Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
What sights came on the Browning Miroku 1885 Rifles? I have a rifle with a (factory) 28” octagon barrel, heavy w/ Matt blue finish. I bought it with a 12x Unertl scope, the front base being mounted in the open sight dovetail. Did they all come from factory with tang mounted peep sights, or open sights only? This barrel has a front sight dovetail with a blank filler in it. I’d like to find a set of factory open sights if available. Thanks for any info!

Last edited by Alaninga; 01/06/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally, it came with barrel sights (gold bead front and typical stepped leaf rear), and with a Marbles tang sight.
The barrel sights shouldn't be too hard to find, either from Browning/Winchester or on ebay, etc. The Marbles tang sights are also pretty easy to find and can probably still be ordered directly from Marbles if you don't mind paying full retail.

I wish I could find single shots with 12X Unertls on them!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My Traditional Hunters, 28" octagon barrels, in .32-40 and .38-55 came with tang sights and stepped open sights. My .405, 24" (I think) octagon barrel has only the stepped open sights. All have gold bead front sights.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I first considered purchasing this rig a year and a half ago. I’m not always one to make quick decisions! Actually I hesitated because I did not inspect the rifle carefully enough and worried that the front target scope base might not have been properly D&T’d to the barrel - I did not realize at the time that it was merely attached using the factory dovetail for the original open sight! I would at least like to get the open sight set now, and maybe the tang peep later. I think the Unertl will stay where it is until I get some range time to see how I like the rifle. It’s not a light weight for sure! It should be great fun shooting on the bench though.

Last edited by Alaninga; 01/06/20.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I just got one in 308. No sights, but D&T for scope bases. Also D&T

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
for a tang sight.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
From all I read so far and based my experience with an 1885 and that brand scope (not together), this is what I would do. First I would find a tang sight. With a tang sight, there is no need for a rear leaf. On the other hand getting any kind of a neat looking scope mounted on a Miruko 1885 is tough. The typical bases look like crap to me. I would retain the 12x scope and mounts. That would be an ideal combination for hunting and target shooting. It is almost like my dream gun. Tang aperture and a classic scope. Sweet.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
fourbore I agree- the standard scope bases for these rifles look like they have too much metal in them, quite a hunk of steel!
I’ll probably leave this rig as it is. It’s too heavy to tote around in the brush anyway. I might take it to a deer box stand and be able to utilize a window rest or shooting sticks. I have a standing invite to hunt in a friend’s very comfortable box stand for a doe reduction hunt. MOST likely I will just shoot it off the bench with cast bullets at paper. Even that seems more difficult to get done these days.
It came with a couple hundred Oregon Trail cast RNFP ‘silver alloy’ 170 gr .309” GC bullets. Guess those will be fun to load and shoot!
I’ll keep an eye open for a tang peep sight, I like that idea. I’ll need to find one to inspect and know what to look for as I’d like to find an original (same model) peep if I purchase one.

Last edited by Alaninga; 01/07/20.
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
—— I meant to describe the scope mounts Browning offered for standard internally adjusted hunting scopes look bulky. These scope bases for the Unertl look fine!
This rig is something I really enjoy just admiring when sitting in my home office chair - a good break when doing dreaded paperwork. Hope to get it to the range soon to see how these Oregon Trail cast 170’s do!

Last edited by Alaninga; 01/09/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning or Winchester need to offer the 30-30 in the Low Wall configuration ( light 24" barrel, DT for mounts, pistol grip ).
It would be a much more user friendly rig to actually walk around with and be a hoot to hunt with. IMO.
I have the Browning Low Wall in .260Rem and find it MUCH lighter and handier than the 1885 High Walls I've held.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I also have a Ruger No.1A stainless walnut in 30/30 Win. It has a 22” Sporter barrel and handles like you described the low wall.
This 30/30 high wall with it’s 28” fairly heavy barrel will not be carried much farther than from my vehicle to a covered shooting bench at the range.
I rarely see those low walls in any cartridge, and sure would be tempted if I found one.

Last edited by Alaninga; 01/13/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Browning or Winchester need to offer the 30-30 in the Low Wall configuration ( light 24" barrel, DT for mounts, pistol grip ).
It would be a much more user friendly rig to actually walk around with and be a hoot to hunt with. IMO.
I have the Browning Low Wall in .260Rem and find it MUCH lighter and handier than the 1885 High Walls I've held.

This^^^^

I would love this!!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Add me to the list... I would prefer a Browning without that gold trigger. A blued receiver would be my preference. Premium oiled finished wood.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Some of the Winchester high wall traditional hunter rifles were made with 22 inch barrels. They are not uncomfortable to carry and, in 38-55, are fun to shoot!

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I considered what cutting this heavy 28” octagon barrel to 22 - 24” would do to the handling (!). Just a thought!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
112 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.