Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
a lot has changed [maybe] what are you ounce counters carrying these days ?

Big game , predators , camp knives in the backcountry ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
There should be a thread a couple pages down that has a lot of good knife info.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The thread is gene Ingram knives....

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A Benchmade Bugout checks a lot of boxes.

EXTREMELY light, sharp, good steel, reasonable price, compact.

I have one in my pack at all times.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The Benchmade Altitude at under 2 ounces is popular with the ounce counters.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
IC B2

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Both those Benchmades look great - really liking that bright blue model . Both under 2oz. - American made too - that huge with me .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Might look at a tyto.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cold Steel Canadian Belt knife. Light, cheap, ok steel, excellent ergonomics

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Benchmade Bugout weighs 1.8 oz on my scale and is a LOT of blade for the weight. I keep one clipped to my sweat pants I wear at night- can't even tell it's there. Started doing that after I got attacked by the neighbor's dog late one night. Long story. I'll be carrying it on my next backpack hunt and any backpacking prior to that. Don't see why I couldn't take an elk apart with it including skinning. I also bought my daughter one for her solo South America trekking. There might be a better 1.8 oz knife out there but I'm not even looking- the Bugout is awesome.

The blue version is nice for not losing it in the woods, I guess, but I got the tan version with the black, coated blade, which is a much classier looking knife.

Edit: the Bugout also uses the same S30V steel that they use on the Grizzly Ridge, which is my daily carry knife. While I haven't sharpened my Bugout yet, I use the Griz hard and sharpen it often. Takes and holds an edge very well. I've taken apart and skinned 2 deer with it too. Good steel.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 01/10/20.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought one of these last fall for a light packing knife. Used on a moose and 1 deer. I like it.

https://argalioutdoors.com/collections/knives/products/carbon-knife

Do or do not, there is no try.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ol_mike
a lot has changed [maybe] what are you ounce counters carrying these days ?

I've been carrying a Bucklite folder for 30 years. Now have 4-5 of them. My fav is a blaze orange handle that was given to me as a tip when guiding.

They are easy to sharpen and keep a decent edge.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like this for a lightweight pocket folder.

KNIVES OF ALASKA Model # 392FG WEIGHS 2.3OZ. 4.18 CLOSED and 7.50 Open. Feather Light Hunter Orange G-10 and the Blade is D2 Serrated .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIVES-OF-ALASKA-POCKET-KNIFE-392FG-D2-BLADE-SERRATED-ORANGE-G10-OD-FEATHERLIGHT/371802348489?hash=item5691259bc9:g:NxoAAOSwiONYPdA~

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Benchmade Bugout weighs 1.8 oz on my scale and is a LOT of blade for the weight. I keep one clipped to my sweat pants I wear at night- can't even tell it's there. Started doing that after I got attacked by the neighbor's dog late one night. Long story. I'll be carrying it on my next backpack hunt and any backpacking prior to that. Don't see why I couldn't take an elk apart with it including skinning. I also bought my daughter one for her solo South America trekking. There might be a better 1.8 oz knife out there but I'm not even looking- the Bugout is awesome.

The blue version is nice for not losing it in the woods, I guess, but I got the tan version with the black, coated blade, which is a much classier looking knife.

Edit: the Bugout also uses the same S30V steel that they use on the Grizzly Ridge, which is my daily carry knife. While I haven't sharpened my Bugout yet, I use the Griz hard and sharpen it often. Takes and holds an edge very well. I've taken apart and skinned 2 deer with it too. Good steel.

I carried a Griptilian for EDC for many years but once I got a hold of the Bugout with the OD green handle I was sold. Love the blade shape and S30V, although I've had coated blades that got all scarred up before and am usually not a fan. I'll take my chances with this one though. Add the fact that it was a gift from my son and it's a no brainer.

Last edited by Blacktail308; 01/14/20.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-Straight-Paring-3-25-Inch/dp/B0019WXPQY

1.6 OZ, under $10. But you might have to find/make your own sheath.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cwh2

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cutlery-Straight-Paring-3-25-Inch/dp/B0019WXPQY

These are outstanding little knives, I use them in the kitchen all the time. they don't hold an edge long but sharpen easily. Great value. They make a wooden handled version too which I like.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I been meanin to order some Moro's for a few years. They're under 2 oz.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been running Kestrel’s for 4 years now and have no complaints. My favorite and most used is the skeleton short ovis hunter. Weighs around 1.5 ounces with sheath.

Last edited by LeftHunter; 01/14/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After almost a year of watching eBay, I finally found a good deal on a Benchmade Altitude- it's certainly light and the steel really holds an edge (evidently some kind of rare Elvish steel :D)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2

I have a couple of those. I found some cheapo plastic sheaths someplace in anchorage.

Wanna say a knife store on north side of 5th. near JCP?
Damn remembery.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That'd be Northern Knives. Been a while since I've been in there.

Gear Shed in Homer used to have Kydex sheaths that fit them. Cost more than the knives, but worth it. I made a few kydex sheaths too. They are pretty easy.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. Couldn’t remember the name.

Also can’t remember which of these sheaths came ftom there and which came from a fish gear shop.

White handle knife is a Dexter but similar to the vickies.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
at some point someone was selling the Vic paring knives w/ a kydex sheath- I picked up one

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A knife is that last place I want or need to shed weight. To each their own I suppose.

Sort of like the cyclist with carbon frame and components, and heavy wheels. Just doesn't add up and make sense.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MCH, I don't see how that sentence/analogy works, though I agree about the heavy wheels.

A knife is an excellent place for most guys to shed weight IMHO. Low-hanging fruit. Unless you are full-on bushcrafting why would any backpack hunter need a heavy knife?

Wife and I are moving our backpacking gear towards ultralight so yes, I'm an ounce weenie. smile They add up.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MCH, I don't see how that sentence/analogy works, though I agree about the heavy wheels.

A knife is an excellent place for most guys to shed weight IMHO. Low-hanging fruit. Unless you are full-on bushcrafting why would any backpack hunter need a heavy knife?

Wife and I are moving our backpacking gear towards ultralight so yes, I'm an ounce weenie. smile They add up.

If you want to skimp on a subpar designed knife that's on you.

A knife is probably the most used tool you will have. The minimal weight you are saving results in poor design. Weight can also aid in cutting. A proper knife for backpacking isn't heavy enough to shave weight on and even if you do shave a little its nothing you will ever notice. Add to the fact a knife to be used should be carried on ones belt where it is always in reach and handy. Not in a pack! So weight isn't an issue.

If you need to shave weight that much then you have way to much trash already in your pack. It will serve you much better to cut that trash out of your pack than from the tool you will use more than any other.

A great place to shave weight is actually your pack itself! I have hiked the AT and about 2/3's of the PCT. I have climbed a number of Peaks in the US and Abroad, never have I said to myself dam my knife should be lighter. Never!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Couldn't agree more Jeff.

Most of my friends have gone to the Havalon Pranta for BP hunting. For 3 oz's you have a knive with 4 extra blades. Me, I've settled on the 1.6oz Opinel no.8 for hunting (available in carbon or stainless), and a small 1.1oz Arkansas stone for touchup.

If I'm backpacking and fishing I use the .9 oz Opinel no.6, otherwise a little Victorinox Classic at less than at .9 oz is ideal. I've never seen the need for more of a knife than the Opinel no.6 for backpacking, and it would work on an elk too, but I prefer the fuller sized no.8...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Two I usually pack are a Moki Banff and a BM Steepcountry.

2.7 and 3.7 oz’s respectively.

I guess if one were to get super weight weenie a Vicky in Kydex would save a few oz’s. I’d want two though. Maybe hacksaw off a short 4 or 6” section of a rod like this to sharpen if carrying just one.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/de...ul-KN5wIVkiCtBh2AJAG7EAQYAiABEgJnl_D_BwE
Being hollow it wouldn’t weigh much.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I use a knife very little when backpacking my tiny Gerber has got me through every trip . But i could use something that held a better edge - or i could be more mindful of not abusing the edge .
I've never needed any of the ''bushcrafting'' knives or batoning skills while backpacking .

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will qualify my answer of the Benchmade Altitude and Havalon, that if I’m hot tenting I add a Fallkniven S1 (and a light saw) to process wood- the S1 is heavy (not crazy heavy- 6 oz) but much lighter than a small hatchet

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I use a knife very little when backpacking my tiny Gerber has got me through every trip . But i could use something that held a better edge - or i could be more mindful of not abusing the edge .

Sort of a contradiction! If you use it so little why isn't it holding an edge? That little of abuse should be no problem.

Three inch blade has done the job for me no problem. When I am burning wood I carry a Silky Zubat. Light and small enough and can cut anything I need cutting.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Benchmade Altitude. Love that thing! I’ve deboned an elk and a Mule deer and it’s still fine.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Deer and elk: havalon + 3 extra blades, Vicky, cheapo pull-thru hand sharpener for Vicky.

I sharpen the Victorinox prior to trip via lansky to where it takes off swaths of arm hair without effort.

Moose: add a knife with some backbone, because the havalon bogs down in thick hide when skinning.

I wouldn't be without a Victorinox when boning an animal - the flexible blade makes life grand.

Brad's Opinel units look interesting.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

If you want to skimp on a subpar designed knife that's on you.

A knife is probably the most used tool you will have. The minimal weight you are saving results in poor design. Weight can also aid in cutting. A proper knife for backpacking isn't heavy enough to shave weight on and even if you do shave a little its nothing you will ever notice. Add to the fact a knife to be used should be carried on ones belt where it is always in reach and handy. Not in a pack! So weight isn't an issue.

If you need to shave weight that much then you have way to much trash already in your pack. It will serve you much better to cut that trash out of your pack than from the tool you will use more than any other.

A great place to shave weight is actually your pack itself! I have hiked the AT and about 2/3's of the PCT. I have climbed a number of Peaks in the US and Abroad, never have I said to myself dam my knife should be lighter. Never!

I cannot wear anything on a belt while backpacking, due to waistbelt interference. Strapping things to the waistbelt might work, but then I'd want it with the backpack off. The bino chest purse is a good place for such things.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Vek

I cannot wear anything on a belt while backpacking, due to waistbelt interference. Strapping things to the waistbelt might work, but then I'd want it with the backpack off. The bino chest purse is a good place for such things.

I carry there as well while hunting. Backpacking I carry fixed in the lid and folder in my pocket. Not sure how I manage all that weight, but I do. smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
LOL.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The new Benchmade Mini Bugout weighs in @ 1.5oz and is available in an orange color. I may have to try one!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just realized that the old school Gerber Pixie that I have might be the perfect backpacking knife.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Plus, tons of style points!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Odd that Havalon blades have not made it into this thread. If I’m big game hunting, I have one. If not, I have a little liner lock folder.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ah, I see the thread is older than my left hip. Apologies.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Odd that Havalon blades have not made it into this thread.

Several of us have talked about them on this thread...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yup. Slow on the uptake, sorry.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Big game? I assume you are talking about gut / skin / quarter. In the past when I'm concerned about weight I have used a pair of Gerber LSTs, one is the 2nd smallest size, the other the Magnum. More recently I have replaced the Magnum LST with a Benchmade "Steep Country". Also pretty fond of the Cold Steel Pendleton Mini. Sometimes I'll slip one of the Buck skelton knives in my pack as a backup to my backup. they're awkward / uncomfortable but sharpen up ok and hold an edge long enough to finish a job. Not sure I'd buy them again, but since I have 'em .. y know.

Predators .. what, like fighting bears and cougars and the like? I hope not to use a knife for that, I pack a gun and will happily use it.

Camp .. I don't carry a camp knife. Anything I need to cut I can cut with the smaller Gerber or rip it apart with a titanium spork.

When I'm just out day hiking and messing with trail cams then sometimes I'll carry bushcrafting type knives, a hatchet, or even a big chisel to build "hides" for trail cameras in downed logs or the thick bark of fire-killed trees.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.