Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My suppressor dealer just told me he does not recommend using a trust. He says individual purchases are easier and faster than trust purchases.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
My suppressor dealer just told me he does not recommend using a trust. He says individual purchases are easier and faster than trust purchases.
How does he recommend passing them on to others or allowing them to be used by others not in his presence? Truly not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to make sure I have enough information for when I purchase one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OSU Sig,

Same thing my dealer tells me... and he used to (prior to 2019) strongly recommend Trusts.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
How does he recommend passing them on to others or allowing them to be used by others not in his presence? Truly not trying to be a smart a$$, just trying to make sure I have enough information for when I purchase one.

He doesn't advise me on what to do with my personal property. That will be up to BATFE regs.

Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
OSU Sig,

Same thing my dealer tells me... and he used to (prior to 2019) strongly recommend Trusts.

Jerry

Same here, Jerry. My suppressor dealer is also a uniformed police officer here in OK.

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 01/02/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for the response.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone running a Sparrow22 suppressor?

I see that one can be bought for about $360. Sounds pretty reasonable.

My Son in law bought one, and is waiting to bring it home.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Sparrow SS is the one I have. Love it.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Virgil,

I don't think you can make a 'Bad' suppressor for a rifle... though a Thompson Machine 10-22 integral I saw, looked like it was made by a 3rd grade shop class.

It's when you start using them with pistols that you notice the difference. And it will be in the amount of first round pop, Some claim that it is no big deal, with my two Tactical Innovations 'Quests' I do not consider it hearing safe and wear hearing protection when shooting them at the range. With my latest... the 'dead air mask' I can discern no difference between the first and second shot, consider it hearing safe and shoot it without concern with no hearing protection at the range.

So rifle only I would not hesitate on a Sparrow 2, No experience but from what I have read, incredibly easy to disassemble for cleaning (this can really be an issue if you try to go too long before cleaning your can) and reportedly good suppression. For a pistol, I'd go with the 'dead air mask', the element 2, or another can that has a reputation for no first round pop (with a pistol).

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
P
P
I’m reasonably sure that they will have to have their own tax stamp when you pas it on to them.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
do a little more research before you make assumptions

Form 5 transfers are free( this is the form needed to transfer a NFA item to a heir) with a trust they are already listed and it saves you doing this paperwork. The suppressors still reside at the residence on the form 4 in a safe storage state.

So no. There won’t be another 200$ tax stamp. Form 5’s take about 30-60 days currently

https://www.esilencers.com/passing-nfa-items-down-to-your-heirs-without-a-trust/

The beauty of trusts is that I own 6 suppressors, and my wife or brother can legally hunt or shoot with them whenever they want without me being present. Without a trust you must be present at all times. When my kids are old enough so can they. There will be no paperwork for my family to do when I die. I have 3 small kids. If my wife wants to sit and hunt with one and me a different one they can still shoot there rifles suppressed.

If you have a family to leave them to or who will be using them at any point then do a trust. If it’s just you and don’t have any situations where someone else will use them without you do individual. It’s simple really

There are still trust loopholes despite Obama 41f. If you wait till the cans are all back then add people to the trust much easier. If your buying more later on you amend and take them off then put back after tax stamp approved

The sparrow had too much first round pop for me. Especially on a pistol or semi auto rifle. There are better choices available now for pretty much the same money. I went with dead air mask as it sounded the best of all the ones I tried wether on a pistol, rifle. The rugged also sounded great.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Anyone running a Sparrow22 suppressor?

I see that one can be bought for about $360. Sounds pretty reasonable.

My Son in law bought one, and is waiting to bring it home.

Virgil B.

Yes, its great and will work up through 22 Hornet pressures. A wonderful suppressor.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have read reviews that state the first shot "blast" from a handgun is no longer the case with the Sparrow suppressor.

They have supposedly improved them?

I will be using one on a 22 magnum Ruger American, and eventually a Glock 44

Thanks for any more feedback!

Virgil B.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Best bet is to go to a dealer that has some demos and shoot them. If they have improved the sparrow that is nice cause it wasn’t too impressive when I tried it. Always nice to try out your options if possible. Try to shoot the mask, rugged, sparrow, thunderbeast and whatever you can to see what you think fits your need.

If you were close I would let you shoot my mask and my neighbors rimfire cans to see. He has 6 different rimfire suppressors. Mask wins out of the 6 he has. Rugged is pretty much a tie with the mask. Thunderbeast close but a little higher pitched to me. Thompson machine very good as well. Sparrow is about 3/4 years old and comes in next to last with warlock being the least favored. Not sure what is new on market though

Lots of rimfire suppressors capable of handling small centerfire such as 17/22 hornet which is nice. They aren’t as quiet as a centerfire can but very handy in size

You really need to go try them if you can

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good advice.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
More good advice!

I'll check out the dead air Mask a little closer.

Thanks!

Virgil B.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Also watch SilencerShop for specials if you are not going to be buying from a local class 3 dealer. They sometimes have some very good deals

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
KevenJ;

Thanks for the advice.

The Silencer Shop lists Mazama's in Eugene for where to purchase.

They are close to me, and I worked for them for a while after retiring.

Great place to do business.

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I took the plunge and bought a suppressor yesterday. I decided I better "get in line" to get one.

Ended up getting an AAC Halcyon.

It's a two part suppressor that one can screw off the front two inches, if wanted, and made mostly from Titanium.

My dealer highly recommended this one, and he, and most of his employees own this one.

Went ahead and did the individual instead of a trust.

Hopefully it will go faster than a trust.

I've got a Ruger American 22 mag. that is threaded, and will have a threaded barrel for my new Glock 44, buy the time my wait is up.

Hurry up, and wait!!! (GRIN!!)

Virgil B.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Tom264
I’m almost a year waiting now...

Got mine out of jail the other day.
361 days since check cashed.
Form 4 trust.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 72 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.