a good deal. Like I said though, I'm very leery of it being a "good not great" that holds me back from an Anschutz. We'll see how that works out....

So, about the tight chamber:
I would clean it "with extreme prejudice" ha ha and see

1. If it looks anything less than smooth.... because if it doesn't look smooth then it probably has a high enough microfinish that it can both be grippy on brass and collect fouling. Think tiny tiny sandpaper but made out of steel.

2. If there's any sort of a sharp edge or an edge burr at the chamber mouth.

3. Find out what a truly snug fired case mic's at all the way around, not just 1 measurement. Then compare that to the published specs on the various chambers to see if you have plenty of room to polish a little and still have a nice "match" chamber.

Last edited by kragman1; 01/07/20.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How great does a 22 have to be
That rifle will do anything a hunting 22 could ever be expected to do
If you want a target rifle you should buy a target rifle

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

You are most welcome. A month from now I'll decide I want another one and be pissed at myself that none are left!

Paul...my thoughts exactly, so to prevent future self-loathing i snapped up 3 of 'em when you posted that link....ahhhh, the wondrous delights of wretched excess... grin

Had been giving thought to doing some scope changes on a couple of rifles anyway, now there is a good reason to get that done.
G~

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Castle_Rock -

You're only looking at it from a practical standpoint - i.e., "good enough" for this or that use.
There's nothing wrong with that. I approach most things that way.

But don't knock me for being an accuracy enthusiast, especially with rimfires. That's what makes me smile these days.
I'm talking mechanical accuracy - I used to be a good shot but I never developed the skills to be competitive.

Bringing out the best in any rifle is challenging fun to do, and rewarding fun when your finished.

ps - I like nice walnut too, even though a birch stock works fine....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kragman1: There is a "gunsmith" here in Montana that has a "special chamber reamer" for 22 L.R. chambers. I have personally taken 5 (five) customers" to him over the years that had trouble with their heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's.
Their troubles were always the same - in the heat of Ground Squirrel shooting they got frustrated with their "tight chambered" heavy barreled Ruger 10/22's not extracting/ejecting consistently!
This gunsmith only charges $20.00 to remove the barrel and run his special chamber reamer in there and vois la the Ruger 10/22's ran (functioned) just fine after that.
Their Rifles were ready for shooting (re-sighting in) by the next day and one was ready later that afternoon.
Now I have NOT heard any complaints from my Varminting partners about their Ruger 10/22's becoming noticeably less accurate after this treatment so that may be another option.
I have two heavy barrel match chambered (tight chambered) Ruger 10/22's and I have not resorted to the "chamber loosening" myself.
I do deal with the occasional fail to extract situation manually (Leathermans fine, slotted screwdriver blade) in these guns.
Another Ruger 10/22 was not extracting/ejecting and that Rifle was cured by replacing the extractor, as the gun had been fired so much it just rounded off the supposed to be 90 degree lip of the extractor.
Look see if your extractor has been rounded.
Again best of luck with the nifty, quality, handsome and popular Ruger 77/22.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Go here https://ballistics.burrisoptics.com/
Use the reticle analysis they have a real comprehensive list of 22 ammo to play with to give you your tenon points.

Pretty slick.

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Windfall
My newest .22 project rifle is a new in the box 77/22 all weather that was supplied with the medium stainless Ruger rings. Since a lot of you have scopes mounted on your 77/22's, I am considering ordering a low set of the Ruger rings for a 3x9-32 Leupold AO Rimfire scope. Have any of you used the low ring set and had bolt or objective clearance issues? Ruger is the only manufacturer who makes the 77/22 low rings from what I've been able to find.

I've only shot the rifle 10 times and had three cases fail to extract. My gunsmith tells me that a lot of the 77/22 chambers are tight and it would be easy to open it up. Reading here I'm told that tighter chambers are better for accuracy, so the question is should I get the chamber polished up or leave it as is and try different ammo?

I have used low Ruger rings on my 77/22's (and the 77/44 mag). The bolt clearance is definitely an issue. Some small scopes will fit but many do not.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Worst case I can order them and see if they will work with that rimfire scope and return them if they don’t. I do like a low mounted scope because I get a better cheek weld.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I checked the size of the scope on my 77/22. It is an old Nikon Monarch 2-7x32 in low rings. The bolt just barely clears the scope. A Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 did not work with the low rings.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I needed to go with Medium Warne rings. I do have a extra set if you want to try then buy.

ned

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I ended up buying the medium height Weaver rings that Paul posted the link to. They should be here before I can pick up the rifle.
And I dug out an older Bass Pro 6.5-18x40 that has a fairly small ocular bell. Hopefully I can mount that and use it for ammo testing.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Kragman,

I've had two of them, both in 22 Magnum, loved the round as it extended the range I could shoot ground squirrels by about 50 yards.

First one was the standard classic looking version; I benched it at 100 yards and it would keep 5 shots in under one inch, often 3/4 inch (with Winchester 40 grain HP's). Hunted it, loved the rifle and the round. In a fit of stupidity, I sold it to buy the new Ruger bolt-action 22 Hornet, but the reviews I read had around 1 1/2 inches as the best the Hornet would group. So I dropped that idea.

Second one was the Target version, laminated stock, heavy barrel, grey stainless finish. This was about 8 years later, I figured if the standard version shot so well this heavy barrelled/laminated stock version would shoot lights out. It did not, I dinked with it and finally sold it back to the dealer.

Best of luck with your rifle, hope it shoots as well as my first one,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been considerring a stainless boat paddle all weather 22 mag, which I think I would love to have. But think I might appreciate the low bolt throw(to mount a 2.5x20 extra low and forward), and the smaller dimensions, along with the bright fiber optic sights of the Ruger American Compact for a dedicated walkabout/pack/boat rifle.

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Jerry

Boy, if I had done that I'd be kicking myself too!
I really like .22 magnum, and ill probably buy a barrel for my 455 to see what I get.

But 1 thing at a time - first up is the Ruger. I'm hoping to get some range time in this Saturday. Hoping....

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had one for a few years. It was 20 years ago, and the gray metal and laminate in 22mag. It was a great shooter. No complaints other than it was heavy for a rimfire.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Kragman1 not sure if anyone suggested it but the Nikon 3-9X EFR works well for me on my Ruger 77/22 - just heard today that Nikon is getting out of the scope business (haven’t confirmed that).....may have to squirrel a couple of those away!!

PennDog

p.s. my 77/22 (stainless boat paddle stock) is plenty accurate!!

Last edited by PennDog; 01/11/20.
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks PennDog

Yeah, I've heard that too, but haven't seen any indications yet. Hope not.

I've got a Leupold M8 6X that should be good for it.
I'd like a different reticle but the custom shop isn't taking orders these days. Something about restructuring.

But I will keep an open for any deals on the EFRs. I wouldn't mind having one tucked away too.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Your M8 will work just fine - the M8 6X compact AO is my favorite .22 hunting/informal competition scope but they are getting as rare as hen’s teeth and a whole lot more expensive.

PennDog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love both of mine! Have not had any issues with either 22 Lr or 22 wmr. Both shoot everything I’ve tried very well. I didn’t pay as much as one would think for either, would love to have one in 17 to match the pair.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dont eat the big white mint!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mine's a walnut, blued model with factory open sights made in 91. I put a Leupold 2-7 VX2 on it; worked the trigger, shimmed the bolt and pressure bedded the fore end. It's not a target rifle but it's easy squirrel head accurate with either CCI HPs or CCI std. velocity ammo. IMO it's a good looking little sporting rifle that's more accurate than I can hold. Can't think of any bad on this one.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SAKO270WSM
I love both of mine! Have not had any issues with either 22 Lr or 22 wmr. Both shoot everything I’ve tried very well. I didn’t pay as much as one would think for either, would love to have one in 17 to match the pair.

Sako, are those both threaded barrel guns, or did they still offer V-Block attachment barrels for a for a while when they went to the new-style stocks?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mine is a first year model, bought about 6 months after they came out. Found it used at a nearby gunshop, Apparently the owner did not think it exciting enough. Ove the years it has become a long term project rifle. As it was one of the ones without open sights, first thing was to put a Leupold 4x rimfire scope on it which stayed there for for well over 35 years. Along the way I worked on the trigger, ending up with a Vorquartsen sear and the stock trigger, which now has a crisp 2.5lb pull. About 3 years I wanted a bit more accuracy and swapped the barrel for a Shilen sporter contour barrel, and shimmed the bolt. Now in my mid 70's I thought a bit better glass would help so swapped out the fixed 4x scope for a Leupold 3-9 rimfire adjustable objective with extended focal range scope. I actually picked up several of those scopes as they were being discontinued. Last time I shot it I was hitting about 5/8" groups at 50 yards. Someone younger and steadier could probably do better. Still pretty good for a sporter.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Sako, are those both threaded barrel guns, or did they still offer V-Block attachment barrels for a for a while when they went to the new-style stocks?

I dont think these are the threaded models

Dont eat the big white mint!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A stainless/boat paddle 77/22 was the first rimfire I ever bought, picked one up sometime around '95 or '96. Its been actually pretty accurate, it used to love the old plastic cased 100rd boxes of Winchester solids. I didn't really care for the stock, but it was the only option in a stainless .22 LR at the time...I would have much rather had a laminated stock with the target gray finish. The only real negative I've ever had was the stock began fading a bit within the first year or two, but wasn't an issue if you kept it oiled up a little.

Sadly, I haven't shot it in at least a year, but I did just swap out the scope...so looks like there will be some range time in the near future.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I dont think these are the threaded models

They’re threaded.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just read through this topic again and I read six mentions of "shimming the bolt". In laymen's terms what is being done with the bolt and why is/was it necessary? Thanks.

My other auto is a .45

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just read through this topic again and I read six mentions of "shimming the bolt". In laymen's terms what is being done with the bolt and why is/was it necessary? Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Fantastic video, thank you.

My other auto is a .45

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought two of the standard, walnut stocked models in .22 LR not too long after they came out. Both shot very well. I seldom modify guns, get triggers worked on, etc. If they don't shoot well out-of-the-box, I don't keep them long. Some years later, probably mid-1990s, I bought a laminate & stainless 77/22 with a 24" barrel slightly heavier the early guns. It's always shot very well. It may take a while to find the best ammo for a particular rifle, but these guns should all be capable of about half-inch groups at 50 yds.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a newer 77/22 Mag that I love, shoots very well and IMHO there is just something about a blued and walnut rifle. The 77/22's just look good to me. However it will not compete accuracy wise with my Marlin XT 22 Mag. which cost less than tuning up a 77/22, but it is butt ugly. Life is too short to hunt with a ugly rifle. This is one reason I've never shouldered a Ruger American.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
" Life is too short to hunt with a ugly rifle. This is one reason I've never shouldered a Ruger American. "

Absolutely !

Last edited by Clynn; 01/23/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ugly rifles and ugly women are a lot alike, both are fun but you don’t want your friends seeing you with either!

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Ugly rifles and ugly women are a lot alike, both are fun but you don’t want your friends seeing you with either!

Its been a long week, and this really cracked the ice.

Thank you Jim!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s been a long two weeks for us. Week before my son was in Colorado for a ski trip, slid into a tree, pushed his femur into the hip socket and broke the hip socket. Wife flew up there and we got him home, he is a student at Mizzou and I wanted him to take the semester off. Nothing doing he is back. This past Saturday my 89 yr old mother goes into the hospital with respiratory complications and a fib. She was released tonight and is home. Long story short, always look for the humor in life, because real life can be daunting at times. Glad I made you smile.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,746
Posts18,457,750
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.