Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Been tossing around the idea of replacing my Burris ff3 with a scope.
Anybody using scopes, pros and cons for each please. Any info appreciated

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Rookie turkey guy - stating that up front.

I went with a Nikon Turkey Pro scope with the circle reticle. IMHO, the circle gave me a better idea of the pattern impact at 30-40 yards, and where the density was going to be.

The thing I found challenging was getting a consistent pattern, before sighting in the scope. I really spent more time selecting the load, than dealing with the scope.

Shotgun is an older Mossberg 835 with a no-name "dead coyote" type choke, that has been a decent patterning combo with most loads.

I have not connected yet, but had it ready on a few birds over the past few years - haven't seen any reason that it needs changed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've taken turkeys with scoped and unscoped shotguns and much prefer using a scope. I have a Bushnell 1.75-4 with a circle x reticle and like AH64guy's Nikon it gives a real nice aiming point with the idea of where your pattern will impact. It also brightens up the woods and can make it easier to see a small beard on a Jake. A scope will also eliminate the problem of picking your head up off the stock to get a better look at the bird and resulting in missing high. I can't think of any cons.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ll have to check them out. The only ones I’ve looked through on a gun is the leaupold vxr and the trigicon.

Are either of y’all a illuminates?

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have illuminatede vxrs on my deer guns and thought that would be a good compromise of red dot and scope on a turkey gun.

I just put a burris FF3 on my franchi affinity and recently added a sumtoy mount trying to get it lower where you're going the opposite way.

I'll admit O like the weaver base if I take the red dot off and I can use it as a normal gun.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
I am using, of all things, a $40 Tasco World Class 1.5-4.5 from walmart. Surprisingly clear. Has held zero under heavy recoil so far, but I may have got the only good one in existence. ymmv.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I’ll have to check them out. The only ones I’ve looked through on a gun is the leaupold vxr and the trigicon.

Not mine.When it's legal shooting hours, I can see the reticle just fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like some sort of sight on a turkey gun because it eliminates the tendency to peek over the rib and shoot high. However, in turkey hunting you're shooting at ranges less than 50 yards at a more or less stationary target, with a shotgun. You've got a sweet spot that's 8-10 inches in diameter, not a fraction of an inch like with a rifle. Calling in a turkey is hard. Shooting one is the easiest shot in hunting. A set of fiber optic open sights is plenty, a red dot is a luxury and, IMO, a scope is just an extra pound of weight to lug around, mounted just where you want to wrap your hand to carry the gun.

Last edited by natman; 01/08/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Use to use scopes on most of my Turkey guns but now use a FF3 which I much prefer

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Have a leupold 2x7 turkey and a vortex 1x which i prefer. 1x is plenty and it only weighs 6 oz.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AH64guy
. . . I went with a Nikon Turkey Pro scope with the circle reticle. .

Which are damned hard to find these days.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by auk1124
I am using, of all things, a $40 Tasco World Class 1.5-4.5 from walmart. Surprisingly clear. Has held zero under heavy recoil so far, but I may have got the only good one in existence. ymmv.

LMAO! I have on of those I put on my .45 Colt lever gun. Actually worked just fine. Have since replaced it with a Leupold 2-7x33mm Shotgun scope. Was pretty surprised how well that Tasco worked tho.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by natman
I like some sort of sight on a turkey gun because it eliminates the tendency to peek over the rib and shoot high. However, in turkey hunting you're shooting at ranges less than 50 yards at a more or less stationary target, with a shotgun. You've got a sweet spot that's 8-10 inches in diameter, not a fraction of an inch like with a rifle. Calling in a turkey is hard. Shooting one is the easiest shot in hunting. A set of fiber optic open sights is plenty, a red dot is a luxury and, IMO, a scope is just an extra pound of weight to lug around, mounted just where you want to wrap your hand to carry the gun.

Not quite... my turkey gun is a 3-4 inch pattern at 30 yards. I run a Burris FFIII on a Speed Bead

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

.22 Hornet over 12 gauge with turkey scope- circle over cross hairs and if head fills circle, use shotgun! If body fits, use Hornet.

Rifle good for kills out to 125 yards or so. Have shot several gobblers feeding or running at 75 + yards. Rifle also good for coyotes, raccoons, and prairie dogs.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Weaver 1.5X5 with a diamond reticle. It's an older scope and I don't believe they make it anymore, but it works great.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by AH64guy
. . . I went with a Nikon Turkey Pro scope with the circle reticle. .

Which are damned hard to find these days.

The wise man (not me) would have bought every one that Camofire had on sale a few years back...can't believe what they bring today.

I saw this one CDNN, and thought it might make a decent bird gun scope.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-1-75-4x32-trophy-xlt-circle-x-realtree-ap.html#.XhiDVchKiCg

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER

No - and I wouldn't need illumination were I would be hunting, as a rule.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Due to the unobtainium of the Nikon Turkey Pro and/or Leupold w/Turkey Plex, I grabbed a Konus 1.5-5. Haven't had an opportunity to shoot the gun with it mounted. Crossing my fingers that it holds up.

Konus 1.5-5

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by crshelton
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

.22 Hornet over 12 gauge with turkey scope- circle over cross hairs and if head fills circle, use shotgun! If body fits, use Hornet.

Rifle good for kills out to 125 yards or so. Have shot several gobblers feeding or running at 75 + yards. Rifle also good for coyotes, raccoons, and prairie dogs.

You must have a good one. I have the same in 223 & 12 gauge and the shot patter is quite a bit lower... about 6 inches so I have to hold up higher when using the shotgun.

I'm still experimenting with mine and think a lower red dot may help. Or high rings with a gap under them so I can see the iron sights or bead.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
What in the world do you want to carry a scope around for? I walk too much to go adding weight.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.