Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Last summer we bought an '18 Toyota Highlander with AWD. It came with all season tires. I've read that tests have shown all seasons to be no better than highway tires and I sure agree with that. Even with AWD, traction on slick roads is marginal. The problem is that the rubber is hard and made for high mileage. They last about as long as highway tires but they don't have slick road traction.
I'd like to get a set of real snows for it but first I have to find a set of wheels. I'm not going to pay to have them mounted twice a year. So far, all I can find, even used, cost $150 and up. They're 19" and those seem to be at a premium.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Best go ahead and buy a set when you find them. Put a good set of snow tires on them with studs .( I like Coopers) Change out in November and April.I have done this with every vehicle I have had for many years. $600 over ten years unless you turn over vehicles every two years is only $60/year. Saves lot of grief. Especially on my wife's Tacoma. I know if she is out and about and the roads ice up,she is safe and will get home unless some Ahole plows in to her, but a fellow can't guard against that .

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/05/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

245-55x19 ????????

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tikkanut

245-55x19 ????????

yup

― George Orwell

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

not much of an AT tire selection in that size

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since the death of my unloved Tacoma, I’ve been rocking the minivan. With Blizzaks, having no issue getting around, even with some mild drifting we’ve been having. Yesterday one of my colleagues stopped by to pick up some stuff.... and his F150 took four or five runs to make it through where the van had just mozied the night before. I’m continually amazed how much difference modern snow tires make.

Check dealers, junk yards, and tire shops for factory take offs. People are always upgrading wheels.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady or Nokian WRG 3 or 4. Severe service winter rating with a mileage warranty (year round use).

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Last summer we bought an '18 Toyota Highlander with AWD. It came with all season tires. I've read that tests have shown all seasons to be no better than highway tires and I sure agree with that. Even with AWD, traction on slick roads is marginal. The problem is that the rubber is hard and made for high mileage. They last about as long as highway tires but they don't have slick road traction.
I'd like to get a set of real snows for it but first I have to find a set of wheels. I'm not going to pay to have them mounted twice a year. So far, all I can find, even used, cost $150 and up. They're 19" and those seem to be at a premium.

I would first try to get a set of wheels that are not 19 inch to fit your Vehicle, Cheaper?Preferably something in the 16 inch range would be nice. Then I would go with either Nokian or Bridgestone,Blizzak. I’ve run Michelin and Firestone dedicated winter tires I found the previous mentioned to be a better winter tire. This is what I do with my Toyota Tacoma and my Toyota corolla, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised in the difference running a true dedicated high-quality snow tire. Don’t know if I would run studs or not, I run studs on my Tacoma they’re nice but if I would do it again I wouldn’t run studs in the area I live in.Good luck in your decision making.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Depending on the car, it can be impossible to run smaller wheels as they don't fit over the brake calipers. I don't know about the Highlander. I think 18's might fit it, though.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depending on the car, it can be impossible to run smaller wheels as they don't fit over the brake calipers. I don't know about the Highlander.

You need to see if you can get wheels that will fit, if it’s possible.Your overall package will be cheaper, wheels and tires. Or you can just pick up winter tires and switch them as needed on your original wheels. I do that with my Corolla. My Tacoma I have a designated set of wheelsThat I got cheap.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hey rock Chuck, try Toyota nation forums, I was just on there and there was discussion of a gentleman wanting to do the same thing you’re looking to do but on a 2017 highlander. If you do some research I’m sure you’ll come up with an alternative wheel.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Search/watch craigslist or other local selling sites for take-off wheels/tires...........

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Depending on the car, it can be impossible to run smaller wheels as they don't fit over the brake calipers. I don't know about the Highlander. I think 18's might fit it, though.

They will, XLE and lower trims came with 18s from the factory.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by horse1
Search/watch craigslist or other local selling sites for take-off wheels/tires...........
I've been doing that for a month. No luck.

The way the winter's going so far this year, I might not need them anyway.

― George Orwell

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Can you get snow tires in the size that fits your current wheels?

Why not just pay each spring/fall to have tires remounted?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

good info here......

you may find better tire selection in 18"

but that means new wheels

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/offset-backspace

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I put Firestone Weathergrips on my wife’s Edge. They are severe snow rated but supposed to wear like an all season. Nothing but impressed with them so far. As far as a dedicated snow, Nokians are great along with the usual Blizzak.

I have dedicated snow tires on my work vehicle and would put the Weathergrips against them.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it was my vehicle, I'd look at the Michelin Defender LTX M/S if I was planning to keep this vehicle for at least the life of the tires.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If we don't get some snow, this will be a moot issue for this year. We don't have any trips planned until after the usual snow season and around here, the ground is bare.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my second set of Defenders. Tire life and ride quality is very good, as is hydroplaning resistance. Wet traction on pavement however, sucks, and they're neither snow rated, or anything approaching an all-terrain tire.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 47 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.