Print Thread
Hop To
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought two 100 packs of Winchester Super X High Velocity 22 Long Rifle. I meant to buy two packs of 1280 FPS, but got quite a surprise when I got home that the one was marked 1435 FPS! I don't even think I want to try that stuff in a bolt action much less a semi-auto! Has anybody used that stuff?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Its thought of in lots of corners as one of the most accurate of the non-premium ammo. I buy it and like it. A lot.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Shoots really well out of my CZ! You can definitely see the difference on impact!

MAGA! This is the way!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't tried that ammo. I did try some of the Aquilla Super Maximum 30 gr. one time and my rifle didn't like it, 2" groups at 50 yds.

CCI now makes Copper 22, a 21 gr. bullet that they advertise at 1850 fps. Haven't tried any.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbrmike
I bought two 100 packs of Winchester Super X High Velocity 22 Long Rifle. I meant to buy two packs of 1280 FPS, but got quite a surprise when I got home that the one was marked 1435 FPS! I don't even think I want to try that stuff in a bolt action much less a semi-auto! Has anybody used that stuff?

It shouldn't hurt a rifle or pistol. CCI Velocitors have the same velocity as do a .22lr load from Browning. I've shot the CCI Velocitors out of 2 semi-auto rifles, a pistol and a revolver with no problems from the guns. I also have some 42gr Winchester Super-X that run in the 1350fps range that's been shot out of semi-autos only and hasn't caused any problems.

Now granted they don't group worth a schitt out of any of my guns (I haven't shot any of the Browning ammo yet), but none of it hasn't hurt any of them. I've had the best results with Eley's HV offerings, Eley Force and Eley HV Hollow which are both 40grs at around 1350fps.

I think a bolt-action might be a better option for shooting the hyper-velocity ammo.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They shoot well enough in my rifles, in fact, that's the best offering from Winchester/Browning, as far as accuracy, anyway. I can't get the regular SuperX or even the formerly good PowerPoints to shoot worth a dang, let alone the bulk stuff. In truth, I just won't buy Winchester, Remington, or Federal rimfire ammo any longer.

I have my better results with Aguila, CCI, or RWS/Geco, Lapua shoots well, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is the same ammo as the Browning, I believe. Winchester makes Browning ammo.

I bought a couple of boxes, but got FTFs in two different rifles. Accuracy wasn't anythng special either, so I'm sticking with Velociters for this category, and the remnant goes in the pistol pile. Probably just a bad lot, but I won't suffer ammo that doesn't go bang. If it shoots okay for others, they can go for it. A review of .22 performance in a special varmint mag from Wolfe had it expanding and penetrating well, right along with Velociters.

Flave likes the Browning version, IIRC, wherever he is.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sbrmike: Yes I have a bunch of it.
It's kinda new and I bought it "by mistake" myself the first go round!
I used it on Gophers with dramatic effect. Its shoots OK (at least) at the range out of a couple of my heavy barrel higher quality 22 Rifles (Kimber H/S and Remington 40x) but like you, I had some hesitancy in using it.
I do so like and admire the "regular" 40 grain Winchester Power-Points at 1,280 FPS - and they have been proven as a superb small game and Varmint round = very accurate and very lethal.
I have about 10 of the 100 packs of the 1,435 FPS stuff left and will use it up and probably not replace it.
I think I have a "match chamber" in my Remington 40X and probably in my Kimber H/S (Hunter/Silhouette) so don't want to foul those up.
I have NOT used the 1,435 FPS 40 grainers in any of my semi-automatic Varmint Rifles or pistols - so can't comment there.
Good luck if you decide to try them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I have NEVER had a failure to fire with the 1,435 FPS ammo - probably shot 500+ of them to date.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As noted above that’s the same weight and velocity as CCI Velocitors, which shoot tiny little knots in my 10-22T

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I bought a case of 'em... Very hot stuff - used only in the revolvers or bolt action/lever action rifles... Do NOT use 'em in semi-autos...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Redneck
I bought a case of 'em... Very hot stuff - used only in the revolvers or bolt action/lever action rifles... Do NOT use 'em in semi-autos...

Work great in semi-autos. What's the worry?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I haven't tried that ammo. I did try some of the Aquilla Super Maximum 30 gr. one time and my rifle didn't like it, 2" groups at 50 yds.

CCI now makes Copper 22, a 21 gr. bullet that they advertise at 1850 fps. Haven't tried any.

tried the CCI copper ammo, sucks, shot it in some highly accurate 22 only to get 1" groups at 50 yards.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by Redneck

Work great in semi-autos. What's the worry?
Seriously?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Redneck: I would also have to inquire - if these cartridges were somehow unsafe in a semi-auto 22 caliber firearm wouldn't the fine folks at Winchester (or Browning!) put a warning or disclaimer on their cartridge boxes?
After all there are about 6,000,000 (six million!) Ruger 10/22 "semi-auto's", alone, out there!
If you have a correction for me please cite same or relay your experiences.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I shoot a ton of these in my 10/22 with a Benz chamber because the Stingers won't chamber in it. Haven't seen any problems yet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Redneck: I would also have to inquire - if these cartridges were somehow unsafe in a semi-auto 22 caliber firearm wouldn't the fine folks at Winchester (or Browning!) put a warning or disclaimer on their cartridge boxes?
After all there are about 6,000,000 (six million!) Ruger 10/22 "semi-auto's", alone, out there!
If you have a correction for me please cite same or relay your experiences.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It's not on the box - it's in the operating manuals of some of the semi-auto rifles... However, and I've should have expanded my reply, this may NOT apply to the newer models of semi-autos which are designed to accept the hotter rounds.. Earlier models, when this type of ammo was not available, may suffer bolt/receiver issues and/or buffer fractures when these rounds are used.. Seen that - often..

I wouldn't use 'em in, say, a Rem M550, M66 or similar.. Ruger 10-22s for example are OK but they do warn not to use Stinger rounds in a few of their models..

Anytime you're going from standard velocity to 'hyper-velocity' rounds (nearly 15% hotter) the owner should be very aware as to safety in their particular firearm.. Use at your discretion.. FWIW..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 20 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.