Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Doc, what do you think of a Glock31 or a Colt Officer's Model?

They are both pretty small. I prefer the G48 to the G31, for a lot of little reasons. The G48 is the best new pistol Glock has come out with in a long, long time.

As for Officer's Model, I don't care for it. I really like the S&W Scandium 1911 in Commander size, but that's as small/light as I'm comfortable going with in a 1911. But that's just my personal preference. I know a bunch of cops in Wisconsin who absolutely love their Officer's Models, and they're good with them.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Well, being trained and or being trained and licensed ( security guard or LEO) is another thing.

One option would have been to strongly suggest to that individual that there was a coat rack or closet out in the lobby, here let me show you...

I bet churches rethink their security details now. It should start with the “greeter”, especially if they knew this guy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Doc. The G31 is a FULL SIZE Glock BTW...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by lvmiker
What ever gun/holster/belt system you try you will need to wear it from waking until you go to bed every day for a week to figure out if you can make it work for you. If you are not carrying at all times at home or out you will find it difficult to achieve a level of awareness and competency that you appear to seek. Dryfire practice at home will allow you to work out a presentation with various systems and clothing combinations. If possible record your practice sessions and ruthlessly critique yourself until you have removed all unnecessary movement and have a smooth, repeatable presentation from start, through the draw,sight alignment and trigger press. With deliberate practice most people can draw from concealment and fire an aimed 1st shot into 6'' at 10 yards in 1.5 seconds and 6 in <3 seconds. A shot timer is very helpful in setting goals and verifying real progress.

Be honest w/ yourself and realistic about your actual level of competence on demand.

mike r

Excellent points, and I agree completely.

I would add--and others have said this already--you will try holsters and find them wanting, so you will likely end up with a box of them on a shelf. The problem is that some holsters hold the gun well, but don't allow a smooth draw. Others are great to draw from, but they're uncomfortable, or they won't hold the gun. And so on.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It’s a tragedy that after that video grown men are still toting pocket guns. It’s not just stupid, it’s irresponsible.

It always has been, but now there’s no excuse for not knowing better.

what are your thoughts on a Glock 31 (weather/clothing permitting) or a Colt Officer's model 45ACP (7 rounds total) for summer carry?

Certainly the Glock is a good choice, and I would argue the Colt is too. Most can shoot the Officer's ACP like a full sized service handgun, and both pack plenty of punch.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks, Doc. The G31 is a FULL SIZE Glock BTW...

Oops. I was thinking G43 in my head.

Of the fullsize Glocks, I like the G34 and G17L better than the G17 or G22. The G20 and G21 are really big, but really good. I hate the G26 and G27 mini Glocks, but for some odd reason the G30 works really well for me. I carried a G23 for years, but I prefer the G19 in that frame size.

Does that make it any more confusing?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
It’s a tragedy that after that video grown men are still toting pocket guns. It’s not just stupid, it’s irresponsible.

what are your thoughts on a Glock 31 (weather/clothing permitting) or a Colt Officer's model 45ACP (7 rounds total) for summer carry?

Certainly the Glock is a good choice, and I would argue the Colt is too. Most can shoot the Officer's ACP like a full sized service handgun, and both pack plenty of punch.

The Colt is much easier to carry, but I do like the Glock and 15+1

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In street crime (mugging) the victim is usually ambushed suddenly at very close range. If you have a small pistol, you can palm it.
It's different than what (uniformed) cops need.

Last edited by night_owl; 01/05/20.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by night_owl
In street crime (mugging) the victim is usually ambushed suddenly at very close range. If you have a small pistol, you can palm it.

For crying out loud, there’s more dangerous things to think about than just being ambushed.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

First rule of a gun fight: Have a gun!

Irresponsible would be to attend a gunfight unarmed.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Something like the Glock31 is great. Most people can get away with a midsize model (like the 19 / 23) and still be able to shoot it very well.

IMO 7 rounds in a carry gun just isn’t acceptable anymore. The threat has changed in the last 50 years, the response to it should as well. Cowboys fought Indians with 6 shooters, we can do better than that in 2020.

And after being involved in a lot of force on force training I think people will burn through a six round mag a LOT faster than they think they will. Likely on the first bad guy they see.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

First rule of a gun fight: Have a gun!

Irresponsible would be to attend a gunfight unarmed.

First rule of a car race is to have a car, right?

So showing up to the Indy500 in a Nissan Sentra would be responsible?
________

No. You’re wrong. Carrying a miniature .380 in your pocket to a gunfight is irresponsible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most people aren’t carrying a defensive handgun, they’re carrying the firearm equivalent of Dumbo’s feather. It makes them feel better, but doesn’t actually contribute to their success.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by night_owl

For crying out loud, there’s more dangerous things to think about than just being ambushed.

Yeah.. for one thing, ladies' names coming up on the "infotainment" screen.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Blue, appreciate the input.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Something like the Glock31 is great. Most people can get away with a midsize model (like the 19 / 23) and still be able to shoot it very well.

IMO 7 rounds in a carry gun just isn’t acceptable anymore. The threat has changed in the last 50 years, the response to it should as well. Cowboys fought Indians with 6 shooters, we can do better than that in 2020.

And after being involved in a lot of force on force training I think people will burn through a six round mag a LOT faster than they think they will. Likely on the first bad guy they see.

Yep!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or a Colt Officer's model 45ACP (7 rounds total) for summer carry?

Jorge,

So, whassamatter with your stainless Colt Commander; with one in the pipe & an 8 round mag?

If you want something different / a little smaller, look at Wilson Combat's Compact line or their newer XDC9? Fabulous, very shootable, very accurate major caliber pistols.

The scandium S&W 1911 that Doc has referred to is a great choice as well..........it has a round butt & carries quite nicely, same size as your Colt except for the round butt.

But despite my bias to a 45 ACP in a 1911 of some sort, I've been carrying a 3.5" barreled S&W M&P Compact 2.0 more than anything else for the last year or so............15 rounds of 9mm bliss with 124 gr HST's, sorry no pic of it.

MM

S&W Scandium 1911 Commander Size
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Christensen Commander Size 1911 with Titanium frame.

Dan Wesson Guardian commander Size 1911

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, Sig has a SAO version of the 229 out in the Legion line; if I were to buy another gun today, that would get a very hard look.

Sig 229 Legion SAO

MM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
for me in such a situation, i would want a 9mm as a minimum. My choice is a Gen 1 Walther PPS in 9mm and 8 round mag, with a Cook's IWB kydex. Wear a sport coat and you are fine.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RufusG
Holsters are a pretty personal preference area, but since we're talking about church, can we assume you can wear a coat? That would seem to give you a lot of options to try out.

The way I look at it, everyone should start by picking the gun they want to have in a gunfight, and work backwards from there finding a way to carry it .
That..

IF I was in that similar situation (large church, lotta people, longer ranges probable) I'd want to have whatever pistol I can shoot the most accurately at a potential range of 50+ feet...and that would be one of my Kimbers; probably the full-size Raptor in 9mm... Ranges a bit closer (say, 15-50') I'd use the Tactical Ultra II...

Just this last Saturday I went to the range and carried my Kimber Raptor on my hip.. I use a Wright Leatherworks holster for it and it's surprisingly comfy - even with that large handgun..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,724
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.