Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Hey dickweed, the next feeder went off in a half hour, 12 feeders, 6 hours, then start at the beginning again, oldtimers getting to you?"

I don't believe that either.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by victoro
"twelve corn feeders on timers, set to go off at half hour intervals"

I suspected you were a liar but this statement proves it. NOBODY in Texas has ever set a feeder to go off every 30 minutes.

I have 4 of them and all are hooked to a 20,000# silos. I have to get it refilled every month. $2,800/month but I am getting rich because I charge $1,500/month to hunt. Oh yeah Sandbilly, you might live in Texas but you are in no way, form, or fashion a Texan. It embarases me to hear you call yourself one of us.

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Hey dickweed, the next feeder went off in a half hour, 12 feeders, 6 hours, then start at the beginning again, oldtimers getting to you?"

I don't believe that either.

He's already proven himself to be a liar. Now he is trying to show the extent to which he will lie to talk himself out of the lie. I would rather have the hogs share my land with me than several of you whining, bitching, complaining boys that think you are owed something for free.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least long range requires some skill.A retarded monkey can load a feeder, huh Hanco?

JG wouldn’t know, the high fence hired help has the feeders loaded before he show up...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SandBilly
At least long range requires some skill.A retarded monkey can load a feeder, huh Hanco?

JG wouldn’t know, the high fence hired help has the feeders loaded before he show up...

J,

I sure don't know what's wrong in your life. Nor do I propose to tell you how to fix it.

But I do know that there's something very wrong. I suggest you start looking into that.

I'm ashamed for you. You aren't who everyone thought you were. Might be time to start changing that. frown (Not talking about changing what people think of you, but what's wrong. )

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I do have to climb up a ladder to fill my feeders.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

You need to upgrade, Amigo!

This type holds 600 lbs., and you can stand flatfooted and dump the feed in!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Of course if you program it to feed every 30 minutes, like Jimy said, you'll be filling it quite often! laugh laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3

Something else happened in the 80's that probably had more impact on hogs than the feeders...... Swine brucellosis was eradicated. Up until that time, the disease kept the feral hog populations in check.

I'm curious. If pigs are so hard to catch, how did they vaccinate all those wild ones to eradicate a disease? If they had them caught, why did they turn them loose again? They've been trying for years to eradicate it in buffalo and elk in Yellowstone but it's still there.
I'm not trying to be snide here. I'd just like to know how they could eradicate a disease like that?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

I'm not trying to be snide here. I'd just like to know how they could eradicate a disease like that?

Sure you are. No doubt.

Reckon he may have been talking about domestic hogs? wink

Swine brucellosis is an infectious disease of swine caused by Brucella suis (B. suis) biovars 1 or 3. Swine exposed to B. suis develop a bacteremia (bacterial infection in the blood). Infection can then localize in various tissues. The disease typically causes chronic inflammatory lesions in the reproductive organs which can cause abortions, infertility and low milk production. It may also localize in joints, leading to lameness. It’s important to note that swine brucellosis is potentially a zoonotic disease (people can contract it). People in direct contact with potentially infected swine should take precautions as directed by public health experts. Commercial swine in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are free from swine brucellosis. However, feral swine and domestic swine in close contact with them remain a reservoir in the U.S.

Treatment in affected animals is not curative. Disease prevention is the best approach since there is no vaccine or treatment for swine brucellosis.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ne-disease-information/swine-brucellosis

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Given a new 5 strand wire fence costs $15k/mile if hired out, I can't imagine spending the $$$$ to high fence 65k acrres?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s good exercise to fill feeders, I like throwing my money on the ground!

Last edited by hanco; 01/07/20.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I wish I had more traps like this, throws a handful of corn out every night at 9 pm. This pig had nice cutters, He was beat up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/07/20.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Probably beat himself up trying to get out of the trap.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Well retard you think we run those feeders to shoot the does? The feeders attract the does which attract the bigger bucks, otherwise you don't see many big bucks around the feeders. That said maintaining a feeder can be a pain in the @ss, pigs digging up the legs and tipping them over, cows just knocking them over. On the other hand what do you do? Watch trails? I tend to watch the trails leading from bedding areas to the feeders. You do know that the feeders make life easier for the deer providing protein when it is hard to come by in late winter right? Yes fill us in on your holier than ours deer hunting method.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hanco

I stand on the edge of my pickup bed living dangerously dumping 40# bags in at just over eye level. Screw the dickweed.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"If pigs are so hard to catch, how did they vaccinate all those wild ones to eradicate a disease?"

There's no way you could catch all the feral pigs and vaccinate them. Where did get that information? That's would be like trying to sterilize all the male feral pigs. They did wipe out all the screw worms in Texas by dropping sterilized male flies from airplanes all over Texas. It's hard to believe that worked.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"If pigs are so hard to catch, how did they vaccinate all those wild ones to eradicate a disease?"

There's no way you could catch all the feral pigs and vaccinate them. Where did get that information? That's would be like trying to sterilize all the male feral pigs. They did wipe out all the screw worms in Texas by dropping sterilized male flies from airplanes all over Texas. It's hard to believe that worked.

I was around when they did that. Found the little boxes the flies were dropped in, all over the ranch.

Screworms were a major issue to ranchers and livestock. Doctored many, many cattle for them. Lost a few calves too.

That program wiped out screworms, and the deer population explosion was a byproduct of it.

If the deer benefited massively, you know the feral hogs did too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
. They did wipe out all the screw worms in Texas by dropping sterilized male flies from airplanes all over Texas. It's hard to believe that worked.

I remember when I was a kid finding them little boxes they dropped the flies in way out in the pasture. They were a little cardboard box maybe 6" square. Had written on em what they were for.

I know one of the old ranchers up in Llano did say that the hog cholera that came thru in the late 50’s early 60’s did quite a number on all the pigs feral and domestic. But there were still lots of isolated pockets.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Barry I also remember when a kid, hearing about really old folks dying of screwworms. This was in south Texas and it was usually really old Mexican folks that lived out in the mesquites & brush by themselves. Remember hearimg it on the radio that was always on at my aunt's & uncle’s house. On the local news.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Did the cedar choppers have screwworm?

I am MAGA.
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 4th_point, 7mm_Loco, BALLISTIK, 5 invisible), 1,186 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,121
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.