Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Steve's thread has me wondering about that. What does it take to be legal, and bring what is just a piece of wood through customs?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am no expert on this, but as a Canadian I cannot simply buy one and carry It through Customs.
This is regulated from the American side, Canadian Customs will not stop this.
Canadians can be detained , fined and who knows what, on the American side.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that this first Sunday of 2020 finds you and your fine family well.

With the understanding that I am no expert on anything, much less importing firearm parts, here's what I've found.

There's some sort of a government export licence that a US manufacturer must have in order to ship parts into Canada.

Because we represent such an infinitesimal section of market share, some firms choose not to bother - and to be clear I don't blame them one bit either.

When we Canucks then call a place such as Brownells, they will let us know if said part's manufacturing firm has the export license or not. If yes, then it's only money for shipping and exchange.

If no, then we're out of luck on that part.

More or less sir, that's been my experience with it, but I am absolutely open to hearing folks who know more than the wee bit that I do.

All the best to you and yours this year wabigoon.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A friend would like use a Boyd's stock on a rifle. Not that important, just wondering what the brain trust on the 'fire thought.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
For importation into Canada, two things must be met. Neither of which Canadians need to worry about.

First, the US seller must have an export permit. The second is that there is a dollar amount that you cannot exceed. Boyds exports to Canada as long as the order does not exceed $500. The AT-Ones I own were $189 each at the time, well below the $500 limit.

If you have a credit card, you are good to go.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good afternoon again sir, I still remain hopeful all is well with you and yours.

If you bring it personally into Canada, that's different than a business being able to export it as there's freight companies and custom's brokers involved.

While I couldn't see it being an issue with Canada Customs, you would be nothing out calling them and asking if you could bring it up.

Hopefully that makes a wee bit of sense and was useful sir. Good luck either way and all the best to you folks.

Dwayne

Edit to say;
Steve was posting as I was typing.

I'd go with what he says on this issue for sure wabigoon.

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/05/20. Reason: Steve posted better info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I got a stock from Numrich last year for my old Savage 22/410, did it online, no issue for me.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So if the USA over regulates firearms related exports, don't buy a stock from the USA. My last stock came form Australia. Hatcher's stocks. hatchersriflestocks.com.au Easy transaction, good value, no paperwork. I am perfectly satisfied.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by castnblast
So if the USA over regulates firearms related exports, don't buy a stock from the USA. My last stock came form Australia. Hatcher's stocks. hatchersriflestocks.com.au Easy transaction, good value, no paperwork. I am perfectly satisfied.

There are no tariffs or over regulation in the US. Some businesses do not want to be bothered to export. That is their right. And it is not always because of export permits. Some of it is shipping items over a border and having to deal with customers should their order be incomplete or go missing. For others, it is the cost. Still others are concerned with warranty issues.

I have dealt with the US and other countries since the 1970s. Rules change over time. Sometimes they are good changes. Sometimes bad. Regardless, it is so easy these days to send a short email, or phone, and ask if they ship to Canada. Quick and painless.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Have the shipper call it "Artistic Wood Carvings." Send it in a plain brown wrapper.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There's no reason for that. US businesses that have export licenses will label the contents correctly. They aren't doing anything wrong.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Firearms-related items over the amunt of $100 USD need an export license to permanently export them outside of the USA, no matter how the export takes place. AN export license takess money and paperwork so it is difficult, if not impossible for an individual to handle it wthout a firm that does exports. ITAR is set up and enforced by the State Department, some people go to the Post Office in the US and ask is it ok if I ship XXX to canada and since it is not a liquid, explosive item or gun they say yes. The post office does not enforce ITAR regs or know much if anything about it, they know their regs. You do not get a "Get out of jail free pass" if the post office says "yes you can ship that" Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I worked a defense program for a few years when with Lockheed so I am very well versed on ITAR regs I had to be to do my job. You may say the law makes no sense, remember that the law is federal so the law does not have to make sense.

I would not tell anyone what to dom but you should know the laws in case you want to follow them.

wade

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well Wade, you're wrong about this one. I have imported two stocks from Boyds, but more importantly, here is what Boyds has on their site.

I will remind you that certain export items (and dollar amounts) are different for Canada versus the rest of the world. I too, am familiar with ITAR. The regulations change on occasion.

(Product value limit increased to $500.00 without export licensing in Canada only). - from the Boyds site.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/content/international-customers

Stockey's Stocks - $500 limit - https://www.stockysstocks.com/shipping/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I stand corrected, thanks Steve.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I doubt if my friend want to shuck out that kind of loot. Thanks all!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by wade brown
I stand corrected, thanks Steve.

No problem, Wade. The rules change from time to time.

I will be ordering another shortly for a rifle with a horrible plastic factory stock. The AT-One is a rigid platform. Like every other maker, potential buyers have to like the product. It's nice to have options and choices.

Cheers.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 42 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.