Charge weight ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by roninflag
165 solid base . varget. lapua brass. 210 m

Good to know there THE answer is right there, thanks to the Campfire!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't know the tally of WT deer I've killed with

HBTSPs. They work reliably.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a bunch of those solid bases.
Time to load and test.

Last edited by splattermatic; 01/09/20.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For deer at 300 or less I now just buy the Winchester Deer Season XP load at about $17 a box and available just about anywhere. It’s a solid-base bullet so 300 sounds like a sensible range and the darn things kill deer like lightning and have been accurate in every rifle I’ve tried or seen them tried in.

My current deer rifle shoots it into 3/4” groups all day long, giving me great confidence out to 300 yards, which coincidentally happens to be the absolute max range I could expect on my main deer hunting property.

I simply can’t load better for less money, and when factoring time into the equation, it’s not even close.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm down from back surgery right now.
I have @ 2 more months to go before I might get released.
I have time to load !!
I think I have some brand new nickle cases around here some where ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JDK
Timely post as I will be hunting the Allegheny NF for the first time ever this coming season. I was thinking about using my 7600 carbine but leaning towards something else right now. Was fretting over bullets but figure if it kills a deer here in Maine I should be able to do the same there.

I will be wearing wool however.

The ANF is a beautiful place. I grew up deer & bear hunting there.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Teeder
Originally Posted by JDK
Timely post as I will be hunting the Allegheny NF for the first time ever this coming season. I was thinking about using my 7600 carbine but leaning towards something else right now. Was fretting over bullets but figure if it kills a deer here in Maine I should be able to do the same there.

I will be wearing wool however.

The ANF is a beautiful place. I grew up deer & bear hunting there.

We are looking foreword to going. None of us have been before but that is how you learn

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nothing fancier than Sierra 165 Game Kings for me, accurate and kill whitetails with authority. 56gr. of IMR 4350 is my go to load in .30-06, 48gr. of IMR 4064 works well too.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We wouldn't be Loonies, would we, if we didn't fret and stress over the exact right bullet to use. grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Since I have load time on my hands, once I finish 257 Weatherby's, I'm going to do some -06's.
I'm going to go with a starting load of 57 grs of imr4350, and a 165 gr solid base, at 0.030 off.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Then there's the rule that the tinier the minutiae, the longer the thread....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Then there's the rule that the tinier the minutiae, the longer the thread....

Hahaha...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good point. I'm wondering why some Remington '06 brass has different sized "R-P" on the headstamps. I swear it accounts for the .023" larger groups I'm getting at 200 yards...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
My experience with the 30-06 on whitetails in PA started in 2010. Since then I've probably taken close to 20 deer using the 150gr Sierra Gameking handloaded at 2850/2900fps. One year I tried 180gr Gamekings and shot a buck in the thick stuff at less than 20yds. He trotted off like nothing happened and my brother shot him again 100 yards above me. There were 2 holes less than 2 inches apart. That particular bullet did not expand well and I went back to the 150s as they always did the job and made holes that leaked on both sides. This year I mixed it up a bit and used a .270 Win and 130gr Gamekings with equally fine results. Anyway, that is my personal experience and, as already said, most any weight 30cal bullet will get the job done.

More importantly, enjoy your time at camp and the camaraderie amongst friends. Nothing quite like deer camp here in PA. Due to callous greed and conflicting personalities, the third generation deer camp and property I have been a part of since I could walk is being sold. This was the last season before being locked out. I am at a loss and it really stings...I have no idea where to hunt next season. So, meet up with your friend and get out there, for no one knows what the future may hold.

This year for the first time I used the 150 gr. Sierra Game King, @ 2900 fps, from a .30-'06 instead of the 180 gr. Hornady RN for deer hunting. It worked well. The buck was about 30 yds. away when I shot him through both lungs. He dropped in his tracks. I only mention that, because it was the first one I've had do that that wasn't hit in bone or cns. The bullet passed through and hit a tree behind him.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Just close your eyes and pick one. I doubt there's a .30 bullet made that won't kill a whitetail deer.

More important concerns: Yuengling's vs. Straub's for hunting camp libation. Scrapple vs. smoked sausage for breakfast. Woolrich vs. camo. Lebanon baloney vs. ham for the deer stand sandwich.

Listen to this man. Every once in a while, he's right. And this happens to be one of those times.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
RN bullets are fine to use. And it might be smart to buy some.

RNs remained popular well into the smokeless era because of the lead bullets that preceded them. If you were designing jacketed bullets at the turn of the 20th century, RNs would be "de rigueur". IOW, that was the style at the time. Why change it?

Progress is a good thing however. Since emerging from the dark age of firearms (the late 1800s), we have seen huge advances in bullet technology. Shape, materials used, construction, tip types laugh etc. It's all good. Computer technology gave the firearms/ammunition world another huge push, and the changes are accelerating. Everything is better than ever!

...but if you are woods hunting and come across a box or two of cheap RNs, grab them! Cutting edge is not always necessary. Since fewer reloaders want them, they can be cheap to buy. When I am at gun shows, I see these boxes on a regular basis. They work just fine, but don't have pretty coloured tips or a sexy shape. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As I'm digging in my gun stuff, I'm coming across stuff I forgot I had.
I've got almost 3 full box's of 150 gr tsx's.
Think I'm going to load some of those up first.
Now to choose a powder.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's always fun to root through the bench and clean things up. You never know what you'll find. . A couple of months ago, my grandson found a big box of goodies I put away 10 yrs ago. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

589 members (257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 66 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.