Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think Bill’s is a push feed too.

As for feeding I would say both are acceptable if fixed. The 700 DM of mine is finicky. It feeds about as well as your old Mashburn PF70 that Bill has now. As in, it will feed if you work the bolt with authority quickly, but it pushes the round to the right if you move too slow.

My other 70s and 700s all feed without issue.

Last edited by joelkdouglas; 01/10/20.
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
Originally Posted by gunner500
Funny stuff, never saw a 70 fail either, but did get in a hurry with some buds running and gunning a 700 and short stroked the sombitch. blush

And even if/when I have a rifle problem during hunting season it’s still my fault, because I should have figured that [bleep] out before the season started!

I’m not suggesting the 70 is a poor action. I just don’t warm up to it.

They can ALL have problems, if some were indeed bullet proof, no replacement repair parts would have ever been made, try as I might, pretty sure I'm never going have to buy a replacement head for my 8# splitting maul ; ]

Trump Won!
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Sounds like if I buy a model 70 classic with either moa or earlier trigger, in 30’06, 270 win, etc.....I can remove a spacer or put a 375 h&h mag in to get 3.6” oal cartridges in it?? Just confirming I’m reading right....

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
And maybe change the magazine follower, shorten ejector, open loading port. But a 375 H&H mag may be too wide and allow the cartridges to sit too low to feed well.

Last edited by utah708; 01/12/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Funny stuff, never saw a 70 fail either, but did get in a hurry with some buds running and gunning a 700 and short stroked the sombitch. blush

And even if/when I have a rifle problem during hunting season it’s still my fault, because I should have figured that [bleep] out before the season started!

They can ALL have problems, if some were indeed bullet proof, no replacement repair parts would have ever been made, try as I might, pretty sure I'm never going have to buy a replacement head for my 8# splitting maul ; ]

That’s a fact Gunner!

Yeah, the rifles you’re talking about Joel were Bills PF 300, my old Masher, and Bills old 700 7 Rem Mag. Not saying that Pre 64’s don’t have issues and the Classics can be parts rifles in a box but if they are worked out they are pretty damned hard to make act poorly.

Saying that, 700’s don’t bother me either. But like Gunner, things just break in my paws sometimes...

Semper Fi
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
When you put a barrel on the model 70, true the action.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by beretzs

That’s a fact Gunner!

Yeah, the rifles you’re talking about Joel were Bills PF 300, my old Masher, and Bills old 700 7 Rem Mag. Not saying that Pre 64’s don’t have issues and the Classics can be parts rifles in a box but if they are worked out they are pretty damned hard to make act poorly.

Saying that, 700’s don’t bother me either. But like Gunner, things just break in my paws sometimes...

And even the PF70s are darn good. Like Gunner said I agree they can all have problems. My CRF 70 is a newer version, I’ve never had a Pre-64.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by keith
When you put a barrel on the model 70, true the action.

While I agree, my smith suggests most benefit little from this work and prefers to check them first.

Last edited by nksmfamjp; 01/12/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ive had plenty 700's fail to extract too. Finaly said im never buying another one of those sob's again. I dont trust them. Never had a pre 64 fail for any reason.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ive short stroked my left hand 870 wingmaster while shooting doubles trap. Usually recovered and busted the bird when it was falling hard and fast though. I love Remington shotguns. Remington rifles and 22lr ammo, not so much. Seen far too many duds there

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
The best feature of the Model 70 is it’s 1/2 lb heavier than a 700 and is almost as good.

You are kidding with the almost as good part, right?

I think the Model 70 receiver is fine. I have a couple. But I like the 700 and the 700 clones better, feel more comfortable to me.

All the other stuff, like CRF, open vs enclosed trigger, integral lug, etc is different, but not better than the 700. In statistically insignificant statements, I’ve seen more problems with Model 70s in the field than I’ve seen with 700s.

I think the best receiver might be the Model 70 Push Feed.

You really are out in left field, ain't ya??? laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Scotty does have a Pre-64 30-06 featherweight I would be willing to give a try...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You'd use the rest of your 700's to hang tomato vines.. grin

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Ive short stroked my left hand 870 wingmaster while shooting doubles trap. Usually recovered and busted the bird when it was falling hard and fast though. I love Remington shotguns. Remington rifles and 22lr ammo, not so much. Seen far too many duds there

Yup, wingmasters and featherweights make the world go round. The rest is kinda...meh

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by nksmfamjp
Sounds like if I buy a model 70 classic with either moa or earlier trigger, in 30’06, 270 win, etc.....I can remove a spacer or put a 375 h&h mag in to get 3.6” oal cartridges in it?? Just confirming I’m reading right....

For a Win M70 Classic, as Utah said, shorten or replace the ejector and the bolt stop. Acquire a longer magazine cartridge follower. Mag box: simple way is to drill or dremel the spot welds on the rear of the factory mag box to remove the 0.200" spacer. Cleaner way is to purchase a .375H&H length mag box with out the spacer. Although not sure if it will work with 0.473" base cartridges. Probably will NOT need to enlarge the ejection port, which is a good thing. Many more options for scope bases and mounts for the standard 0.860" scope hole spacing versus the long magnum 0.330" scope bases.

FWIW, Redneck here on 24HCF would be a good resource if you wanted to just pay a Winchester M70 knowledgeable 'smith to do the work.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yeah, those sacks gave me some kind of short barreled m700 in 308 Winchester with either an aimpoint or eo-tech on it, hell fire and brimstone, I short stroked a short action! blush

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
You'd use the rest of your 700's to hang tomato vines.. grin

laugh

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yeah, those sacks gave me some kind of short barreled m700 in 308 Winchester with either an aimpoint or eo-tech on it, hell fire and brimstone, I short stroked a short action! blush

Well, that would be like a gorilla trying to ride a tricycle. What did you expect?

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, sombitch had a threaded barrel too, no telling what they'd been out doing! wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I think Bill’s is a push feed too.

As for feeding I would say both are acceptable if fixed. The 700 DM of mine is finicky. It feeds about as well as your old Mashburn PF70 that Bill has now. As in, it will feed if you work the bolt with authority quickly, but it pushes the round to the right if you move too slow.

My other 70s and 700s all feed without issue.

IMO, nothing feeds like a M70 (except a 03 Springfield, which is basically cone-breeched the same way - imitation, flattery, and all).
I have 3 Pre-64s and one post 64 full length classic, and they are sweet, but I recently got a stainless 270 WSM which has a 3.00" magazine and that dang thing will cycle and feed a magazine full of EMPTY cases, those short, fat, steep-shouldered 270WSM cases, in and out of the chamber slicker than owl snot. Feeding just doesn't get any better than that, IMO.
The Rem 700 is a darn fine action and probably superior in inherent accuracy to the M70, but feeding-wise there's no contest. When it absolutely positively has to go BANG, the second (or third, or forth) time, use a model 70!

Cheers,
Rex

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.