did the raptor replace it ?

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The F/A-18C and D models are no longer deployed and have been replaced by the F/A-18E and F "super hornets" (which only share about 15% parts commonality with the C/D) and the F/A-18G replaced the EA-6B.

They're going to be around quite a while but the F-35 is their "replacement" but so expensive I don't think that it ever really will.

The F-22 isn't carrier capable and never will be.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pugs

Why not ??

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Why not ??

Nevermind.

A Google search and 15 minutes of reading and now I know why not...………………...

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks pugs.
and was in mirimar for the 79 blues air show....when the YF17 made its debut'. i was in lakehurst nj when the 18 was going thru cat and net tests in 80-81.
and lo and behold, i was in Lemoore nas when the first 18 came west. they hit the fleet and started replacing the A7's. marines got them first.
seems I was always one step ahead of them.

lots changed over time.

IC B2

bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
did I call the navy jet a 22 by accident?
what is the 35?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bobski
did I call the navy jet a 22 by accident?
what is the 35?

I CQ'ed with A-7's aboard Indy but after Desert Storm that was the end of them and the Hornets became the norm for light attack. Funny, I was at China Lake in the mid-90's and out for a run and there was an A-7 that came into the break. The I saw the wing come up. Holy crap, an F-8. The only one I have ever seen flying. It was a contractor out of Mojave.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II

Several versions including ashore and afloat.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
f-8's were still in mirimar in the mid 70's. as they returned to mirimar after cruise, they transitioned to F14's, one sqd at a time. I liked those F8's. loud and easy to work on. we use to call them the stretch A7's.
last time I was in china lake was 89. they were still using sabres as drone jets!!! I saw the last flying sabres in navy inventory that week.
I even saw the only C8 in navy inventory. better yet, I got to jump out of one too!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
last time I was in china lake was 89. they were still using sabres as drone jets!!! I saw the last flying sabres in navy inventory that week!

Yep - they still had Sabres as targets when I was down my first time. Shame those magnificent planes ended up scattered across the desert but the weapons that were tested turned out great.

bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
china lake had the only one of these. NPTF used it to film parachutes.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

IC B3

bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
this whole topic started due to what I heard on local news. being in va beach, reporters are always reporting on oceana and Langley afb. they always get the f22 and f35 mixed up. they didn't elaborate on model updates (a-b-d-g) etc...so it thru a lot of us off when they said they were decommd. and they always get af jets mixed up with navy jets. lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Va beach has Langley AFB just north of there and it has F-22s so they are interested in both but I never find the media terribly smart about this stuff.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The F/A-18C and D models are no longer deployed and have been replaced by the F/A-18E and F "super hornets" (which only share about 15% parts commonality with the C/D) and the F/A-18G replaced the EA-6B.

They're going to be around quite a while but the F-35 is their "replacement" but so expensive I don't think that it ever really will.

Not quite correct.

The F/A-18 A/C/D Hornets are still flying in USMC service - the last USMC Hornet squadron is due to re-equip to F-35s around 2030 (see USMC F-35 transition plan ).

There are still two USN F/A-18A/C/D Hornet squadrons - VFA-204 and VFC-12.
VFA-204 is a reserve squadron based in New Orleans, and provides adversary support for the Navy's Fleet Replacement Squadrons (FRS's) which train new pilots to fly the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet or the F-35 Lightning II at NAS Key West, Florida and NAS Fallon, Nevada.
VFC-12 is a reserve squadron based at NAS Oceana, Virginia, and provides adversary training to East Coast air wings.

The F-35 is the replacement for the F/A-18A/C/D (and the AV-8B in the USMC). The USN has equipped some former F/A-18A/C/D squadrons with F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, and these will be replaced by F-35s over time - the planned final mix is ~50% F-35 & ~50% Super Hornets.
The F/A-18E/F will serve beside the F-35 for at least 2 more decades - the Super Hornets are supposed to be replaced by a new fighter beginning around 2040... which could be manned, unmanned, or "optionally manned".

Jon A. - Sgt, USMC 1981-89, A-6E & F/A-18 avionics tech

Last edited by Blackbat242; 01/06/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackbat242

Not quite correct.

The F/A-18 A/C/D Hornets are still flying in USMC service - the last USMC Hornet squadron is due to re-equip to F-35s around 2030 (see USMC F-35 transition plan ).

There are still two USN F/A-18A/C/D Hornet squadrons - VFA-204 and VFC-12.
VFA-204 is a reserve squadron based in New Orleans, and provides adversary support for the Navy's Fleet Replacement Squadrons (FRS's) which train new pilots to fly the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet or the F-35 Lightning II at NAS Key West, Florida and NAS Fallon, Nevada.
VFC-12 is a reserve squadron based at NAS Oceana, Virginia, and provides adversary training to East Coast air wings.

The F-35 is the replacement for the F/A-18A/C/D (and the AV-8B in the USMC). The USN has equipped some former F/A-18A/C/D squadrons with F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, and these will be replaced by F-35s over time - the planned final mix is ~50% F-35 & ~50% Super Hornets.
The F/A-18E/F will serve beside the F-35 for at least 2 more decades - the Super Hornets are supposed to be replaced by a new fighter beginning around 2040... which could be manned, unmanned, or "optionally manned".

Jon A. - Sgt, USMC 1981-89, A-6E & F/A-18 avionics tech

Of course - I was covering Navy and not the Marines - The Marines I know really wish the Corp had decided to go with the E/F as well and not put all their cards in the F-35. The EW "potential" of the F-35 is going to keep the Marines dependent on Navy Growlers for as long as they fly the C/D Hornets.

I also don't consider VFA-204 or VFC-12 deployable. They are adversary squadrons. (and I flew in CAG-20 the last of my career).

bobski Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was a cag 14 and cag 11 man myself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was a cag 14 and cag 11 man myself.

CAG-8, CAG-7 and CAG-30 and CAG-20. Along with the FEWSG odd ball.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ah, yes, the EA-6B... the sedan version of the Intruder.

I did IMA FLIR repair for 3MAW 81-89 (mostly A-6E, but a little F/A-18A).
I was with CVW-2 aboard Ranger '85-87.

Last edited by Blackbat242; 01/27/20.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 73 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.