Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Wanting to seNd a couple scopes in for reticle changes, does anyone have any insight on when or if they are going to continue to do this stuff? They might be making my next scope purchase a little easier to decide who to go with. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sell the ones you have and buy the ones you want.it will be cheaper

Last edited by 338rcm; 01/06/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Reticle changes got expensive before they shut the custom shop down and will probably be more expensive when they reopen. 338rcm has the right idea.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, sell and buy what you want.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I believe it was around $240 for a reticle change

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kidpower
Wanting to seNd a couple scopes in for reticle changes, does anyone have any insight on when or if they are going to continue to do this stuff? They might be making my next scope purchase a little easier to decide who to go with. Thanks

I think that Leupold is struggling to figure out the difference between the markets they want to be in and those that they can be successful in. By raising the price for reticle changes, they could very well alienate a significant portion of their tradition zero and forget it hunting market niche. I have a lot of Leupold scopes, but I'm unlikely to buy any new ones and I'm sure not going to pay over $200 for a simple reticle change. Maybe Ironsight, Inc., will add Leupolds to the other brands of scopes that they work on.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Maybe they raised the price, because they don’t want to do that work anymore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco

Customer service has to be both good and affordable if it is going to be of much benefit to the customer. Raising the price of a service to discourage customers from seeking that service seems like a good way to lose existing customers and does nothing to gain new customers, a lose/lose for the company.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the cost if you want a glossy finished scope is just silly. I run a manufacturing plant myself, and know you have to turn a profit on special requests, but...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't see how they could do much other than all the repairs they do under the lifetime warranty. Can't imagine it's a viable business model to keep repairing/replacing 50 year old scopes for the 3rd or 4th owner.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
How has the price of reticle changes moved over the last, say, fifteen years year on year?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
And the cost if you want a glossy finished scope is just silly. I run a manufacturing plant myself, and know you have to turn a profit on special requests, but...

Are you paying Oregon labor rates? How a west coast US company like Leupold can compete with most of the rest similarly priced/function with China, the Philippines and Japan I will never understand.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The cost of reticle changes might vary depending which reticle is wanted.

NRA Endowment Member
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Yes, I’ve thought about just selling the scopes, but I was just looking into the option of se ding them in, just very disappointing to here they were not doing custom shop work right now, from the talk I probably don’t want to pay what reticle changes cost either. Not to many years ago u could get one changed for 75 dollars

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

That makes sense. Making stuff to order and selling it at retail price+ probably pays off for them, but swapping out reticles on the cheap was likely costing them sales, and maybe losing them money on the work itself. I like good CS, but don't expect anyone to work for free, or less.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Are you paying Oregon labor rates? How a west coast US company like Leupold can compete with most of the rest similarly priced/function with China, the Philippines and Japan I will never understand.

Technology and perfection (S)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by kidpower

I think that Leupold is struggling to figure out the difference between the markets they want to be in and those that they can be successful in. By raising the price for reticle changes, they could very well alienate a significant portion of their tradition zero and forget it hunting market niche. I have a lot of Leupold scopes, but I'm unlikely to buy any new ones and I'm sure not going to pay over $200 for a simple reticle change. Maybe Ironsight, Inc., will add Leupolds to the other brands of scopes that they work on.

Now that Leupold wants $200, instead of $75, that's more likely.

I've started buying Burris.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A reticle-swap business sounds like a good start-up for someone here.

I'm sure with initial outlay to ramp-up, marketing etc, additional help once you're off the schneid (and time dealing with fickle customers) you'll see what the actual value of the service entails. How hard can it be, right? whistle whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
A reticle-swap business sounds like a good start-up for someone here.

I'm sure with initial outlay to ramp-up, marketing etc, additional help once you're off the schneid (and time dealing with fickle customers) you'll see what the actual value of the service entails. How hard can it be, right? whistle whistle

Schneid? How hard can it be?.....2 jumbo packs of black permanent markers and a ruler and I’m making bank.

PM me your wants and needs. Include a hand drawn example of how you want your new reticle...Fast turn-a-round. Beaver aims to please.

PS

I’m also doing custom stock painting...Keep that on the low-low right now though....Thanks! 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beav,
Don't forget to add a utility knife or scribe to the list of supplies should some desire an etched reticle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 163bc, 34 invisible), 2,571 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.