Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I wonder how long Leupold will last without going bankrupt or selling out to another company? I'm not a Leupold basher as most of my scopes are Leupolds. The last scopes I bought are used ones off the classifieds because the new scopes don't meet what I want. My BIL bought a vari-x IIc silver 4x12. It went tits up so he sent it back. When he got it back the scope was full of water. He called CS and explained the problem. They sent a shipping lable and back it went. He just got notified the tube is cracked and can't be fixed. The CS guy offered several scopes to replace it. My BIL asked "Do you make silver scopes"? Answer - no. "Do you make gloss scopes"? Answer - no. "How about a fixed 18x or 20x"
Answer - "The only fixed target scope we make is 45x". They finally agreed on a scope. I'm thinking the Leupold owners have squeezed the tit almost dry! It is wonderful Leupold still tries to make it right if your forever scope fails. Too bad it must be something many won't want to replace it. I guess we can sell the new scope and search for an acceptable replacement.
Dave

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious what % of their profits come from Law Enforcement and Military sales..........they are not the same company no doubt.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I wonder how much of their problem is that they can't compete price-wise since most of their stuff is made here?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
There is a lot of Rifle scopes better then the new leupold. Nikon ,Swift,Trijicon, Sig, Bushnell, All great made plus the 2 top Germany ones Swarovski,Ziess

A
ATC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by savage62
There is a lot of Rifle scopes better then the new leupold. Nikon ,Swift,Trijicon, Sig, Bushnell, All great made plus the 2 top Germany ones Swarovski,Ziess

You can scratch Nikon off that list. They are getting out of the rifle scope business.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I wonder how much of their problem is that they can't compete price-wise since most of their stuff is made here?

Other then the scope tubes and anodizing what else is made here?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They'll go overseas before they go broke, though if they have military contracts, that may keep manufacture of those products here.

They may even decide to correct their issues, but I ain't holding my breath.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think Leupold has focused too much on features. They also seem to cater much more to “long range” vs every hunter I know who keeps his shots inside 350 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see it quite differently. Too much emphasis on glass and light weight and not enough on robust mechanicals.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A simple 3-9x40 with absolutely reliable adjustments would get a lot done.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Who here has proof leupold is having any financial difficulties?
Are they laying off or hiring? What is their cash reserve? Their actual market share?

How much have they made or lost in the most recent 5 years?

Last edited by battue; 01/08/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They are looking for someone that knows the business.
Here is your chance to save them.

https://www.leupold.com/careers/job?gnk=job&gni=8a7885a86f1c2f92016f1f58ca994c18

Last edited by battue; 01/08/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You know Mathman, I suggested that very thing about 5-6 months ago and King Shane posed " his man shaking his head picture" like I was some dumbass. Most of Leupold's problems could be rectified w/a better/tougher erector system. It might cost $10 a unit but would cut their repair and disgruntled customers way down. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At age 69 I remember the heyday of gun mags. Seems like the dominate picture on the cover of many mags for many years was an old Mod. 70 or a custom Mauser with a Leupold scope sitting on it. Never heard much complaining about the Leupold scopes. Most hunters zeroed the scope, learned hold over at the range and went hunting.

Then came the sniper movies, the long range shooting at game on TV with spectacular first shot hits and never wounding an animal. No way they will take a shot under 500 yards, lets dial and film it. In the meantime, thousands of hunters fill the freezer every year with "set and forget" scopes.

I would think there is room for both types of shooters. If you want to dial, grab a Nightforce, SWFA, or some other scope with a good dialing erector system. If you want to be a "set and forget" scope user then that is ok and it has been proven to put meat in the freezer.

I would love to see Leupold or some one else come up with a scope that is a reliable dialer, light weight and offers good glass and eye relief. I am sure some scientist some where could do it, but I doubt I could afford it if they did.

I hope Leupold improves their reliability and their employees keep their jobs. Does any one know if they have a new "bean counter" there?

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I meet none of the qualifications for the job. It seems it has become "take it or leave it". I'll keep buying their older products. How does that help the company?
Not everyone wants to shoot 1000 yards, shoot deer in the next county, and hunt at night. Leupold seems to be losing many of it's core base customers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I like Leupold scopes and have three VX3i that work great. I also have Burris Simmons Weaver & Redfield. and only the RedField has need for repair.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Granted I have a few Leupold scopes. I think I have sent in a few more than I would have liked. The last one was very difficult to change the power ring. I probably have more M8 scopes than anything else and I've not had a problem with them.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
Who here has proof leupold is having any financial difficulties?
Are they laying off or hiring? What is their cash reserve? Their actual market share?

How much have they made or lost in the most recent 5 years?

You took the words right out of my mouth........

Since Leupold is a private entity, unless theres some inside information someone knows, you'll have a better chance of pole vaulting 20ft in the next Olypics games than getting financial proof.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Time will tell .....

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by savage62

Swarovski is Austrian...……………………...just saying.:-)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.