Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
There is a repair/retrofit facility for US military helicopters south of me that's close to Lexington Ky. & I get a lot of traffic over my house for what I assume are test flights.

But yesterday the helo traffic was heavier than I've ever seen & all coming from the east by northeast. I didn't keep an exact count but 10-12 individual groups went through. Please excuse my forgetfulness of AFROTC & not know knowing a flight from a wing or squad, etc.but 6-8 choppers at a time. They shook the house all day.

Maybe going to the repair facility, maybe Ft. Campbell. Curious as to where they might have come from.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Gunzo I’m 15 miles south of the Ft campbell

Had Apache gunships every 30 minutes doing their thing over the house yesterday.

But that’s typical for a sunny day

What type birds were they? crash hawks? Chinooks? Little birds?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Were they "black" helicopters? grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My friend lives near Fort Hood. He said air traffic seems to be ramped up there too!

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Their route used to come directly over my house,...usually flying low,..maybe 400'. It was an everyday thing when I first moved here but I haven't seen them in a while.

IC B2

G
gunzo Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
The ones I watched were Chinooks & Blackhawks mostly but I didn't look at every group.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

I don't talk about that anymore. I used to tell my wife I'd be home if the black helicopters didn't get me. Then one afternoon one of them circled my house, 5 times, really low. I couldn't decide if I should run inside & grab the M1A, or just stick my head between my knees & kiss my ass goodbye.

It left, & I've never joked about them since.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Both the Pennsylvania Army Nation Guard at FT Indiantown Gap and the 10th Mountain Div at FT Drum NY have Combat Aviation Brigades and would be in the general direction you indicated. One of them might be self-deploying for training at FT Polk/Joint Readiness Training Center. But I think at least part of the 10th Cbt Avn Bde is in Afghanistan. And of course this a just a wild ass guess based on very little info grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some of you may have read about the combat exercise they held here at Hill AFB, Utah Monday. We have the first full wing (three squadrons) of operational F-35s here. One squadron of 24 aircraft is deployed to the sandbox right now ( and flying combat mission very successfully). The other two squadrons, to celebrate the receipt of their full complement of planes, launched all 52 assigned and spare aircraft here in a 10-minute timeframe, flew training sorties and came back to land. I happened to be on base about landing time, and it was quite the airshow, I assure you!

It was a coincidence that it happened just after Iran made threats, but it certainly was timely!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The jets were going over all morning here. First time in over a month.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Ya ever been out waterin your pot patch on the wildlife refuge and the same helicopter just seems to be standoffish 3/4 mile away the whole time?

Me neither

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Loose lips, sink ships!

😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Some of you may have read about the combat exercise they held here at Hill AFB, Utah Monday. We have the first full wing (three squadrons) of operational F-35s here. One squadron of 24 aircraft is deployed to the sandbox right now ( and flying combat mission very successfully). The other two squadrons, to celebrate the receipt of their full complement of planes, launched all 52 assigned and spare aircraft here in a 10-minute timeframe, flew training sorties and came back to land. I happened to be on base about landing time, and it was quite the airshow, I assure you!

It was a coincidence that it happened just after Iran made threats, but it certainly was timely!

That must have been one heck of a MITO launch. I always prefered the launch. Recovery was a b!tch... grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Petroleum Helicopters used my old house as a reference point on the way to the rigs in the Gulf.

They weren’t black so I can talk about them.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunzo
The ones I watched were Chinooks & Blackhawks mostly but I didn't look at every group.

I don't talk about that anymore. I used to tell my wife I'd be home if the black helicopters didn't get me. Then one afternoon one of them circled my house, 5 times, really low. I couldn't decide if I should run inside & grab the M1A, or just stick my head between my knees & kiss my ass goodbye.

I've seen them too.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rocky that would have been quite a sight!

Was that the elephant walk?

The F35 is an extremely loud fighter. I have been at Williamtown airbase, north of Newcastle, NSW, when they have been taking off, and landing. So much louder than the classic F/A18 they are replacing here. I believe they are not allowed to make full military takeoffs due to noise restrictions.

I will miss seeing the Hornets around. They are being phased out over the next year or so. We still get the Growlers and Supers from other squadrons here though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My second cousins son-in-laws stepmothers half brothers wife's nephew's girlfriends father said that his co-workers wife's hairdressers uncle from a previous marriage told her that he heard that something was about to go down...................whatever that means.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Petroleum Helicopters used my old house as a reference point on the way to the rigs in the Gulf.

They weren’t black so I can talk about them.

The ones we flew on were blue and white, then there was another company that had the yellow helicopters.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I haven't seen a thing....

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo

if it was circling you were ok, if you looked at it and saw it head on with lots of flashes you were screwed.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Military training exercise somewhere maybe?

The Army had one in town here in western KY this past summer:

https://www.thegleaner.com/story/ne...scheduled-thursday-henderson/1764838001/

https://www.thegleaner.com/story/ne...rmy-thankfully-only-training/1780036001/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

592 members (06hunter59, 22250rem, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,539
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.