Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Anybody with old cartridge books ever run across mention of the person who designed the 300 Savage cartridge? And when? Probably 1920, maybe 1919 or 1921 - it was introduced in 1921 if that helps.

We know Charles Newton designed Savage's 22 High Power around 1911, and the 250-3000 a couple years later in 1914. Just not sure who did the 300 Savage. Newton again, or an in-house engineer or ???. Lots of "rumors" including Arthur Savage desgned it himself, but since he'd left the company 15 years earlier that seems unlikely. grin

Thanks.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Designed in-house at Savage, using the .250-3000 case as a model, to improve on the performance of the .303 cartridge. The short neck and minimal taper (compared to the Newton design) allowed the .300 to approximate the .30-06 loadings of the period.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. That matches with what I've heard. But in case anybody has ever run into a name or a specific date, I'd love to hear.

There was an bright engineer at Savage by the name of Charlie Nelson that did some pistol improvements for them, and helped design the model 1920 the year before the 300 Savage came out. I don't know that he was involved ,but I wouldn't be surprised. Adding the 300 Savage cartridge to the 1920 made it competitive with other new bolt actions coming out in 30-06.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It will kill hogs really well with a 130 Barnes.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The .300 Savage was designed in 1920 by Arthur William Savage, who was the founder of Savage Arms Company. The design is based off the parent case of the .250-3000 Savage that was designed in 1915 by Charles Newton. The ballistic performances based off three grain types for velocity are 2,765 ft/s (150 gr), 2,676 ft/s (165 gr), 2,503 ft/s (180 gr).

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I do remember reading although I can’t remember where, that the 300 Savage was tested extensively as a light machine gun round in the late 40’s.
As I remember, it seems that there were feeding issues with the 300 Savage having something to do with the neck.
A result of this testing resulted in the birth of the 308 Winchester.
Now, I probably don’t have all of the details correct concerning the issue because it’s been awhile since I read that but someone on here would know and could refresh my memory.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Anybody with old cartridge books ever run across mention of the person who designed the 300 Savage cartridge? And when? Probably 1920, maybe 1919 or 1921 - it was introduced in 1921 if that helps.

We know Charles Newton designed Savage's 22 High Power around 1911, and the 250-3000 a couple years later in 1914. Just not sure who did the 300 Savage. Newton again, or an in-house engineer or ???. Lots of "rumors" including Arthur Savage desgned it himself, but since he'd left the company 15 years earlier that seems unlikely. grin

Thanks.

I agree with Rory, it seems unlikely that Arthur Savage would have designed a new cartridge for Savage so long after he had left the company. If a respected pre-WW2 gun writer like Ned Crossman, Paul Curtis, Phil Sharpe or Townsend Whelen had written a piece on the history of the 300 Savage cartridge and name Arthur Savage as the designer, I would be much more likely to believe it. Even though Charles Newton had designed the 22HP and 250-3000 for Savage, it seems likely that he was fully engaged in his own company and his own line of rifles and cartridges to have time to consult with Savage during the period of time when the 300 Savage was designed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
I do remember reading although I can’t remember where, that the 300 Savage was tested extensively as a light machine gun round in the late 40’s.
As I remember, it seems that there were feeding issues with the 300 Savage having something to do with the neck.
Now, I probably don’t have all of the details correct concerning the issue because it’s been awhile since I read that but someone on here would know and could refresh my memory.

> what a older engineer at Federal Cartridge explained to me in detail was the 300 Savage was an excellent candidate to use in a machine gun and the U.S. military almost used the 300 Savage instead of the 308 Winchester, but Washington dirty politics and money under the table made the decision for our military to use the 308 Winchester instead. and now today its name seems to have change too ? a Grin and a head shake

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's certainly a fine cartridge. I've read of a study done in the 30s by Washington state, where they surveyed elk hunters on many things, including cartridge of choice. Many answered ".300", referring to the Savage. Elk must be bigger and tougher now, as are whitetails and other game animals. wink

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
There is an obscure reference to Charles Newton having designed the .300 Savage. I have seen it in a circular enticing investors in the Leverbolt Rifle Co of about 1927. Anyway, I saw this in black and white and there is no mistaking it. iIused to collect Newton rifles and had most of the catalogs and nearly all of the paper stuff his companies put out from 1914- to the end in the late 1920s. The first time I ran into this little nugget of cartridge history, I had to wonder if I was the only guy to have ever noticed this.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53

> what a older engineer at Federal Cartridge explained to me in detail was the 300 Savage was an excellent candidate to use in a machine gun and the U.S. military almost used the 300 Savage instead of the 308 Winchester, but Washington dirty politics and money under the table made the decision for our military to use the 308 Winchester instead. and now today its name seems to have change too ? a Grin and a head shake

I have read and heard from actual users that the U.S. military had more than a few Browning .30 caliber machineguns jam when they got hot and the rim would tear off a sticking 30-06 case. The 7.62x51 case was designed with a much heavier/thicker rim and base than the 30-06, probably done so in order to reduce the frequency of jams due to torn rims.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I have read and heard from actual users that the U.S. military had more than a few Browning .30 caliber machineguns jam when they got hot and the rim would tear off a sticking 30-06 case. The 7.62x51 case was designed with a much heavier/thicker rim and base than the 30-06, probably done so in order to reduce the frequency of jams due to torn rims.

Could have sply thickened the 06 case of that was the only problem, but by shortening the 06 case left less case to extract

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here's how the text of the Leverbolt's "Special Notice" starts: "Mr. Newton has long been known to riflemen, first as the designer of high power cartridges such as the Savage line of .22 high Power, 250,3000, and .300 Savage, later the .256 Newton, .30 Newton, and .35 Newton..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The 7.62x51 was developed at the Frankford Arsenal, starting with .300 (case # T-65) in 1945. Frankford kept working the cartridge until 1949, changing the length, rim thickness, extractor grooves etc. until the 7.62x51mm cartridge was developed. With Frankford changing different dimensions of the .300 for so many years to create the 7.62x51mm, it makes it less of a chance of dirty politics and rather trying to make a better cartridge.

7.62x51mm development

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JIMFORAL
Here's how the text of the Leverbolt's "Special Notice" starts: "Mr. Newton has long been known to riflemen, first as the designer of high power cartridges such as the Savage line of .22 high Power, 250,3000, and .300 Savage, later the .256 Newton, .30 Newton, and .35 Newton..."

Could Newton have designed the cartridge during the heyday of the .22HP and .250-3000 and presented it to Savage who in turn slept on it for a few years?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Could Newton have designed the cartridge during the heyday of the .22HP and .250-3000 and presented it to Savage who in turn slept on it for a few years?

Didn't Savage stop producing civilian firearms during WW1 and switch to building military firearms? IIRC, they made Lewis machineguns sometime between 1916 and 1919. Newton could have designed the 300 Savage and Savage could have waited until after peace had been reestablished before choosing to introduce it.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Ooh, that's a great link, Jim. Can't guarantee it's correct, but it's a great start give that it's a period reference.

There was a massive depression in 1920, and Savage Arms pretty much closed down all production of all products by the end of the year was selling everything at cost just to raise cash. They didn't restart production until mid-1921 from what we can tell.

I wouldn't be surprised if Savage hired Newton during this downturn to develop the 300 Savage, or more likely that Newton went to Savage with the idea as he and his company probably needed cash as well. As far as we've found, the first Savage rifles made in 300 Savage date to the fall of 1921.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Didn't Savage stop producing civilian firearms during WW1 and switch to building military firearms? IIRC, they made Lewis machineguns sometime between 1916 and 1919. Newton could have designed the 300 Savage and Savage could have waited until after peace had been reestablished before choosing to introduce it.

Yes, production drastically reduced in 1916/197 and totally stopped in 1918. It's possible they sat on it.. but they made 41,000 Savage 99's in 1919/1920 - almost double their earlier production rate. I think they would have introduced it in 1919 if they had it then to beef up their sales. Just my guess, obviously.

Maybe somebody who knows Charles Newton and his company's history would know anything important for 1918-1921? When did he start it up, when did it close, did he do custom work during this time??

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/07/20.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
There is an obscure reference to Charles Newton having designed the .300 Savage. I have seen it in a circular enticing investors in the Leverbolt Rifle Co of about 1927. Anyway, I saw this in black and white and there is no mistaking it. iIused to collect Newton rifles and had most of the catalogs and nearly all of the paper stuff his companies put out from 1914- to the end in the late 1920s. The first time I ran into this little nugget of cartridge history, I had to wonder if I was the only guy to have ever noticed this.

Well dang... just saw that the Leverbolt Rifle Co was Charles Newton's own company, his last try at firearms.

If his own company's flyer says he produced the 300 Savage cartridge, that's pretty convincing evidence. Awesome!

Last edited by Calhoun; 01/07/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who ever designed that cartridge has my respect and I think in some ways it was ahead of the times. How good was the Mod. 99 in .300 Savage? I still have the one my Dad brought when we moved to Alaska in 1965. Still have the old Weaver with the Post reticle. Dad and his life time friend Ken who moved to Cantwell in the 50's used that set up for years and even though Dad moved to his beloved old Mod. 70 .264 Winny he always had a soft spot for the .300 Savage he used on mule deer and antelope on his "out West" hunts.

Any way, his friend Ken used his old peep sighted .300 to drop 5 caribou in very short order when he caught them on a little frozen pond during a winter hunt. The limit back in "the day" was either 4 or 5 on the Nelchina herd. They gutted them hopped on the snow go's and towed them to the pickups and loaded up. Hung them from the engine hoist beam in my Dad's big shop up in the Slana River Valley about 40 miles from Tok and skinned them when they thawed. Ken used that old peep sighted .300 on many a caribou and moose, with no complaints. Dang, I miss those days and wish I could turn back the clock.

The old rifle is a safe queen now and my wife said to hang it up some where in the living room. I love that gal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,749
Posts18,401,306
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.