Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#14444648 01/07/20
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Anyone make their own? Anyone like an Old-Fashioned?

I started a couple years ago and have worked up a couple recipes I really like and they have been very well-received. Anyone else?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I started a couple years ago and have worked up a couple recipes I really like and they have been very well-received. Anyone else?

An old fashioned...what?

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
An old-fashioned is a currently (very) popular bourbon-based cocktail.

Generally it is highball glass with a bit of citrus peel rubbed around the rim, two ice cubes, two shots of bourbon, a few dashes of bitters, and citrus peel garnish.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My version is similar, but I use the citrus peel to transport a bittering bitters first. Then a couple ice cubes, bourbon, and some aromatic bitters. The garnish is still citrus peel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't forget sugar or simple syrup in your old fashioned. Back in the '60s at least old fashons were popular with women while men drank Manhattans. Or dry martinis.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I admire your determination in making bitters. Have a bottle of Angostura mainly for cooking and it must be nearly 20 years old. How can you tell if its gone bad - turns sweet?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender

An old fashioned...what?

wink

They're not all bourbon based - but they are all whisky based.

[Linked Image from lcbo.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Don't forget sugar or simple syrup in your old fashioned. Back in the '60s at least old fashons were popular with women while men drank Manhattans. Or dry martinis.

Yup, forgot the simple syrup. And sugar is out because it does not dissolve reliably. I generally skip the sugar.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nighthawk
I admire your determination in making bitters. Have a bottle of Angostura mainly for cooking and it must be nearly 20 years old. How can you tell if its gone bad - turns sweet?

It is very trendy these days... There is even a shop in the Sea-Tac airport that makes a huge number of different bitters and that is all they sell.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

An old fashioned...what?

wink

They're not all bourbon based - but they are all whisky based.

[Linked Image from lcbo.com]

You are correct.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I went to a wedding once in Wisconsin (maybe 20 years ago). They had keg beer and pitchers of old fashions. I think its the #1 cocktail in WI.

I prefer a manhattan.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a buddy who makes his own bitters. Its good stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any recipes for bitters?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Every bar has Angostura because it's the most available. It's certainly not the best. My wife likes Manhattans, so I've experimented with a variety of Vermouths and bitters.

Peycheaux is "lighter" with a bit too much cinnamon-like note.

Scrappy's is okay. Wife doesn't care for it, but I use it in gin.

Fee Brothers is the best we've found so far. Complex and deeply flavored. I buy the 13-oz size and refill my 5-oz bar bottle as needed.

Fee Bros makes a dozen or more kinds of bitters. I use their Old Fashioned, Orange, and Lemon kinds. A dash of Orange in gin is fabulous.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

An old fashioned...what?

wink

Once, at a wonderful bar/eatery that no longer exists in Virginia, Minnesota, I ordered an old fashioned and got exactly that response from the waitress. We explained that she should just tell the bartender and that he would know what to do. Her response was, "No, he won't." My back was to the opening into the bar, and one of our group said that they were talking, then that he was getting a bottle of vodka, then that he had put it back and was on the phone. When the drink eventually arrived, it was quite passable.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Fee Bros makes a dozen or more kinds of bitters. I use their Old Fashioned, Orange, and Lemon kinds. A dash of Orange in gin is fabulous.

I bet a dash of their lime bitters would be a nice touch for a gin & tonic.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 5sdad

An old fashioned...what?

wink

Once, at a wonderful bar/eatery that no longer exists in Virginia, Minnesota, I ordered an old fashioned and got exactly that response from the waitress. We explained that she should just tell the bartender and that he would know what to do. Her response was, "No, he won't." My back was to the opening into the bar, and one of our group said that they were talking, then that he was getting a bottle of vodka, then that he had put it back and was on the phone. When the drink eventually arrived, it was quite passable.

Why don't they have a copy of the Mr. Boston guide behind the bar?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Every bar has Angostura because it's the most available. It's certainly not the best. My wife likes Manhattans, so I've experimented with a variety of Vermouths and bitters.

Peycheaux is "lighter" with a bit too much cinnamon-like note.

Scrappy's is okay. Wife doesn't care for it, but I use it in gin.

Fee Brothers is the best we've found so far. Complex and deeply flavored. I buy the 13-oz size and refill my 5-oz bar bottle as needed.

I have made lots of different citrus tinctures to mix into the bitters... so far, navel oranges have proven the poorest for flavor. Grapefruit is reliably good, tangerines are good, but lemon and lime have proven to be a bit bland. Living this far from decent produce makes it tough to get much variety.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

I bet a dash of their lime bitters would be a nice touch for a gin & tonic.

Hey Math, bit off track, but you started it !

There is also quite the variety of tonic waters available now too.

We've been enjoying the Fever Tree varieties for the last couple of months.

https://fever-tree.com/en_US

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Any recipes for bitters?

There are lots of bitters recipes on the internet and almost all give a bunch of ingredients and says to cover them with everclear or vodka and let them sit for 2-4 weeks. That does not make sense to me because you do not know which component made the difference, good or bad.

I make tinctures of all sorts of spices, roots, leaves, fruits, etc. and then mix them. The base of most commercial bittering bitters is gentian bark. I made a couple quarts of it and start there. My latest success is a mocha bitters and a bit of it on vanilla bean ice cream is killer!

It has gentian, coffee, cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla, licorice seed and root, brown sugar simple syrup, ginger, and fennel.

I made one for Christmas with all the expected Christmasy spices.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.