Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 43 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 42 43
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Can you explain the difficulty in not creating an (unnecessary)hazard on public roadways?

I don't create a hazard. Now answer my question.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
Can you explain the difficulty in not creating an (unnecessary)hazard on public roadways?

Or, if they decide to ride the public ways.............why many feel the rules of the road don't app!y to them. Those same cyclists who bitch about traffic not yielding won't give an inch to a runner.

Cyclists don't break laws with any greater frequency than motorists do. A number of studies have shown this. When cyclists do break laws they often cite safety reasons for doing so. Motorists say they most often break the law for reasons of convenience. When cyclists break the law they don't present much of a danger to others at all. The same cannot be said for motorists.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The highway is the most dangerous place on Earth.

Hey dumbass, ever wonder why hitchhikers don't walk out in traffic?

Can you explain to me the difficulty you have in going around a bicycle on the road?

Logging truck coming toward us in the other lane of a narrow winding 50 mph highway. No way to go around the bicycle. The 15 mile stretch I most hate to share the road with bicyclists is 30 miles from the nearest town and where cyclists are so rare you gotta be kidding about creeping around corners to look for one in the unlikely case one is in my lane. Logging trucks and bicycles are an unwise mix, FWIW. This is the Far West, where time is money to loggers, ranchers and miners who use the roads. Unless it is icy or heavy fog, they are going to drive the speed limit, at least. It is NOT pastoral lanes in New England...

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/05/20. Reason: clarity
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Now answer my question.

Yeah right bitch.

Fuuck you.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Now answer my question.

Yeah right bitch.

Fuuck you.

Take a few Pamprin and see me in the morning hun.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Okanagan
The highway is the most dangerous place on Earth.

Hey dumbass, ever wonder why hitchhikers don't walk out in traffic?

Can you explain to me the difficulty you have in going around a bicycle on the road?

Logging truck coming toward us in the other lane of a narrow winding 50 mph highway 30 miles from the nearest town and where cyclists are so rare you gotta be kidding about creeping around corners to look for one in the unlikely case one is in my lane. Logging trucks and bicycles are an unwise mix, FWIW. This is the Far West, where time is money to loggers, ranchers and miners who use the roads. Unless it is icy or heavy fog, they are going to drive the speed limit, at least. It is NOT pastoral lanes in New England...

What if another logging truck was broken down around that corner? Boulder in the road? Car accident? Someone who drives for a living shouldn't have to be told not to outdrive his line of sight. But I guess such is the state of modern "professional" drivers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Let Me Have It. I Am a Bicyclist....

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Or, if they decide to ride the public ways.............why many feel the rules of the road don't app!y to them. Those same cyclists who bitch about traffic not yielding won't give an inch to a runner.

Cyclists don't break laws with any greater frequency than motorists do. A number of studies have shown this. When cyclists do break laws they often cite safety reasons for doing so. Motorists say they most often break the law for reasons of convenience. When cyclists break the law they don't present much of a danger to others at all. The same cannot be said for motorists.

Translation: it's okay for cyclists to break laws because of the perception of safety. I'm sure running stop signs and lit intersections squares with that theory.
Explain again how not yielding to runners fits that theory?

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I gotta ask Paul,...

Do you see yourself as some sort of liaison that is going to convince “neutral” people to embrace the idea of bicycles on the roads?...or are you simply trolling for attention because it amuses you?

If it’s the former, then I can tell you you’re badly missing the mark. You’re coming across as an azzhole partner, and I truly mean that with the least offense possible. If it’s the latter, then by all means press on and enjoy yourself and all the associated discontent.

I’ll state for the record I’m largely indifferent about the topic, and ride my bike to work with some degree of frequency during the summer on a combination of roads and trails. I’ll also state for the record I come across as an azzhole at times as well.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Threads now more like Let Me Have It I Am a Bicyclist. And then I'll attack all of your opinions because I am morally superior. A Bicyclist.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I didn't say I wouldn't give back.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Translation: it's okay for cyclists to break laws because of the perception of safety. I'm sure running stop signs and lit intersections squares with that theory.
Explain again how not yielding to runners fits that theory?

I give pedestrians and runners the same wide berth I like motor vehicles to give me. When space won't allow, I scrub off speed to pass with minimal disparity and I politely announce my presence. There are plenty of places it makes safety sense for me to run red lights on my bicycle. Are you going to tell me you never break the speed limit? Always come to a complete stop for stop signs and right turn on red? Signal every turn and lane change? because if you do, that bring the grand total of people I know who obey every motor vehicle law up to a grand total of 1.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The OP loves the attention, yes. That's the point of his threads.....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by iddave
I gotta ask Paul,...

Do you see yourself as some sort of liaison that is going to convince “neutral” people to embrace the idea of bicycles on the roads?...or are you simply trolling for attention because it amuses you?

If it’s the former, then I can tell you you’re badly missing the mark. You’re coming across as an azzhole partner, and I truly mean that with the least offense possible. If it’s the latter, then by all means press on and enjoy yourself and all the associated discontent.

I’ll state for the record I’m largely indifferent about the topic, and ride my bike to work with some degree of frequency during the summer on a combination of roads and trails. I’ll also state for the record I come across as an azzhole at times as well.

Dave

I am not presenting myself as an ambassador for bicycling on the road at all. People have made up their mind, and I won't move the needle at all. If someone wants to have a discussion, I'll have one. If someone wants to whine, I'll tell them they are whining. If someone wants to try to make bicyclists on the road out to be a "problem" I'll illustrate how they aren't. I have learned that people feel a need to bitch about bicyclists. This is a place for them to do that. It seems folks are enjoying themselves.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW

That's the point of ALL social media posts.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
The world does have those who are bound and determined to beat their head trying to make it the way they are convinced it should be.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by iddave
I gotta ask Paul,...

Dave

I am not presenting myself as an ambassador for bicycling on the road at all. People have made up their mind, and I won't move the needle at all. If someone wants to have a discussion, I'll have one. If someone wants to whine, I'll tell them they are whining. If someone wants to try to make bicyclists on the road out to be a "problem" I'll illustrate how they aren't. I have learned that people feel a need to bitch about bicyclists. This is a place for them to do that. It seems folks are enjoying themselves.

I'll correct the highlighted portion of your post. You'll throw bullchit out there and paint a pic with your bloody tampon that isn't close to reality. But carry on, it is funny.

MAGA
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by GregW

That's the point of ALL social media posts.

Eehhh...agree to disagree. Lots of people simply answering questions on this site (and others). Lots of people just asking questions too.

Lots of “look at me” stuff too. I’ve done some of that on my hunting posts if I’m being totally honest. I guess in my mind at least, a FEW people enjoy the story though. That’s the intent at least.

I was just trying to figure out where your motivations lay with this one. You answered the question.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Yup. It's the entitled mentality of many unfortunately.

I've said it before on here, but I'll reiterate. In my area, there are hundreds if not thousands of miles of state and Forest Service roads that a pedal biker can use to recreate on. Not to mention gated roads that have no motorized traffic. But instead, many choose to pedal along on 2 lane, no shoulder, 70 mph highways that are already clogged with tourists pulling campers, boats, etc. and local traffic. Simple arrogance, no other way to put it. Bad enough to deal with the poofters in towns where they have their own special lane, up here it's ridiculous.

You did a great job of providing perspective. The roads are clogged with motor vehicles. Doesn't sound like bicyclists are the problem. I may be the only one on this forum that believes that bicycles are infinitely easier to get around than F-350s towing a 5th wheel at 60 MPH, but that's been my experience. I rode on a rural 55 MPH highway in Colorado last summer. It was a lightly traveled road. Most vehicles that encountered me never had to lift off the gas. At one point I realized I had not been passed in 10-15 minutes. I pulled over to take a few pics. When I did, a slow moving motor home came by with about a dozen or so motorists jammed up behind it. But yes, I understand how some of you have difficulty negotiating bicyclists. You have made it very clear.

Pedal bikers if encountered alone and on the appropriate stretch of highway are not a big deal. But traffic on those aforementioned 2 lane roads is bi-directional. I'll let you work that out.

Simply slowing down and going around them isn't often an option, though you'd have the detached reader believe it so.

It's apparent to anyone reading you don't care. Honestly I don't care about the pedal biker/motorized vehicle traffic in LA. I do care about it here, as I and my family deal with it.

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't hate bicyclists. I just think many of them are extremely foolish in the risks they take with their lives, which is OK with me except that their risk involves drivers of other vehicles. That kind are arrogant elitists who insist that all traffic and the rest of the world give way, go around them no matter how inconvenient or unsafe, and leave their little slowly moving patch of roadway sacrosanct. FWIW, on the stretch of curvy highway heavy with logging traffic, I have come around a corner with rockslide boulders on the road, deer and elk in the road, a tree down in the dark one morning.. and have hit none of them. None of them have been as much hassle or hazard as a bicyclist claiming the lane as his and requiring everyone to cross the center line to go around him.

I do hate some bicycle traffic channels that are designed to cause bike/vehicle collisions for those who obey the traffic signs.
Don't know if it is still there but there used to be a designed disaster bike lane on a quarter mile long hill in the north end of the Seattle sprawl. A four lane street with a 35 mph speed limit ran straight down the medium steep slope, with a couple of cross streets, the one near the bottom of the hill with a stop light. The traffic folks added a bike lane on the far right hand side of the downhill lanes.

Bikes going down the hill could easily get up to 35 mph. A driver going downhill who was turning right at a green stoplight could have a bicyclist speeding past him on his right perfectly timed to hit the side of his car. It is normally illegal to make a right turn from a center lane, due to the risk of a vehicle on the right of the one turning... but this fiasco is DESIGNED that way! Both the car turning right and the cyclist going straight through have a green light!

I learned to not only look for pedestrians and cross traffic but to watch for some hard-to-see nitwit bicyclist with a green light whizzing past me on my right as I made a right turn. I never hit one but it was not due to cyclist caution, ever. They had a green light and seemed oblivious to other traffic. That suicide bike lane is one of the reasons I'm glad I moved.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/05/20. Reason: clarity
Page 33 of 43 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,614
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.