Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I seem to recall reading on this website that meat wrapped in cling film and then wrapped in butcher paper last longer in the freezer than vacuum sealed packages?

Any truth to that? With late season elk success I'll be freezing a good bit of meat.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I doubt that true as vacuum packed removes all the air. I have eaten moose meat vacuum packed 4 years earlier and it was just as good as the first year .

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I doubt that true as vacuum packed removes all the air. I have eaten moose meat vacuum packed 4 years earlier and it was just as good as the first year .

I think it was more because being plastic, the vacuum wrap gets holes poked in it from being moved around in the freezer and then you get freezer burn. If no holes,I would assume it is true. A frost free freezer will do more damage than one that isn't.I wrap all mine in freezer paper. Plastic coated on one side. I have meat that is 5-6 years old and there is no problem with it. I do a store it in the freezer in big zip lock bags, about 8 pieces to a bag, but that is more for convenience in moving it around.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vacuum pack is what I use. I try to have the freezer cleaned out before hunting season. Never had a problem.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook

I think it was more because being plastic, the vacuum wrap gets holes poked in it from being moved around in the freezer and then you get freezer burn. If no holes,I would assume it is true. A frost free freezer will do more damage than one that isn't.I wrap all mine in freezer paper. Plastic coated on one side. I have meat that is 5-6 years old and there is no problem with it. I do a store it in the freezer in big zip lock bags, about 8 pieces to a bag, but that is more for convenience in moving it around.

Mine comes packaged the same way from the processor. I have some stuff in there that's 3-4 years old that's eaten just fine. I use old cardboard boxes to segregate stuff inside my chest freezer.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
We use a vacuum sealer only for irregular shaped stuff like birds and fish. Like saddlesore, we use freezer paper on big game (which we butcher ourselves, rotating it between two 15-cubic-foot, non-frostfree chest freezers, one upstairs next to the kitchen filled with the oldest meat for everyday use, and one in the basement we top off every year as a "savings account."

We're generally eating game from 3-4 years ago, and none is freezer-burned. Once even found a package of elk steak that had somehow made it through our annual freeer-shuffle and inventory for 9 years. It had a slight amount of freezer burn on one end, but was perfectly edible.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thank you for your replies.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use a lot of the one gallon twist tie bags for putting my meat in whether vacuum packing or just packing it in plastic freezer bags.I have had meat stored this way three years without freezer burn stored in the twist tie bags inside the plastic freezer bags.I really works great when grinding the meat for packing.I just put the bag over the head of my grinder and let the ground meat go right into the bag.When used when vacuum packing,it helps to keep the blood or liquid from getting sucked into your machine.Sure is an easy,less mess way to do it and extends the life in the freezer too.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by baldhunter; 01/08/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
when I process meat, I use those same twist tie bags and then wrap in freezer paper. Does a great job. I have had meat up to 4 years frozen with no freezer burn.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Steve Rinella from Meateater does the cling and paper for his game. Processor I use does it as well. Stuff i do i vacuum pack.

IC B3

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using plastic wrap and good quality freezer paper for years. Works great. My wife wraps it though as she just has a way for getting it so it stacks in the freezer just perfectly.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

TexasPhotog, My wife has used the plastic wrap, over-wrapped with freezer paper for many years. We’ve used meat that was in the chest freezer for 3 years.....couldn’t tell that it wasn’t fresh! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We don't keep meat around more tha a couple of years. The plastic film and butcher paper works fine for that, and our freezer is a frost free.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can’t tell the difference. Wrap it TIGHT. I get a big box of plastic wrap from Sam’s and secure it to the counter. Pull, press, wrap several times over. Then butcher paper.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had best results with cling wrap and butcher paper. The local processors use cling wrap and a vacumn sealer (as have I) but I've had too many bags break their seal in the freezer (from processors and doing it myself).

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Foodsaver

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had excellent results with Press'n Seal. Sticks better to itself so you can easily conform it to the shape of the meat and get all the air out. Then overwrap with freezer paper. Now that they have a freezer version of Press'n Seal maybe you could do without the freezer paper. But my freezer is an upright and I can do with the extra friction of paper to keep stuff from sliding out.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
Can’t tell the difference. Wrap it TIGHT. I get a big box of plastic wrap from Sam’s and secure it to the counter. Pull, press, wrap several times over. Then butcher paper.

I do the same. I’ve got roasts get lost in the shuffle for 5 years and be just fine.

I tried the vacuum packing thing. Majority seemed to get pin holes from handling.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Huge differences in bags in toughness, but mostly thickness. Not banging the stuff around and using the good, heavy bags makes the vacuum packer the fastest and easiest and I think the stuff keeps better.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
that meat wrapped in cling film and then wrapped in butcher paper last longer

Cookie and I are older than dirt and have gone both ways. All total about 50 cubic feet of freezer space in the house and we use it. Idealy, one would like to live on an annual schedule, but we'll at times maybe score something like 3 elk and 3 deer in a single fall. That lead to some aging.

Vacuum vs Saran Wrap? For meats, the best performer for us is a tight Saran followed with a tight drugstore wrap of butcher paper. We just did a long overdue defrost and I pulled out several of our larger cuts and burger packs going back 10+ years with zero freezer burn. Also seems one has more control over shaping packages going the manual Saran wrap/paper route, and with its pliable clingy nature, there's virtually no air beneath the wrap. Working through the burger now and doing some jerky with the larger roast cuts. Vacuum is fine, but we will get sealing failures with some that over time allow burning. Also the excesses of material around the edges and ends of the vacuum bags makes for inefficient use of space in ones freezers. That's especially a problem in uprights where stacked packages tend to slide off shelves. Less of an issue in chest units, but still a lot of wasted space.

Another couple things with our meats is that everything is boned. No sharp points to pierce wrappings. Two, we wrap and freeze larger chunks and do not slice steaks until we're in the thawing process. Must less exposed surface area with that method.

I think some of our vacuum failures are due to fluids being sucked out and hindering the heat sealing to some degree.

We still go the vacuum route mostly with fruits (peaches/cherries/berries/some fish/etc) as they are products that we don't want to crush when attempting to get the air out with Saran Wrap. When vacuuming those we use something like a chubby soup can with both ends cut out to tube feed the goods into the bags. That helps one keep the upper interior surfaces dry to facilitate sealing. For things like whole birds etc, it's wash, as there will be voids regardless of method. Hence avoid extended storage.

Finally, one can pick up an industrial sized roll of Saran wrap at Costco that will be 18 inches wide and thousands of feet long dirt cheap. It will do most households for decades. Same for the paper and it would be handy to also maybe get a rack for at least the paper and tape allowing one to rapidly rip off desired size pieces. The vacuum folks have one by the short hairs and at about 3 times the cost for the tubes. As to process speed, I think it's a wash. Regardless of method, two workers, with one handling product and the other doing the wrapping, makes for speedy work. A pain in the butt though if one is working by himself.

Have a good one and best of luck,

Last edited by 1minute; 01/10/20.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.