Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Had ‘em at the gun show this weekend.

Seems like a neat idea, been around for awhile now.

Are they any good?

(I know they ain’t handguns but they sorta fit here.)

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mine worked great. Never jammed once. Accurate too. Gave it to one of my nephews. He hasn’t wore it out yet.

The current Generation maybe the 2, ? has a rail on top for mounting a heads up type sight or red dot, and a light rail on bottom.

You want the one that takes Glock Mags. Rumor is that a 10mm version will be out soon.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/05/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the info, years ago I had a Hi Point carbine, IIRC only the 147 gr loads grouped worth anything at 100.

A 10mm version could be awesome, a blowback recoil spring for that load might be pretty stout tho, took significant effort to pull back the bolt on a 9mm.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Are they any good?

I've had the original Sub 2000, Glock mag 9mm, for a long while. Never had a jam with factory ammo. Had one or two jams with low quality bulk reloads. Great concept, the fold away carbine.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will paste my comments about a Gen 2 from a thread in December 2019:

Mine has been reliable, but it rarely gets used. It was a nice concept, in theory, but poorly executed. It is impossible for me to get a cheek weld on the buffer tube and have the ghost ring anything close to aligning properly with the front sight. It has a blowback action that, surprisingly, generates more recoil than I was expecting. Until the distance starts exceeding pistol range, I am much faster with a pistol than this rifle. Accuracy from the bench was decent, but obtained at a very slow pace. Sorry, I can't give you group sizes. All in all, unless one needs the compact size and light weight, it is a FAIL for me. I view it as a gun to use for taking a couple of shots at a target that is outside pistol range, but not for something like action shooting. Edited to add: The trigger is horrible.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Are they any good?

Enjoy them for what they are - lightweight foldable pistol caliber carbine. If you put a red dot on it it wont fold up.
100 yards max. Everyone will want to shoot it. Toss it under the seat of your truck in a bag - a true truck gun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked at these, and decided to just buy a Ruger PC Carbine 9mm. I didn't need the folding part of it, although the Ruger is a take-down. And the ergos of the Kel-Tec didn't work too good for me. The Ruger is a ball of fun with a suppressor and a Burris Fastfire.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
I will paste my comments about a Gen 2 from a thread in December 2019:

Mine has been reliable, but it rarely gets used. It was a nice concept, in theory, but poorly executed. It is impossible for me to get a cheek weld on the buffer tube and have the ghost ring anything close to aligning properly with the front sight. It has a blowback action that, surprisingly, generates more recoil than I was expecting. Until the distance starts exceeding pistol range, I am much faster with a pistol than this rifle. Accuracy from the bench was decent, but obtained at a very slow pace. Sorry, I can't give you group sizes. All in all, unless one needs the compact size and light weight, it is a FAIL for me. I view it as a gun to use for taking a couple of shots at a target that is outside pistol range, but not for something like action shooting. Edited to add: The trigger is horrible.

Mine would shoot 5 shot 2” groups at 100 yards. Pretty accurate, I thought, for open sights and my old eyes.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
They are "minute of man" with their "iron" sights. That's good enough for what it is.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of the first gen ones several years ago. I really didn't shoot it much, but it was just fine and I had very little complaints. Mine fed from a Beretta 92 magazine, and it just plain worked. But a friend wanted it more than I did, so it went down the road.

I think it's one of the best products Kel Tec makes.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 57 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.