Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's awful

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Generally it has been freezing at night, and warmer clouds put down rain, so ice is the result.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by moosemike
That's awful

Yep, a lot of lives lost and messed up in the middle of a night not fit for man nor beast. This messed up a new year for a lot of people.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Looks like FedEx will be late - AGAIN!!!

When will people learn to SLOW DOWN when it's slippery???

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Redneck
Looks like FedEx will be late - AGAIN!!!

When will people learn to SLOW DOWN when it's slippery???

And UPS. Logistics hate crime?

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A freezing rain can really catch you off guard sometimes. It can go from wet to greasy almost instantly. Slowing way down when it's wet won't win you any popularity contests then all of a sudden, slowed down is still way too fast.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I spent a week in PA once for work. I stayed in Clarion and worked in Brookville. It was summer time, thank goodness because I remember thinking that I would NOT want to drive on those hills if it was icy.

Prayers for the victims and their families.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It appears the bus started this cascade of wrecks.

I wonder if the driver has any infractions on his license?

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having trouble identifying the victims who didn't speak english.

hmmmm.

LOL
IC B3

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A report claimed the bus was weaving in and out of traffic.

Impaired driver?

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Occurred very close to my home...it was a bad deal. Please pray for all the families involved!!!

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rte
It appears the bus started this cascade of wrecks.

I wonder if the driver has any infractions on his license?

Or if he was non English speaking and had a license.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rain on frozen pavement gets real nasty, real fast...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bus started the incident....misjudged a curve, hit median on left lane side, which veered bus over to embankment on right lane side... bus overturned then slid back into on-coming traffic....then struck by 2 tractor trailers and a car.

Traffic was a MESS near my home.....had the PA Turnpike closed in both directions for 86 miles....lots of detoured vehicles not knowing where to go!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 01/07/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here is the update from nypost.com

The bus driver was a 52 year old Chinese. What the ****? I drove over the road for 8 years, never saw a Chinaman driving a big rig, or bus.
He took the curve too fast, he was coming down a steep hill, remember it was about 3 am. Probably tired.
Hit the New Jersey wall and crossed back across all lanes, then, went up onto a bank, rolled over on the side, and back onto the big road, the bus was on its side.
Wang Fu was dead.

Then the bus got hit by the Fed Ex 18 wheeler, and two passengers were thrown from the bus, and killed.
Then, a UPS big rig piled in and two drivers were killed in the UPS truck. These were undoubtably team drivers.

UPS is the premier job in the trucking industry, and they have top drivers and they get the top pay. Probably $100 K annually, maybe more, plus benefits. Same thing FedEx.

***************************************************************************************

New York Post
Facebook
Twitter
Flipboard
Email
Copy
NEWS
Three victims launched into roadway during fatal Pennsylvania crash
By Aaron FeisJanuary 6, 2020 | 2:44pm | Update
Pennsylvania Turnpike bus crash
AP
The New York-to-Ohio bus at the center of a massive Pennsylvania pile-up that left five people dead — including a 9-year-old Brooklyn girl — was hit with such force that three of the victims were ejected onto the roadway, authorities said Monday.

The gruesome detail emerged as investigators reconstructed the five-vehicle crash that unfolded early Sunday on a winding stretch of the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Mount Pleasant Township, about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh.

Horrific Pennsylvania pileup leaves 5 dead, dozens injured
The Z&D Tours bus, en route from New York’s Chinatown to Cincinnati, was rounding a downhill curve around 3:35 a.m. when it struck a barrier in the center of the turnpike, according to new information released by Pennsylvania State Police.

The bus then ricocheted up a steep embankment, rolled onto its side and slid back down onto the roadway and into the barrier, fatally throwing driver Shuang Qing Feng, 58, onto the highway, cops said.

A FedEx tractor-trailer then slammed into the disabled vehicle, ejecting two bus passengers — Eileen Zelis Aria, 35, and Jaremy Vazquez, 9 — to their deaths, and sending a cargo of parcels spilling out onto the blacktop, according to police.

All were city residents: Feng was from Queens, Aria from The Bronx and Jaremy from Brooklyn.

A UPS big rig then crunched the bus, killing two workers inside the truck’s cab, bringing the death toll to five, according to authorities.

They were identified as Pennsylvania residents Dennis Kehler, 48, and Daniel Kepner, 53.

A Mercedes then struck the side of the UPS tractor-trailer, and was in turn sandwiched against that vehicle by a second UPS truck, though the residents of those two vehicles were unharmed.

The five deceased were among approximately 60 people who suffered some degree of injury in the massive pile up.

Last edited by simonkenton7; 01/06/20.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Thrown from the bus? Don't those buses have seat belts?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
that area of the pike is a problem area. the pike goes across the top of the mountains for miles like a speedway and then starts down the western side with twists and turns and jersey barriers. trucks always dump on that stretch. people just go too damn fast. they've straightened and widened a lot but it is the westernmost descent of the alleghenies so there is only so much you can do.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Three thirty five in the morning, leaving New York City probably after dark well into the evening hours. A tough shift to drive.

Closest I've done is to drive school buses on long trips full of kids. Forty people weigh a whole lot, changes the entire driving characteristics of the bus.

Rainy night, icy roads, no relief driver mentioned. Musta been an absolutely horrible feeling when the driver felt that bus going out of his control.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've driven the PA turnpike many times. I hate those barriers. Any time you're in the lane next to the barrier, even on a bright summer day, it's basically white knuckle. Having a bus in that lane in the middle of the night with freezing rain is just a recipe for disaster.

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
313 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,994 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.