Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Did Ruger ever produce the Redhawk with a nickel finish? Thanks for any and all information! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless there's some one of a kind specimen floating around they were blued and stainless only .

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I agree with Jim, although sometimes people will polish a stainless one and it might look like nickel.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
memtb Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Thanks guys! I know that I couldn’t find any references to nickel, unless it was a special order or custom by a gunsmith. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Unless there's some one of a kind specimen floating around they were blued and stainless only .

This is the answer.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned several Redhawks and have never even seen one with a nickel finish. As the others have said, Blued and Stainless only, with the latter coming out about half a decade before the former.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am not aware of a nickel finish. I do have High polished stainless model that they made for a few years.

Correction on that: the high polished model I have is a Super Redhawk. My Redhawks are a brushed finish.

Last edited by ldmay375; 01/11/20. Reason: Correction
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by lastround
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

This is the answer.

PREZACTLY

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ruger used to offer some revolvers with a high polish finish like to original stainless Vaqueros had.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by anachronism
Ruger used to offer some revolvers with a high polish finish like to original stainless Vaqueros had.

To my knowledge, Ruger has also never produced a high polish Redhawk either

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by anachronism

To my knowledge, Ruger has also never produced a high polish Redhawk either

Nope. Not a Factory Redhawk.

I’ve seen where someone hand polished a stainless gun with Flitz to make it look like that, though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we are talking Redhawks, and not to completely sidetrack this OP’s thread, I have a question. At some point in the mid to late eighties, and only for a short while, Ruger switched the hammer pivot pin flat from the right side of the gun to the left side. Maybe a year latter, they switched back to the right side. Does anybody know why this was done? I have owned two, both a five and a half and a seven and a half that were made this way. All the rest of my Redhawks have been on the right. I have never been able to get an answer to this question.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since we are talking Redhawks, and not to completely sidetrack this OP’s thread, I have a question. At some point in the mid to late eighties, and only for a short while, Ruger switched the hammer pivot pin flat from the right side of the gun to the left side. Maybe a year latter, they switched back to the right side. Does anybody know why this was done? I have owned two, both a five and a half and a seven and a half that were made this way. All the rest of my Redhawks have been on the right. I have never been able to get an answer to this question.

No thoughts on this?

Doug
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

No thoughts on this?

lastround, mine is a 1983 5.5" Redhawk. Is this what you are asking about, as in mine is on the left side? I'm not sure but I thought the first ones that came out in like '79 were like that and the in '84 they switched to the other side for some reason.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smoking gun,
Thanks for chiming in. No, the first ones were on the right. I have a 1981 Model now and used to have a 1980 model. Both were right side models. I also have a Shooting Times magazine in which the Redhawk was introduced to readers by Skeeter Skelton, first year production. The pictures in the magazine show the flat of the hammer pivot pin also on the right. The switch to the left side, as your picture shows, evidently occurred in about 1983, but didn’t last long since it was back on the right side on my 1987 Model. It is no big deal, just a curiosity of mine. Those left side models may even have more collector value down the road.

By the way, where did those nice looking grips on your gun come from?

Last edited by lastround; 01/16/20.

Doug
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
last round,

That's good info, I always hoped that made it more collectable. The Ruger forum might be a good place to check.

Thanks, they are Altamont Grips. I couldn't find them on their website but I think they are the Silverblack checkered laminate grips. I'm guessing as they make grips they update the website to show the ones that are available.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Smoking gun,
Thanks for chiming in. No, the first ones were on the right. I have a 1981 Model now and used to have a 1980 model. Both were right side models. I also have a Shooting Times magazine in which the Redhawk was introduced to readers by Skeeter Skelton, first year production. The pictures in the magazine show the flat of the hammer pivot pin also on the right. The switch to the left side, as your picture shows, evidently occurred in about 1983, but didn’t last long since it was back on the right side on my 1987 Model. It is no big deal, just a curiosity of mine. Those left side models may even have more collector value down the road.

By the way, where did those nice looking grips on your gun come from?

My current Redhawk is from the first year, and likely the first production run and it's on the right side of the frame. I thought I had heard that there was a change in the frame mould design and the the LT sided hammer pins were from an interim frame mould series. I've heard that the LT side hammer pins are a pain in the neck with some grip designs. David Bradshaw drilled and tapped his LT side Redhawk to hold the pin in with a screw. I seen pics of it, andhave heard of others doing it as well.

Those who believe there is safety in numbers never heard of Auschwitz- Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the addition of non-stock grips caused a problem, it had to be because of a speed loader cut out. Otherwise the grips lay against the flat and keep the pivot pin from vibrating out a bit while firing, which would be the only problem that would require a screw. There would not have been a problem with factory style grips as I am sure Smokinggun can attest. There could, I suppose, be a problem with poorly designed after-market grips. And, the grips have to be removed for any disassembly. Thanks for your thoughts, Anachronism.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi Sarge,
That is a nice article on the Redhawk, but it refers to the reference model as being a ‘79 Model. The picture shows a blued model, which were not introduced by Ruger until several years later. I assume the pictured gun is not the one referenced in the article. Or, could it have been that a blued gun was shown by mistake?

Doug
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.